Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #1

Temperature Indicator Flashes

Can anyone tell me what I think I already suspect. The Temperature LED flashes for a while, and I have to add coolant to the car quite frequently. It is obviously losing coolant, but from where. Any idea how much to fix and if an extended warranty covers coolant problems.

2001 Silver Boxster S with 54300 miles

stephendoherty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #2

Most common cause for a 986 would be a cracked coolant reservoir. Check your rear trunk for any water pooling. Simple R&R. BTW, make sure you use OEM porsche coolant only.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #3

Could be coolant tank, coolant line or a bad radiator. The tank is prone to failure. Check the trunk carpet for moisture or, if more adventurous, remove trunk carpet and check again.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #4

Garage
A leaky reservoir tank is just a cause of a possibly bigger problem....the tank cracks due to extensive overheating (hence the flashing light). The possible culprit is a failing radiator fan. When one of these fans start failing they shut down and water is not cooled properly...temp rises and put stress on the expansion tank.

There are several ways to check if your cooling fans are working...try starting your car in your driveway and with your engine and A/C on stand in front of your car, BOTH fans should be operating. After a few minutes they should kick in high, you will feel a gush of air from under the car...if this cycle does not repeat a few times in about 10 to 15 mins...they should be replaced. If unattended the next one to go is your water pump and afterwards the radiators themselves...the fan on the drivers side is usually the first one to go...Good luck.

"I am who I am, your approval isn't required" - Jack Nicholson
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote