Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #1

no warranty coverage on headlight switch

My 2001 Boxster is covered till July 1, 2007 by PCNA’s certified pre-owned warranty. The dealer (Momentum in Houston, TX) tells me that my defective headlight switch is not covered, but they covered my defective ignition switch replacement last year. What’s up with that?

Under “electrical system,” the warranty covers “all control units for the following factory installed systems (if equipped): anti-lock braking system, suplemental restraint, wiper/washer, intensive headlight washer, HEADLIGHTS, door lock, power windows”, etc.

Seems to me that the headlight switch IS the control unit for the headlights. Am I wrong? I don’t get it.
--Dave Wildrick

David Wildrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #2

Is it just bulb, or the entire light doesn't work? Bulbs burning out are regular ware/tare items like wiper blades and will not be covered. But if it is the entire headlight that is not functioning properly, then they should cover it. Is it the warranty company or the Dealership that is giving you problems?
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #3

If its not just the bulb but an expensive switch try taking it to another porsche dealer close by and don't even mention that you took it to another dealer just tell them its under warranty.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #4

Thanks, guys.
I went to pick up my car today from the dealer. They did the 30,000 mile service along with a warranty-covered rear main seal job.

I showed them the place in the Porsche certified pre-owned car warranty where it spells out that control systems for headlights and other electrical items are covered.

They decided to cover the switch replacement after all, although yesterday I went round and round with the service writer, with him continuing to claim the headlight switch was not covered when he looked it up in "the book", whatever that is.
--Dave
David Wildrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:35 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
If a service writer tried to pull that on me I'd have him show me exactly where it says the item is not covered. Especially if I have paperwork saying it is covered.

Glad they fixed it for you under the warranty.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote