Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #1

2001 boxster s blown engine?

Hi,
Brand new to forum and seeking advice. Have owned my 01 Boxster S for about a year now with no problems. Has 51,000 miles on it. Last week while driving down highway, motor started losing power, making noise and then died. When front was being lifted onto tow truck, it was apparent that most of the oil was leaking out. The mechanic I have it at now has not torn it down yet, but while up on lift, said there was some object he could detect in the transmission housing, plus appeared that the oil leaked out between the transmission housing and engine. I am waiting on him to pull transmission to see what the problem is and he is not very hopeful the diagnosis is going to be good. I am afraid that something came apart in the engine and possibly looking at engine replacement. Very likely this is the situation and if so, wondering what might be best option, remanufacturored engine, trying to rebuild the original or ??? Of course I am speculating at this point, but not sure what else could have come off between engine and transmission that would have made engine quit PLUS all the oil to leak out.
Thanks

koboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #2

oh boy! sorry about that!
I am no expert but could it be the "famous" Rear Main Seal that failed?
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #3

It sounds like the Intermediate Shaft failed. It's an all too common Boxster problem. You can use the search function to find all the information you care to read about them. Unfortunately, if I'm right, you'll need a new engine.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Scrap the 3.2L that came with it,fit a 3.6L in there.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #5

I hope you have a warranty...

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:48 AM   #6

I'm with Grizz, sounds like an IMS failure. Koboxster, if the engine is shot then replacement comes next. Nobody rebuilds these things...they just throw them away and replace like tissue paper. I don't think Porsche will even sell the M96 engine components, if something is slighty out of spec or broken they just want you to replace the whole damn engine!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I'm with Grizz, sounds like an IMS failure. Koboxster, if the engine is shot then replacement comes next. Nobody rebuilds these things...they just throw them away and replace like tissue paper. I don't think Porsche will even sell the M96 engine components, if something is slighty out of spec or broken they just want you to replace the whole damn engine!
Actually, Porsche has a new engine "Tear down" policy. Instead of just authorizing a full engine replacement off the start, they now ask dealers to first tear down the engine to see if it can be fixed at the facility. Here's a recent post on another board about a guy who just went through this:

"
Quick re-cap from my previous post: 2003 Boxster with 33K. Engine quit Saturday while driving 75mph on the highway.

1. MarcW was right on. I picked up my loaner car today and spoke with the dealer and the regional Porsche rep who happened to be at the shop. MarcW is correct. Porsche has changed their policy of simply replacing 986/996 failed engines with factory rebuilt units fresh from Germany. The new policy requires the dealer to "tear down" the engine and identify whether or not it can be fixed at the dealer‘s service shop.

2. The regional Porsche rep told me that Porsche dealers have had the ability to fix these engines for the past two years, but that most dealers just sent the engines back to Germany and replaced them with a factory rebuilt unit. By "ability" he meant the books (directions), tools, and parts.

3. The Porsche rep was as nice as he was honest. I told him that I wouldn't think twice about buying a used Boxster with a factory rebuilt engine, but I would almost certainly think long and hard about a Boxster that had undergone major engine work at the dealer. He agreed that he would do the same. I asked about what types of long-term reliability issues I might have with this engine and he acknowledged that this was an unknown (since this is a new Porsche policy). Not reassuring, but at least he was honest.

4. All agreed that since I was 2 months outside of the factory warranty- I was lucky I had bought a certified pre-owned (CPO) Porsche. Though I have to believe that a Porsche owner 2 months out of warranty with 33,000 miles would be grandfathered in on something this major, but who knows...."

There's more in the post, but basically, you will not automatically get a new engine right off the start anymore. Hope your car is back on the road fast. Good luck.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:14 AM   #8

I would clearly not want a rebuilt by the dealer engine.

This is very bad news.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:47 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I would clearly not want a rebuilt by the dealer engine.

This is very bad news.

Yeah, and I think the down time for the customer is longer this way too. With an engine replacment, they usually can turn it around for you within a few days because Porsche has these engines ready to ship and install. With a tear down, I think you're gonna be waiting for a long time before you get the car back.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #10

I would no how no way consider a Porsche with a dealer rebuilt engine. I remember a few years ago GM having problems with some of the C5 Z06 vettes and their piston rings, and that dealer techs were doing ring jobs to retrofit the updated rings and I said I would never allow that if it were my car.

I'm sorry, but on something like this I would never want a motor that anyone's hands other than those in a certified engine shop had been in. Most discouraging.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #11

kwoboxster

Unfortunately I have no warranty! Anyone have an idea what a factory reman from porsche may cost? I have it at a "porsche only" shop, but is not a dealer. Very experienced shop but they said they have not had to replace an engine on this late model. Also would like more info on this 3.6 engine mentioned.
Thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboxster
Unfortunately I have no warranty! Anyone have an idea what a factory reman from porsche may cost? I have it at a "porsche only" shop, but is not a dealer. Very experienced shop but they said they have not had to replace an engine on this late model. Also would like more info on this 3.6 engine mentioned.
Thanks
I would figure between $8000 and $10,000 for the motor and install.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Also would like more info on this 3.6 engine mentioned.
Thanks
If you have to replace the engine anyway, the 3.6 conversion might be the way to go. It would be a nice power improvement over the Boxster engine. It's not a rocket science conversion. Your Porsche-only shop should be able to complete it without too much difficulty. Check Rennlist. There's a step-by-step guide with photos over there by a guy who did it in his home garage. Of course with horsepower comes price. The swap will probably run you 12-15k.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks
The 3.6L engine mentioned was introduced in 2002 for the 996 model. It has appox 315-320hp in that car depending on year. Those cars had the Bosch Motronic 7.8 ECM. The 7.2 bosch ECM in your 01 S will have to be switched over to the 7.8 for the engine to run properly. You should also change over the complete exhaust to something that flows better otherwise the stock boxster exhaust will choke a 3.6L engine. For you, a realistic cost to switch over would be in the neighborhood of around 20 grand if you don't try to cut corners.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #15

Since many of us live in fear of engine failure (and i think some of us a pretty hazy on the true costs), can anybody post up some hard data (sorry if you are the one who is collecting it firsthand) on:

-total cost new engine replacement ($ cost and which engine, i.e. 2.7, 3.4, etc)
-quotes on in-shop repair costs based on new policy

I would assume that there would need to be a substantial savings in order to make in-shop repair a better option
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #16

One of the problems with the whole, tear down to see if it can be fixed is that you're paying for something that might not result in a rebuild. I asked about this when my engine failed and I was told that while it could be cheaper to fix it - it could also add thousands to the cost if it turns out it can't be fixed. Hence, "new" engine.

I looked around but I can't find my receipt - probably at my Ex-Wife's. I seem to recall that it ran around $11,000 including a new clutch (as long as they were in there). Keep in mind that this was at an independent Porsche shop - the dealership was much more expensive. There's also no reason that you have to get a completely new or factory refurbished engine - that alone would save you quite a bit....

Sorry for your loss. Good luck!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #17

Here's an older thread containing a brand new 3.6L that was for sale for $9,500. I've seen some low mileage used ones in 6-8k range.

Linkage
Old 07-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #18

Hi,

Sounds a lot like Porsche propping up the Dealerships (again). I would estimate that total costs could easily exceed 30% - 50% more than simply slapping in a new, rebuilt (and warranteed), Engine, and they're going to be principally Labor charges, and at Shop Rates (includes Dealer Mark-up). Additionally, the types of implosions these engines usually suffer tends to favor a new engine anyway, by probably a broad margin.

Then, there's the consequential damage, or more specifically checking for it - are the Dealers going to pull and measure every Valve, Piston, Camshaft, and Bearing Shell to insure it didn't suffer from the principal failure (especially important in IMS and RMS Failures)? If so, the Labor costs alone will exceed the cost of the re-man'd Engine.

Boy, this Boxster Ownership thing just keeps on getting better and better doesn't it? I can see the new JD Powers numbers now once this tidbit gets around.

To koboxster, sorry for your plight, hope it all works out...

Happy Motoring!... Jim
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #19

OK, Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like a factory new or reman engine will probably be the way to go. That raises another question though. Could I be looking at another IMS with this new engine someday at 30-50,000 miles or do the new engines have this same possibility??
Old 07-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #20

Quote:
OK, Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like a factory new or reman engine will probably be the way to go. That raises another question though. Could I be looking at another IMS with this new engine someday at 30-50,000 miles or do the new engines have this same possibility??
Hi,

The design issue has not been fixed...

Happy Motoring!... Jim

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote