Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2002, 09:41 PM   #1
Ken
Bananaman

Sour Grapes

Well I think it is just pretty funny, here's what I got from the PPBB admin in email:

"Yes, you are banned. That means that you are not welcome to post or read the
board, to do so really would be trespassing. This is a privately run
and funded board with no payments taken from any guests. You have worn
out your welcome and we ask that you do not come back. We realize that
you can find many alternative ways to access the board though covert or
other technical means - that does not change the fact that you are not
welcome. With so many other forums for you to discuss cars, we expect
that you will honor our request that you cease visiting the board and
using our hardware and software. We are positive with your
dissatisfaction with the way that the board is run and it's management,
this will not be a problem."

I just wanted to go see this Auction classifieds area to see if it was true, turns out it was, no big deal, but I thought I'd see if they changed their stance. Evidently they are basically admitting they are wrong, but banning me because I called them on it. Sounds like a load of sour grapes to me... or is that moldy figs?

I wonder if that means I can't go to the Boxstoberfest in Texas since PPBB people are hosting that event? What about TBHL next year in Las Vegas? Will I be banned from that too? If so, how will I check to see if the winning drawing was legit? (that's a JOKE people). It's simply too bad for other Boxster owners on PPBB that they will miss out on my own website and some of the cool things coming up there because I've worn out my welcome.

I wonder how many nights they'll be looking for "Covert Bananas" ????

For those who don't know, my website is at:
http://www.smiley.net/boxster/

Old 09-01-2002, 04:35 AM   #2

Question Bananas? Banned?

You are the guy (Bananas) with the Speed Yellow Boxster, right? And they banned you from PPBB.........why did they do that? Perhaps I did not understand your post completely, but could you explain why in more detail?

You wrote:

"I just wanted to go see this Auction classifieds area to see if it was true, turns out it was, no big deal, but I thought I'd see if they changed their stance. Evidently they are basically admitting they are wrong, but banning me because I called them on it. Sounds like a load of sour grapes to me...."

Are you talking about the software they use to run the classifieds section at http://www.986board.com/board/boxbin_boxsters.htm and how much better that is than what they use on the board?

Anyway, if you could explain a bit more, I would be interested to hear your comments.

In any case, welcome to the board here.

Last edited by mjbliemel; 09-01-2002 at 04:51 AM.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 08:12 AM   #3
Ken
Bananaman

You can get the details...

At my website http://www.smiley.net/boxster/boycott.htm

Basically, the admin there went off, got called on it and way over reacted, so yeah guess I'm banned, oh well, their loss, not mine.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:53 AM   #4

Red face Yeah, what is the big deal about a link to eBay anyway.

Having a link to something Boxster related on eBay certainly does not offend me and in fact I would find it useful if I were looking for that particular item. If anything, I would think it should be looked on as a service to forum members.

Big lotsa noise about nothing. Sometimes I think the admins over the have a stick up their rear ends, must be that moldy fig thing.

The forum software there is so antiquated and outdated, yet they use better forum software in the Classifieds section. Kinda weird and I don't understand the reluctance to improve the technology.

Oh well, sometimes you just run into a brick wall I guess. What can you do?
Old 09-01-2002, 05:31 PM   #5
JT
Administrator and Founder

Sorry to hear the banning patrol got to you. I have been out of town for a while and am just catching up.

Its no big deal as far as I am concerend. I dont need the headaches or the bias postings. I have been banned and have been on there a few time since the banning took place just for the heck of it. Nothing personal. But, I really don't think they know what they are doing over there. They once blocked an IP range from my computer in an attempt to ban me which resulted in banning 80,000 people at the same time. Not very smart.

None the less, you are welcome here and your friends as well. I have decided to make this a non profit site for the time being. Thus no advertisers. The site is paid for by my other site which brings in the revenues to cover the cost of the servers and bandwidth. So, as long as I can this baby will be up for the PPBB homeless

JT
Old 09-02-2002, 05:59 AM   #6
Regional Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Ken!

All I can say is that I saw what you went through a couple weeks ago and it was terrible. I mean, you came out of nowhere and became one of the most active posting members of PPBB--with fun pictures, really detailed info on hacks, and a great website to back it up! Then they didn't cut you any slack when you did something which didn't conform (even though they've never asked the members, of which 80% wouldn't mind eBay link posts).

I'm still an active PPBBer, not because I like the management but because it has so much traffic. I just have to bite my lip when I see they are eating one of their own again. And I tread lightly when I'm there.

Enjoy this board. Not much traffic yet, but it is super because it hosts our local Boston area club, allows convenient uploading of pictures, and multi-threaded discussions.

-Charlie
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 06:47 AM   #7
Ken
Bananaman

Thanks...

Yeah, I just got a couple more viscious emails as well from the deputies there. Seems they are all riled up for some reason.

I was thinking of starting a local KC Boxsters Club, maybe this would be a good place to host the message forum as well.

That reminds me, I need to set up an interim page on my site with a link to this forum, right now I just have rennlist linked to, I should also add a couple of others...
Old 09-14-2002, 10:30 PM   #8
Forum Contributor

As someone new to the Boxster world--and the world of Boxster forums--this discussion begs the question: Why are there two main forums (this one and PorschePete's)?

Maybe the moderators would like to comment on what distinguishes this one from PP's forum (other than the authoritarian stance of the latter).

I really like the people on this forum, but the traffic is pretty light still.
MilwSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 06:20 AM   #9
Ken
Bananaman

Actually MANY more than 2!

There is this forum,
PPPB,
Rennlist.com
roadfly.com
babblers.org
southern california's boxster board

And a few others out there... each has its own flavor.

PPBB has the most traffic,
I'd say Babblers has the most intelligent (about the car) conversation threads
Rennlist has the best integration with other Porsche owners as it is part of a larger site.

Each has its merits and if you don't visit them all you're missing some of the "flavor"...
Old 09-16-2002, 02:15 PM   #10
Forum Member

Talking I see Boxster Boards

There are so many Box Boards,,,,,The Japanese ones are the funniest. SCBG isnt even in the same league with most of them. We are just a windy one lane dirt road on the info hi-way where a few SoCal people can talk about local boxster stuff and have to wade thru the endless posts on PPBB. I think, that every Boxster board needs to find their own niche and not try to be like others. I feel this is the only way in which a Boxster board can be successfull. Case in point. The first copy of PPBB was the Boxster racing board. In fact it is still using the same original software as PPBB started with. But, it didnt do well and had very liitle postings. Why? because it tried to duplicate what PPBB was all about. People said, why do I need to post on 2 boards? (P.S. this is when PPBB only got 800 hits a day) Well, it floundered until Gary is send a suggestion. "WHy not change the board's charter and turn it into a board strictly about racing the Boxster". Well, its a narrower focus but that was exactly what the Boxster community needed and its been a favorite of mine ever since....Boxster racing Board found its niche and it is still flourishing....Hopefully the SCBG board will be like that one day.
Robert(Agoura Hills) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 06:06 PM   #11

Smile MilwSteve

Well, for one thing, which you hit right on the head, the traffic here is VERY light. I wish it was more active, hoepfully it will come to be so. There have been a few recent new members that I have seen over at PPBB, so that is nice to see.

I think besides the distinction of having many less members and many less posts, you will find that Jorge is quite easy going with how he runs this place and I doubt he would react to certain things the way the folks reacted over at PPBB.

That fits my own attitude towards forums, I do not like authoritarian measures, I like to have the freedom to say what I want without someone watching over me or imposing a ban without good reason.

All I can say is, tell people about this forum and that they are welcome to come and check it out.

Jorge is doing a super job here with the site, we all owe a thanks to him for his hard work.

Keep posting!

EDIT: I have been to Roadfly and SCBG in the past, they do not seem to get that much traffic either. Good to have more choices though. One thing that I really like about this forum is the software, very much like the software I am used to at a Mac forum.

Last edited by mjbliemel; 09-16-2002 at 06:10 PM.