Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #1

RMS or IMS Class Action Suit?

Does anyone know if there has ever been a class action suit against Porsche for either a IMS or RMS issue? Seems there is a reasonable amount of folks to warrant one and potentially get some recourse for thier expenses.

SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #2

IMO, Its due time that EVERYONE from this site(and other P sites) should unite and get our concerns to Porsche NA. This IMS/RMS issue is well documented, Porsche should at LEAST have an engine replacement cost "discount" program in place for owners who had an engine failure due to an IMS Failure.

Last edited by spine911; 06-16-2007 at 08:04 PM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #3

I gather that the frequency of RMS leaks seems to be pretty high. Could it be as high as 20% of all boxsters?

Does anybody have any data (rough of course) on frequency of IMS failure? I'm assuming that it is very low.
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #4

I just replaced my RMS while I was doing a clutch, and it was just starting to seep a bit of oil. The IMS failures seem to be fairly rare.

At the end of the day, unfortunately, class action suits only benefit the attorneys who file them (i.e. the $10 million settlement across 1 million claimants, everyone gets $10 and the attorneys get $5 million).

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #5

I've always had the impression that RMS problems were largely (totally?) confined to the earlier model Boxsters (say pre-2000). Is that true? I have an '01 S; am I likely in the clear? The IMS problem is a new one to me (not that I am currently having that problem in my car---I just hadn't heard about it before viewing recent New Posts.) Does that tend to affect certain years?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #6

Frodo,

As I understand it, the RMS can strike all boxsters, not just pre 2000. Correct my if I am wrong, but RMS usually shows its ugly head before 25K miles - if you pass thta mark you are probably in the clear.

As or IMS failure, I gather it can strike any year at any time. Scary!
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I'm in!

Oops... I forgot...I've had neither an RMS or IMS issue as of yet on my 01.

I do agree that it seems that there have been numerous such issues I've read about on these forums though. I think Porsche should at least have a policy of making good on either issue if they come up.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #8

I've seen similar sounding threads on Rennlist and Pelican. I don't think anything came from it though.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #9

What exactly are RMS and IMS respectively? Sorry for my ignorance. But can anyone explain the symptoms of each one of these problems?

My MY00 Boxster S recently had a rough idling problem fixed by the dealer which I was told was due to faulty cam shaft solenoids. I was wondering if that has anything to do with the above mentioned problems. Car had 67kkm when it happened.
panameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:19 AM   #10

These failures are both quite rare.. People that have no issues arent' part of the teeny tiny porsche market that come to message boards to scream about it. My guess would be less than 1% of their cars actually have one or the other of these issues combined.
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:50 AM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ I agree, there are plenty of Boxster owners that have never even thought of joining a forum. I would say it is 5-10% or less of the Boxster population has an IMS/RMS failure, and to be honest, if you watch for the signs, like oil dripping, etc. you can catch it before it affects you.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by panameras
What exactly are RMS and IMS respectively? Sorry for my ignorance. But can anyone explain the symptoms of each one of these problems?
RMS (Rear Main Seal) wear exhibits itself as an oil drip. Attributed to the design of the crankshaft and its supporting structure as well as poorly designed seals. Porsche has provided at least 3 generations of parts and fix procedures. Said to be more common in stick shift models than in Tiptronic-equipped cars. About $1000 to repair. Repair consists of measuring the crankshaft hole and, if it is within specs, just replacing the seal with a new seal. If it is outside specs (crankshaft wobbles in the hole), then the suggested repair is engine replacement. You shouldn't pay for this yourself, it is a design flaw. Insist nicely but firmly your dealer contact Porsche.

Some cars have experienced multiple RMS problems. Porsche has replaced some of the engines in such cars and in cars where their measurement tool says replacement is the only option. Even out of warranty, they will sometimes buy the engine if you pay the labor.

( from Mike Focke )

The intermediate shaft is supported by a bearing on the rear of the engine. This shaft drive things, like the cams via chains. The bearing was a double bearing then Porsche switch to a single bearing. When the bearing fails it damages the engine. I think this change was made in 2001.

Don't know of any way to prevent it since it is a design issue.

You hear a noise like marbles in a can then the engine stops. A nut on the end of the shaft shears off which leave a hole in the back of the engine for oil to pour out. It is too late for you to do anything.

That is the way I understand it.

( from Tool Pants )

prok / rick - I disagree. While I do think the IMS is indeed rare, I would say the RMS is quite common…

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #13

The RMS (Rear Main Seal) issue has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Use the search function and type in "Rear Main Seal" (using "RMS" returns nothing) and you will get an extensive list of posts that will answer most of the current questions about the problem.
The IMS (InterMediate Shaft) issue has also been pretty thoroughly discussed, but much less so than the RMS.
Polls of Boxster owners on this and other forums seems to peg RMS failure frequency at 20%+. I have seen estimates other places that run as high as 50%.
One has to interpret the failure frequency figures as referring to "premature failure", since the seal itself has been described as a wear item that will eventually wear out and fail in 100% of the cars.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
RMS (Rear Main Seal) wear exhibits itself as an oil drip. Attributed to the design of the crankshaft and its supporting structure as well as poorly designed seals. Porsche has provided at least 3 generations of parts and fix procedures. Said to be more common in stick shift models than in Tiptronic-equipped cars. About $1000 to repair. Repair consists of measuring the crankshaft hole and, if it is within specs, just replacing the seal with a new seal. If it is outside specs (crankshaft wobbles in the hole), then the suggested repair is engine replacement. You shouldn't pay for this yourself, it is a design flaw. Insist nicely but firmly your dealer contact Porsche.

Some cars have experienced multiple RMS problems. Porsche has replaced some of the engines in such cars and in cars where their measurement tool says replacement is the only option. Even out of warranty, they will sometimes buy the engine if you pay the labor.

( from Mike Focke )

The intermediate shaft is supported by a bearing on the rear of the engine. This shaft drive things, like the cams via chains. The bearing was a double bearing then Porsche switch to a single bearing. When the bearing fails it damages the engine. I think this change was made in 2001.

Don't know of any way to prevent it since it is a design issue.

You hear a noise like marbles in a can then the engine stops. A nut on the end of the shaft shears off which leave a hole in the back of the engine for oil to pour out. It is too late for you to do anything.

That is the way I understand it.

( from Tool Pants )

prok / rick - I disagree. While I do think the IMS is indeed rare, I would say the RMS is quite common…

Nick
Yup, gots me a new RMS at 18,000 miles in my 02 S.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the IMS; however, I understand that it usually happens on vehicles with less than 20,000 or so miles (I just passed 24,000 so hopefully I'm in the clear)?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #15

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/engines/water_cooled/shaft_tech

Guys check this out these guys have got it sorted they are in the UK.
ikdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Keeping my fingers crossed for the IMS; however, I understand that it usually happens on vehicles with less than 20,000 or so miles (I just passed 24,000 so hopefully I'm in the clear)?
Mine went at 34k (under warranty, previous owner), so hard to say. 30-35k plays it safe..
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #17

If Porsche made good on the IMS/RMS issues of all engines affected, they would not be the most profitable company in the world.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #18

If anyone wants to get anything started, I work for at one of the most powerful corporate litigation firms in the nation. I have close relationships with many partners at the firms and can mention something to them if necessary.
JoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #19

Does RMS or IMS effect new boxsters say 06s to 08s? If not what years do the problems stop?
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If anyone does anything about it I can give them two documentations of two separate Boxster a 99' 2.5L that had a RMS leak at 25k and a 01' S 3.2L that had a RMS leak at 52k.

That makes me 2/2 out of the Boxsters I've owned.......