Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2004, 08:14 PM   #1

Got alittle gear grindage when I tried to shift after a drag race.

Well, I don't think this is anything to worry about but you can't be to careful. I raced a 98 mustang cobra the other night(kicked his ass btw) and after the race I pushed in the clutch and took it out of 3rd gear which is about 95mph at redline. I was coasting from 90-95mph after the race then I decided to throw it back in 3rd at approx 75mph to let the engine drag abit. The shifter balked and it grinded abit when I tried to put it back in 3rd. I didn't force it and just let it coast some more. After I stopped it seemed to work just fine and no grinding has occured since. I did a super quick shift into 3rd(with no grinding) when I was racing so I thought that maybe I messed something up, but the car can handle fast shifts. My question is, why would the gears grind if the clutch is completely compressed?

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:53 AM   #2

I've noticed something similar to this in my Boxster on a couple of occasions. Every time it has happened to me is when I am about to make a turn or stop and down shift into a gear that is too slow to handle my current speed (intending to keep the clutch depressed until I have slowed down or stopped of course). I always assumed it was the car keeping me from destroying it.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:03 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Synchromech? Might check that out, not sure.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote