Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #1

Getting Stereo Ready

When I first got my 2000 base boxster I upgraded the stereo with the following:

Replaced door, dash, and rear speakers with JL audio units

Replaced the factory CD player with a Pioneer head unit with XM satellite radio

Powered the speakers with a JL Audio "Slash" series amp 4x75 watts (I am running the dash and rear speakers in parallel off of two channels and the door speakers of the other two channels, I had to stick a resistor across the rear speakers to bring the volume down to an appropriate level).

The Stereo sounds pretty good, much better than the factory setup, but I has always been lacking in bass. Well on the recommendation of others on the board, I have ordered one of the custom 8" JL sub enclosures that will live in the footwell on the right side of the car. I will be powering the sub with another JL Audio "Slash" series amp. The amp puts out 300 wats in bridged mode, so it should be more than enough for the 8" sub. Those two amps are pretty big and I was not sure how to have them mounted.

I chose to put them on the sides of the front trunk, which seemed to work out OK. I should have the sub in about a week and I will put it in then start messing around with my 1/3 octave RTA (real time analyzer) and a pink noise CD and the equalizer in the Pioneer head unit to dial in the sub with the other speakers. While I was messing around with the other amp I also added a pioneer adapator for my ipod which is the white wire hanging out below the radio. Should be fun,

Ed

:dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #2

Dude, vacuum your car out!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:19 AM   #3

"Dude, vacuum your car out!"

Amem, I had just done it earlier that day, but was then mucking around with the head unit. I dont kown about others, but the black interiors are hard to keep clean. I will vacuum it out and shampoo the carpets and in a day to two of normal driving with the top down in centeral virginia, it looks like it does in the photo. If there is a next boxster, I am going for the grey interior....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote