Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #1

Newbie - Boxster Purchase Advice?

Hi - After many years as a vintage car guy, I have decided to change gears and find a fun (and reliable) convertible. I have always admired the Boxster, and it's a top candidate to be my new purchase (if I can afford it).

However, I don't really know anything about the strength or weaknesses of Boxsters. Would you mind helping me with your opinions on what's the best year, a preferred package - or what to avoid? I am thinking of spending around $20,000 max.

Thanks for any advice! Dickson

dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #2

Here's a start. Search on RandallNeighbor for more.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
the best advices when getting a boxster are getting the newes one you can get and withlowest possible mileage and get the PPI (pre purchase inspection), and warranty. once things start breaking you better have warranty or full wallet.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
I did a lot of research before I got my 2000 boxster. I think you can find a nice one for $20 grand. You can definately get a nice 2.7 for that type of money and you might get lucky and steal an S. My recommendation is the PPI and an extended warranty that covers wear and tear as well as seals and gaskets. If you need a good warranty guy just send me a private message.

I encourage you to scour the dealerships that don't deal with Porsches as those dealers typically send the cars to the auction and they will gladly sell a Boxster at a wholesale price. I got mine from a Jeep dealership last year. My car had only 46000 miles on it and was in excellent condition and I got it for $19000. That same car at Carmax or Porsche would have cost me $23-$24000. I got a 3 year / 36000 mile warranty for something like $2500 or so and I have been enjoying my car and even taking her to the dealership for repairs and my deductible is only $100. They even reimburse me $30 for the rental.

I have driven the 2.5 liter cars and the 3.2 cars and the 2.7 is just fine with me but everyone has their own preferences.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #5

Look around and find the nicest, newest, lowest mileage Boxster you can find.

I found mine about 7 months ago, and got it for $19k. It's a 2001 and only had 40k miles on it. Running fine since I got it, though it does need a new top, and some parts of the interior need a little attention (gonna have some things covered in leather eventually)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #6

Craigslist has 20 in your area

including an S with records for $21k from someone who just bought a Ferrari.

www.craigslist.com and choose denver and then cars and trucks and all and search for Boxster
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #7

Welcome

What kind of cars did you drive? I drove a highly modified 64 MGB for over 16 years and many things before that. I too wanted something a little more reliable and found a 98 Boxster w/Tip and 33K miles for $18K. I looked for a while and found that there were a lot around, if you are willing to travel a bit. Mileage is important, a PPI is the smartest money you can spend and as you get into the winter you will find that the prices go down and the desire to deal goes up. The dealer wanted 23K and we ended up at 18 and he paid for the PPI from my local Porsche dealer. Good luck. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #8

Thanks for the good advice.

I was a vintage mustang guy, having had a number of them and most recently a
'66 Shelby GT-350. However, bang for buck those are unreliable, and they don't perform...My father in law is a Porsche guy, so I'm coming around to what he's been telling me of late. BTW, he has a 911 Turbo S - pretty nice! Dickson
dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #9

I got mine 4 months ago out of Texas I looked for 3 or 4 months and was in no hurry, what i got was the deal of a lifetime a 2000 with 18162 miles and over 18000.00 in aftermarket parts put on the car from Porsch dealership, 911 Enterprises and RUF the car was always kept inside and was only a weekend driver that this guy spent money on it for fun. Always do a carfax and also take it to a Porsche dealership for an inspection. Be patient and it will pay in gold Happy hunting.

p.s. i paid 23000 for the car

Last edited by AZ UFO; 07-23-2007 at 12:50 PM.
AZ UFO is offline   Reply With Quote