Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2004, 11:18 AM   #1

What is the Best Air Filter??

Time to replace the air filter and am looking for a performance air filter, all I run into is the K&N are there any better ones out there any help will be appreciated.

jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:18 PM   #2

Air filter debate - sure beats what oil to use.

The stock paper is just fine as it does the job.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:28 PM   #3

Jim Pasha, the writer of the Tech Forum column in Excellence magazine, makes an interesting point on changing the Boxster (and 996) air filter system.
He says that if you change to a K & N or similar type filter that requires the filter element to be oiled, the oil can get on the mass-air sensor wire used to meter the air/fuel mixture, throwing off the calibration. This causes the Motronic computer to turn on the "check engine" light, and the engine power is dialed back until the situation is corrected. His recommendation is to stick with the factory paper filter.
If you have access to a copy of the August, '04 issue of Excellence, the item is on pg. 168.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:30 PM   #4

Tool pants:

You forgot to tell him about pulling the foam off to get better sound [snorkle Vs. de-snorkle], because he will eventually ask you about that and more...
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:25 AM   #5

MrMickeyMouse:

You read my mind!!

I am thinking about de-snorkling my car. Still not sure if it is a good idea or not. I heard it give a throatier sound, but not really interestedin more HP, although i wouldnt mind

This is also the reason why I questioned about the air filter. If it would help airflow after I de-snorkle ( if I do )

"You forgot to tell him about pulling the foam off to get better sound "

What foam, where?

Thanks
jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:00 AM   #6

The stock air filter has a layer of black foam on it that muffles the induction sound. It is easy to pull of and your engine is still protected by the oem paper filter. No oil, check engine lights, or problems.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #7

You will enjoy the sound of the motor as it winds up, sounds really good.

It gives me a better feeling for the motor, since I do a lot of diagnoses through sound and then examination.

There are pictorials on the web how to De snorkle.

If you need one let me know.

It is pretty simple as long as you are careful with the little black tabs holding the side scoop in...

Once there [scoop is out of the way] you need to pull the snorkle out, took some force for me. I also used a little WD-40, it is only a press fit.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:01 PM   #8

The best replacement filter without a doubt is the BMC F1 guys. It is a direct replacement. NO MAF problems because they don't slop on the oil from the factory like the K&N guys do. Adds a few Hp and increases the intake sound. I've put nearly 2k miles on mine since spring and it has been nothing but a slice of heaven. This is one of the best upgrades for the $$$ you can do for your boxster. MSRP $130. Did some searching and found this site that sells it for $70! I am very happy with the product and service.

http://www.eagleday.com/pobmcpefi.html

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote