Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 04:13 AM   #1

Anyone with a GT3R bumper?

I tried a search but didn't come up with much.. is anyone running one of these Mashaw GT3R bumpers on their Boxster?

Would it be a straight bolt on like regular GT3 bumpers or would changes to the ducts/cooling system be required? I like the idea of having something functional with oem styling

[986] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:24 AM   #2

Anyone???
Old 06-17-2007, 06:21 AM   #3

Saw one a while back, car had rear fender flares as well... looked pretty ricey...
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #4

my 1st boxster had one, by 1st i mean i took it back after 3 days because it was sold to me with a rms leaking. (see louisiana does have some good laws!!) I liked the look when i had it but when it came time to modify my current boxster i chose a different option.

Its a very aggressive bumper and not all boxsters can pull it off tastefully

To your other question, MA Shaw is very reputable, if they tell you that its bolt on then it is. its safe to think that it is, most 996 bumpers fit the 986 as long as the 996 bumper has "our" headlights.

If you like it buy it, go with what you like its your Porsche.When i was working on my car i was told everyones opinion but went with what i like and i get allot of compliments on my car.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #5

Gary in BR: Thanks for the informative reply! Where did you purchase yours from and how was the fitment? Any photos of it?

easyc: I think I've seen pictures of that car, I respect the work that's gone into it but overall I think it's too agressive.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #6

That same bumper is sold at http://www.fiberwerks.com/986_996.htm and it is a straight bolt on. Looks ugly to me. They have there own name for it.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 06-16-2008 at 05:09 PM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by [986]
I tried a search but didn't come up with much.. is anyone running one of these Mashaw GT3R bumpers on their Boxster?

Would it be a straight bolt on like regular GT3 bumpers or would changes to the ducts/cooling system be required? I like the idea of having something functional with oem styling
Yeah, there are photos floating around somewhere on the Net of a Boxster with this front bumper. I've got them at work, but not here at home... sounds like you've seen that one though. So, yeah, obviously it can be done. Plus the 911 in that picture has the same headlights as the 986, so it should bolt right up - same front end.

As for cooling... well the bumper would need to be DESIGNED to mate up with the OEM cooling ducts. With my Porsche OEM GT3 bumper the alignment with the cooling ducts to the radiators is perfect, so they are still 100% functional. But with something aftermarket like this I would not count on that. Two weeks ago I saw a Renntech forum member's 996 with a beautiful full body kit from Gemballa. The front bumper was a real work of art and the owner said that part alone was $5,000. Guess how the fit was between the bumper and cooling ducts to the radiators... it was crap - huge gaps. But one has to be looking pretty critically to really notice. Plus I'm sure the radiators will still see plenty of air and keep the car adequately cool. I would expect a bumper like this to be functional without modifications to the cooling ducts, but I would not expect it to be an improvement. Just my opinion...

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote