Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #1

Toning Down A Tan Interior

Hi

There seems to be a wealth of good experience around here, but I can't find an answer to my little problem. Can anybody help?

I've just bought a Boxster in dark green with the tan interior. The tan colour is a tad bright (= yellow?) for my tastes, and I'm also getting a reflection in the windscreen. Is there any way to reduce the shine, and possibly tone down or darken the tan colour ? I'm only really bothered about the top part of the dashboard, and the door trims. I can live with the seats.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Fabric/Carpet/Plastic dashboard covers can cut down on glare and protect the dashboard from drying out in the sun. I personally think their ugly but plenty of people use them. You could instead switch out the colored parts that you don't like with black ones from a wrecked car. Another alternative would be to dye them.

I have the savanna interior and really love it, but to each his own. I'm surprised that you have problems with glare as I've never noticed any glare issues myself. Does your car have the OEM windshield? There are anti-glare finishes on some windshields that you may not get with lower-priced replacements.

Last edited by blue2000s; 06-24-2007 at 06:37 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #3

I felt the same way, but was advised not to dye the dash. I don't like the dash covers I've seen, so I settled for polarized sunglasses to cut the glare. The Savanna beige has grown on me in the mean time.

I always liked it best, but agree it is too bright. The 05/later sand beige is a big improvement, IMHO.

Edit - My windshield is original.
PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 06-24-2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: add info
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
ive seen quite a few cars dashboards dyed, and they looked fine. the onlyp roblem is that is where all the sun is hitting, sosome discoloration may occur.
post a few threads all over the net asking if some people woudl wanna do a swap, form black to your color, you never know, although its a pain to get that stuff apart.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
ive seen quite a few cars dashboards dyed, and they looked fine. the onlyp roblem is that is where all the sun is hitting, sosome discoloration may occur.
post a few threads all over the net asking if some people woudl wanna do a swap, form black to your color, you never know, although its a pain to get that stuff apart.

It's funny you mention a swap, DJ. I would LOVE to have a savannah beige interior. Too bad anton and I can't just swap interiors.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well see?
so thats the thing man, thers bound to be someone close by that would want to swap.
and even the 2 of you, if you take your time can do it.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #7

Thanks, guys. I was thinking about dyeing, but the top of the dashboard gets the full sun. Even here in the UK that can be quite warm at times and it may produce weird effects after a time!
The swopping of the top part of the dash may be an option. I'll need to investigate what's involved.
I was hoping there was some sort of cleaner that slowly darkened the material with use. Like some hair shampoos slowly add colour to your hair as you use them (so I'm told!!). I do like the tan interior generally. The black or dark blue makes the interior a bit gloomy with the top up.
Good to see a flourishing DIY forum for the Boxster.
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton
Thanks, guys. I was thinking about dyeing, but the top of the dashboard gets the full sun. Even here in the UK that can be quite warm at times and it may produce weird effects after a time!
The swopping of the top part of the dash may be an option. I'll need to investigate what's involved.
I was hoping there was some sort of cleaner that slowly darkened the material with use. Like some hair shampoos slowly add colour to your hair as you use them (so I'm told!!). I do like the tan interior generally. The black or dark blue makes the interior a bit gloomy with the top up.
Good to see a flourishing DIY forum for the Boxster.
The colored part of the dashboard is all one unit, it's not split between top and bottom, so you'd be swapping out the entire dash.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #9

You want a light interior in a two-seater--it makes the interior seem more spacious. It's the same as a small room in a house--light walls and drapes to make it look bigger.

My Boxster is black with the savannah beige interior. Savannah beige is really a gold color--not a tan. The gold is light and brightens up and expands the interior. It might be the best Boxster interior color. Looks good with green or dark blue exteriors as well.

I just don't get the feeling I'm in a small car in the Boxster. In my old Z3, I felt I was in a small car. It was silver with a red interior.
986sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986sport
You want a light interior in a two-seater--it makes the interior seem more spacious. It's the same as a small room in a house--light walls and drapes to make it look bigger.

My Boxster is black with the savannah beige interior. Savannah beige is really a gold color--not a tan. The gold is light and brightens up and expands the interior. It might be the best Boxster interior color. Looks good with green or dark blue exteriors as well.

I just don't get the feeling I'm in a small car in the Boxster. In my old Z3, I felt I was in a small car. It was silver with a red interior.
That could also be because the Z3 IS a smaller car
Old 06-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Check out this link:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/pc.html?frame=8.92.3196

I am going to buy one, for $17, it's an easy fix.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:31 PM   #12

...using the black dash cover should help a lot but if the tan still bothers you enough, i'd recommend swapping to black seats. i've tried it on my Miata and it makes the two tone interior more dramatic, while lowering the tan-ometer reading.
Maxodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #13
FIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Check out this link:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/pc.html?frame=8.92.3196

I am going to buy one, for $17, it's an easy fix.
Not gunna fit too good on mine........wrong side
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:24 AM   #14

I shoulda said in earlier post that I added black floor mats. They are not a glare factor, but they do change the bright-sea-of-beige look.

Salesman said a lot of Savanna owners put dark mats in.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #15
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
I shoulda said in earlier post that I added black floor mats. They are not a glare factor, but they do change the bright-sea-of-beige look.

The light color floor mats stain pretty easily. It's easier to keep darker colored mats looking good.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:53 AM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I agree with the above, tan interior looks really good with the dark green exterior. The only thing I wish I had in my car was a tan interior. Otherwise it's perfect.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 PM   #17
FIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter

I have black mats.....

When I take them out for cleaning it changes the whole look of the interior.

The mats really break it up!
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #18

Glare

My 03 Boxster has a navy blue interior and dash. The dash reflects on the windshield, and it drives me nuts. I've resorted to Polarized sunglasses to eliminate the glare, even though I normally never wear sunglasses. You would think that this would bother more people, but I haven't been able to find too many others who are as bothered with it as I am.
51desoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #19
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
This is sort of an old post.
But I now what you mean my artic silver center console is almost a hazard when it reflects onto the windshield.