Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #1

Zaino Z-PC swirl remover

I ordered some of this along with a few clay bars the other day and was just wanted to know if any of you guys or gals have good/bad/indifferent experiences with it. I have used the Z2 on a regular basis which I'm very happy with. I have some slight swirling in the clear coat that I would like to get rid of however. I tried the Z5 for minor swirling and it didn't seem to help any. I might try it one more time before stepping up to the Z-PC, but I'm a little hesitant to use this because of the abrasive nature of the product. The customer testamonials on the website look promising, but I'd like some feedback from my 986 family here. Thanks in advance for the feedback. Here is the link to the product in question.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-PC&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=4

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #2

THe Zaino users I know go for Menzerna Intensive Polish I and II or Optimum Hyper Compound when using the orbital. Maybe they've started using this product but I haven't heard of this yet .
I use the Poorboys SSR 1-2.5 and its really for maintenance, you really have to put in some sweat to get the results of the Menzerna which is less maintenance and more corrective. The pad you are using also speeds things along. You may want a to go for a cutting pad rather than a polishing pad. Anthony Orosco at Optimum will talk your ear off on this subject he knows all Porsche stage paints.
But if you have light swirling I'm sure the Zaino will do the job. Hope it works, that's a time consuming job I don't like to do more than oce. May be a good idea to buy some cheap lamps at Lowe's and work in the dark.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-29-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
bmussatti

Adam, I have used a lot of Zaino's products, but not the Z-PC. Let us know how it works. Will you apply by hand?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #4

I sure will. Yes, I will apply this by hand. I'll try a small test spot first to see how it works and take it from there.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:21 PM   #5

Man Adam, taking swirls out by hand will be a bear. Even taking them out with a random orbital is a slow process. You might want to suck it up and spring for a Porter Cable or Cyclo to help you along.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
bmussatti

Hey Adam, any feedback yet?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 AM   #7

I tried the Z-PC swirl remover last weekend and it didn't work out so well. I applied it by hand with a cotton applicator to the rear decklid only. It is slighty abrasive in nature which I could feel as I applied the product. It left some rolled up whitish rolled up "bugars" which I assume was a combo of clear coat and old wax being removed. I used back and forth motions not circular motions as stated in the instructions. Well, needless to say my decklid is now more swirly that it was before! I think this product will work, but it needs to be applied with a random orbital machine, not by hand. You guys were right. Now I'm off to the 986forum archives to find a orbital machine as I know there have been some good threads on this topic. I'lk keep you guys posted.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #8

Wink Clean first...

...with a good wax remover/cleaner before you attempt any finer work. I would also recommend a good going over with a clay bar before final polishing. Lately I have been using 3-M Imperial Hand Glaze applied with a foam pad that really shines it out. I find the foam pad works better than a balled up cloth. There is also a product by 3-M called Foam Pad Polish that is gray in color and I also apply with a foam pad hand held but I am sure it would work just as well with a machine orbital polisher.

I have a Griot's garage orbital polisher and their kit for polishing which I find is very nice so you may consider that along with the others mentioned. I have not waxed the car as I am still in the polishing stage yet water will bead up as the surface becomes more smooth.

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote