Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #1

I hate this about my car

Ok I have read post about this before but its has not answered my question. My car vibrates or shakes and you can feel it through the steering wheel when I go 85 to 95 mph then its goes away and comes back at 106 and then goes a fades a little at 110. at 35 mph it makes a howling noise like tire sound. Mechanic said its not wheel bearing. The allignment seems fine. I have ballanced it twice before but I think I should do it again. one of my rear wheels is missing a lug nut because the tire center lost it. maybe thats a reason I dont know. All i know is that Its very tiresome driving my car fast because it vibrates too much. I have a corolla and it goes these speeds with ease with no fuss. I get too much feedback from the road. on bad roads i feel like its gonna vibrate off the road. My suspension seems very stiff too maybe thats why. The mechanic said my tires are not too smooth. theyre fairly new tho, although cheap. Im running Sumotumo HTRZII all around.

any Ideas guys?

Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
First thing is first,get another lug bolt.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #3

probably good idea to keep it under 100 until you do get that lug nut.
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 AM   #4

I don't think there is anything wrong with your car other than missing a lug bolt. My boxster shakes a little too sometimes and has stiff suspension. This car is going to give you more road feedback than a Corolla because it's a sports car, not an econo grocery getter.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #5

The first set of tires I put on my boxster had at least one out of round tire, and it caused the exact problems you are describing. I bought a set of Sumitomo HTRZII's and had them road-force balanced on a Hunter 9700 series machine and the problem went away... the car was smooth at any speed.

As others said, get that missing lug nut on the wheel and drive it again at 85 and see how it acts. If it vibrates, I'd say you should get the front wheels road-forced balanced. Some Discount Tire Company stores have the machine.

Then drive the car again. If this doesn't fix the problem, I'd say one or both of the front tires are out of round. There's no way to fix this that I know of.

My out of round tires were Kumho's, by the way ... another budget tire for our cars.

My third set of tires, required for larger rims I purchased at the beginning of this year, are Michelins. I spent the big bucks for two primary reasons:

1. I have far better wet traction and they're far less noisy than cheap tires as they've worn. My Kumho's got really loud after about 7,500 miles.
2. None of them are out of round, and I have zero vibration other than road feel response, which we need to drive safely at speed.

Hope this helps!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:49 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i had vibrations that you are describing when i didn't have all 5 lug nuts when my key for opening the lug nuts broke. ordered new lug nuts and put them on, problem solved.
do that first, get the lug nut, and go from there
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #7

Isn't it dangerous to be driving with a missing lug nut?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #8

It's even worse on these cars since we don't have lug studs and lug nuts. As blinkwatt said, we have straight-up lug BOLTS.

I wouldn't feel too comfortable driving around at high speeds with one missing.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #9

Despite what your mechanic says about the wheel bearing, it could still be damaged. When your car is jacked up and the mechanic does the usual shaking of the tire and rim to see if it shimys back and forth to tell him that the wheel bearing is good or bad, this may not show it as being bad. It could still NOT have any movement and the bearing internaly could still be damaged because of the seals being broken or dented along the outside or inside rings. The bearing will still move without any obvious wheel slack, but may show or even sound like a humming noise at higher speeds.

I would still get that lug nut put on before you change out the wheel bearing. But if is the rear wheel that is missing the lug nut, I don't think you would feel it come up through the steering wheel.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #10

I am a big fan of getting the wheels road force balanced with a Hunter machine. I was having trouble with some vibration until I tried thier machines.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #11

me too. Had that vibration until Hunter balancing.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah it wold be very dangerous to drive w one missing, but i guess if you only drive like that for a day or 2, but definitely not pushing the car like that and getting it up to 3 digits...
in my case the lug nut tool just broke in half, so went to the shop and got them taken out, and in the meantime i ordered some lug nuts that were off of gt2 (thats another performance mod right there hehehe, lol) and they came in within 2 days so it wasnt that bad.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil
me too. Had that vibration until Hunter balancing.
Pecivil, can you tell me where to get a Hunter balancing in San Diego?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
Pecivil, can you tell me where to get a Hunter balancing in San Diego?
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 07-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
and in the meantime i ordered some lug nuts that were off of gt2 (thats another performance mod right there hehehe, lol)
Yeah, that should be good for at least 2 HP or so.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #16

Im gonna get my missing lug nut from performance products, since it came with my H&R 15mm spacers. so is road force ballancing the same as ballancing? and do most reputable tire shops use the hunter 9700? I got my tires mounted and ballanced at a local tire shop (firestone) and so I didnt ask what they used. I think my mechanic said my tire was out of round.
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Old 08-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #17

I was told the hunter machine only runs the wheels up to the equivilent of 65 mph . Is this true? The poster said he gets vibrations at 85-95 mph. How does the hunter machine work?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I was told the hunter machine only runs the wheels up to the equivilent of 65 mph . Is this true? The poster said he gets vibrations at 85-95 mph. How does the hunter machine work?
U can "gram" balance tires on most of the high end tire balancers..

instead of 1/4 oz increments in weight, the balacer can call for 1.34 oz and so forth.... works pretty good for high speed balancing..

the vibration sounds like a tire problem to me..

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #19

What is the typical price for a Roadforce Hunter balancing? I've been quoted $50 at one shop, and as much as $100 at another shop... What do you guys normally pay for this?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #20

when i replaced my rear tires i changed my front ones too and the front ones were used for 3 months on a mercedes. I think the front may be out of round. if this is the problem how can it be fixed? Im gonna take my car to the tire shop next week.