Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 06:21 AM   #1
Forum Contributor

car covers and clear bra...recs?

Searching for a car cover that provides good UV protection, some rain protection, as I'm moving to a dry/hot area of Texas and may not immediately have a garage, depending on how quickly I can find the right property. I've found several covers online ranging from $170 - $300...don't mind paying the extra $$ as long as I'm getting the best product. Any recommendations?

Also, anyone have the clear bra and found it worth the effort? Sounds like a good investment, but I'm not sure I want the lines showing (although they are very discreet).

chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:30 PM   #2

The Porsche parts catalog outfit Performance Products (www.************************************************************************************************) has a number of them from about $100 to $200 depending on material, protection, etc. Can't particularly recommend one, as the ones I have are cheapo indoor covers just to keep the dust off. The one good fitted one I had on my previous 911 was a heavy denim-like material. Very nice, but it was from Hollywood Sports Cars and I don't think they are even in business anymore.
After I bought my Box I was at one of the local dealers and one of the service techs was applying a clear bra to a Boxster. A conversation ensued and the tech said he personally preferred the lined vinyl removable bra from Porsche. His knock on the clear bra was that they discolor after a while and have to be replaced. How long a "while" is I don't know.
The vinyl bra is a different animal and kind of a pain to put on and take off. The instructions that come with it caution against allowing water to dry under the bra, and a couple of other caveats as well.
If you want a put-it-on-and-forget-it product, the clear bra is probably the way to go.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
Forum Contributor

Thanks Ronzi. That was the sort of thing I was wondering about the clear bra. The dealership was really pushing it and had a sale on it until the end of this month...well that is tomorrow , but I had some reservations about it.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:44 AM   #4

I've thought about getting the top one more than once.

http://www.sportscarsolutions.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=S&Category_Code=CC

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
Forum Contributor

Hey aesir--I considered that one, too, but went with the complete cover (protecting the paint while finding a house with garage) for now.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:19 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
3M Clearbra

I have 3M's version of the clearbra added to my boxster.

My car is Gaurds Red and the film is nearly invisible from most angles.

I have it on the trunk, the fenders above the lights, on the lights themselves and on the mirrors. I do not have it on the bumper due to the difference in rates of expansion and contraction (tends to spider over time)

I've had experience with this product before and it is well worth it. It may get swirls in it easier than the paint where little can be done about it. This may be annoying on a dark car.

I sold my G35 (desert platinum) with it on, and the new owner decided to take it off.

There wasn't a paint color difference where the film was. The film was quite abused over time (I-20 highway center median construction). It really protected the car.

The visible lines are where the film ends halfway up the trunk and across the top of the fenders. Its barely noticable viewing parallel to the edges and the trailing edges (viewed from inside the car), 3 quarter front view to straight on, its really hard to see.

I have been nailed by a lot of rocks within the first 4,000 miles, where the film took it all. There are marks in the film but it is intact (no holes).

The thing I like about it, you don't have to worry about the rain. Its not wise to leave a vinyl bra on a car when its wet.

I do run a vinyl bra for the bumper when commuting back and forth from Birmingham to Atlanta due to all of the road construction here.

Just my 2 cents

David

bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote