Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rosemead, CA
Posts: 216
Went to an Apple store this afternoon and played around with one of the test units and I must say that I am totally impressed! The interface is fantastic! I did have a little bit of a problem with the qwerty keyboard but no big deal really. I must say that I have been waiting for a gadget like this for years but still I feel like I should wait for the next generation to come out because I know that it will be even better than the first one. I have never really been an Apple person (I don't even have an Ipod) but truth be told, the iphone is making a believer out of this person!
__________________
2001 Lapis Blue Boxster
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...asa/ebcomp.jpg
jmabasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on the day of the week....
Posts: 1,400
To comment on the "typical Mac user" of today, I find the previous statement rather insulting, and quite a bit off base. I agree with you, that if you want to do some serious computing, run some flavor of Unix. Well, OS X is some flavor of Unix.

I've gone back and forth over the years running Macs and PCs (let me mention that I am a creative professional and thus expect a lot out of a machine, i.e. the ability to work on large (up to 1GB at times) image files in a timely fashion) and at this point, you couldn't give me a PC. The current Mac Pros and MacBook Pros are just amazing machines. Just crack the case on a Mac Pro (or a G5, or go back to a G4 for that matter) and compare that to the priciest PC you can find and tell me who put their money into packaging/engineering. Add to this the fact that I just rebooted my MacBook Pro the other day for the first time in about a month, never worry about viruses or spyware, never have to defragment a drive, etc. Of the time my Macs are running, they are doing work 100% of the time and thus have zero time alloted to maintaining a machine. Find me a Windoze install (I don't care what version, and I'm including Vista in that statement) that can do that and I might be interested.

The Mac users that I know are highly educated professionals, who simply got sick of playing fix-it with PCs and want something that works. Heck, I even got my father to convert to a Mac.

With regard to the iPhone, what sets it apart from the rest of the smart phones is the interface. Period. Add the fact that is also contains an iPod, and you truly have a unique and functional product.

If you think those that are buying them are "uncool, scum of the earth who want to be cool" and bought an iPhone (or any other Apple product, for that matter) to be "cool," thats your opinion, but I don't consider myself, nor any of the other Mac users that I know, both personal and professional to fall into your classification.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Here is a funny cartoon:
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
cartagena
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
One of my favorite articles about Mac users is on the link below. Please note that there is some vulgar language in the link so if you are easily offended (as most Mac users are) or too young to be reading such things, then please do not click on the link. Click here to read the article!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 939
Apple/Mac has it's advantages - mostly with a simple interface. Sometimes that's a great thing to have. But Apple/Mac do have their elitist fanboys. They're nice machines, but the word 'proprietary' really turns a lot of people off.

(My first computer was an Apple - ye olde IIe)

You want some power, and the ability to tweak it, and get lots of free stuff for it?

LINUX

I would run Linux on my box at home, save for the fact that there are a couple things (mostly games) that won't run on it. (yes, I know about WINE, and I also run VMWare Server, so I could set up a VM running XP to do my bidding, but games just wouldn't work well).

I recently bought a new laptop, and went with a Dell. It has XP Home on it... I haven't thrown Linux on it, because I haven't found a way to get my AT&T Wireless modem to work. (there may be some modem strings that can be used with it, but I haven't found any yet)


ANYWAY... this discussion should be about the iPhone itself, not bashing Apple or the Mac, regardless of your past experience.

I have to say this about Apple and the iPhone - they did VERY well on a v1.0 product. I can't wait to see how they tweak it to make some things a little more full featured, and it will be interesting to see what iPhone 2.0 does!
__________________
2001 Boxster - Grey on Grey
1969 911T Targa - 'Stinky'

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rosemead, CA
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Apple/Mac has it's advantages - mostly with a simple interface. Sometimes that's a great thing to have. But Apple/Mac do have their elitist fanboys. They're nice machines, but the word 'proprietary' really turns a lot of people off.

(My first computer was an Apple - ye olde IIe)

You want some power, and the ability to tweak it, and get lots of free stuff for it?

LINUX

I would run Linux on my box at home, save for the fact that there are a couple things (mostly games) that won't run on it. (yes, I know about WINE, and I also run VMWare Server, so I could set up a VM running XP to do my bidding, but games just wouldn't work well).

I recently bought a new laptop, and went with a Dell. It has XP Home on it... I haven't thrown Linux on it, because I haven't found a way to get my AT&T Wireless modem to work. (there may be some modem strings that can be used with it, but I haven't found any yet)


ANYWAY... this discussion should be about the iPhone itself, not bashing Apple or the Mac, regardless of your past experience.

I have to say this about Apple and the iPhone - they did VERY well on a v1.0 product. I can't wait to see how they tweak it to make some things a little more full featured, and it will be interesting to see what iPhone 2.0 does!
+1
__________________
2001 Lapis Blue Boxster
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...asa/ebcomp.jpg
jmabasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page