Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #1

brand new OEM clutch for 300$!

I knew it, I've been telling the dealer for a while my clutch has a problem (bought the car when it had 6000 miles a 2004 986S) and there is also a squeek coming back from the engine when I press the clutch pedal.

I told them to remove the transmission and check everything and now they are getting me a brand new clutch for only the cost of the clutch disk. No labor charges or anything.

The car was very harsh between gear changes and sometimes it would shake when I downshifted. Not really the dream car experience you would expect.

I used to think it was the way I drove it but then I drove other cars and I've been driving this sweet loaner CaymanS since friday only to see that it is definitely not me. Wow, what a car the CaymanS is btw.

Just wanted to share the excitement, I cant wait for my car to feel like the loaner CaymanS.

aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #2

So how much were you charged to remove and replace the transmission. That is the big cost.

Was the pressure plate, disc, and release bearing replaced.

Once the transmission is out replacing your old clutch with a new one is 10 minutes in labor.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #3

I am getting my clutch replaced minus flywheel by dealer for $1800!!!!
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
So how much were you charged to remove and replace the transmission. That is the big cost.

Was the pressure plate, disc, and release bearing replaced.

Once the transmission is out replacing your old clutch with a new one is 10 minutes in labor.
No charge what so ever to remove and replace the transmission. I've been telling them to do so and they kept telling me the car is fine.

The pressure plate and release bearing are being replaced for free.

I will pay only for the disc which also gets replaced.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #5

Except for this disc, was this done under a warranty?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #6

hey toolpants...

is the $1800 for clutch kit with labor high? at the local porsche dealer. I was expecting $1000-1500.
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #7

I am going to have to find out what the going rate is because I am due for a clutch replacement. One of the local owners just had his replaced by the dealer but there was no labor charge for the clutch install as they were doing a goodwill RMS replacement anyway.

I doubt very much I will have it done at the local dealer as much as I like them because I know it will be expensive. But I will ask what they charge just for grins. Then talk to some independent Porsche shops I know.

The parts are not expensive if you do not buy them from a dealer. For $250 I can a Sachs clutch, disc, and release bearing.