View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by [986]
I tried a search but didn't come up with much.. is anyone running one of these Mashaw GT3R bumpers on their Boxster?

Would it be a straight bolt on like regular GT3 bumpers or would changes to the ducts/cooling system be required? I like the idea of having something functional with oem styling
Yeah, there are photos floating around somewhere on the Net of a Boxster with this front bumper. I've got them at work, but not here at home... sounds like you've seen that one though. So, yeah, obviously it can be done. Plus the 911 in that picture has the same headlights as the 986, so it should bolt right up - same front end.

As for cooling... well the bumper would need to be DESIGNED to mate up with the OEM cooling ducts. With my Porsche OEM GT3 bumper the alignment with the cooling ducts to the radiators is perfect, so they are still 100% functional. But with something aftermarket like this I would not count on that. Two weeks ago I saw a Renntech forum member's 996 with a beautiful full body kit from Gemballa. The front bumper was a real work of art and the owner said that part alone was $5,000. Guess how the fit was between the bumper and cooling ducts to the radiators... it was crap - huge gaps. But one has to be looking pretty critically to really notice. Plus I'm sure the radiators will still see plenty of air and keep the car adequately cool. I would expect a bumper like this to be functional without modifications to the cooling ducts, but I would not expect it to be an improvement. Just my opinion...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote