Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #1

Oil Change Question-I searched, I swear!

so, our 2002 Boxster S has 8k miles on it since we bought it a year ago, so time for an oil change.

I have been searching threads and think I get how to do it and what tools I need.

i have also found threads on how to properly jack up the car.

here's what I can't find......can I just jack up the rear to change the oil, or do I have to get the entire car in the air?

I wasn't sure if the high pitch angle with jacking just the rear would prevent proper drainage...

thanks!

Jeff
Columbus, OH

2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_PILOT
so, our 2002 Boxster S has 8k miles on it since we bought it a year ago, so time for an oil change.

I have been searching threads and think I get how to do it and what tools I need.

i have also found threads on how to properly jack up the car.

here's what I can't find......can I just jack up the rear to change the oil, or do I have to get the entire car in the air?

I wasn't sure if the high pitch angle with jacking just the rear would prevent proper drainage...

thanks!

Jeff
Columbus, OH
The car sould be level when you change the oil, to be sure that it empties the entire sump.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #3

Jeff,

It's definitely best to get the whole car up, but you can still do it on ramps. I did mine that way.

Order a filter, filter cannister O ring and a new drain plug crush washer. Then find 10 quarts of Mobil 1 0W40.

Pull the drain plug and let it drain. And drain. And drain... and wait a little... no... it's STILL pouring out... (it takes a while to drain!!) Let it drip until it pretty much stops dripping. Probably a good idea to walk away for 20 minutes or so.

Reinstall the drain plug with the new crush washer.

Remove the oil filter cannister and drain it into your drain pan. I'd go ahead and wipe off the exterior, then the interior (with separate clean paper towels or something similar). With a little new oil on your fingers, wet the new O ring, slip it over the top of the cannister where the old one was. (oh yeah, take the old one off first). Stick the new filter into the cannister. Install the whole thing.

Start putting your oil in via the filler in the rear trunk. I'd recommend putting in 9 quarts, and then start the engine, let it run for a minute or so, then shut it off. Tur off the ignition, then turn it back to the run position, where it shows the oil gauge. See where the oil level is, and add oil as needed. (one bar on the gauge has been shown to equal about 1 cup of oil. That's a cup, like you use to measure flour with, not drink beer with).

Once topped off, enjoy!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
if you don't have short arms, you don't need to jack the car to do an oil change. just get a pan that fits under, get on your back, and reach. car stays flat and it's not tricky at all. good luck!
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #5

Best way I've found

Is to do the oil change on an incline so that when you drive the rear onto the ramps, the car itself is level. Added advantage is you get more room under the rear end to get your body in.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 AM   #6

thanks guys,

final question: does anybody drain the oil cooler as well?
2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
thanks guys,

I don't think it's necessary. I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Most of the oil drains into the sump. I'd say from when you get it up before draining, until you're putting the drain plug back on should be 30 minutes or more. That will be adequate time for oil to drain into the sump. It will also flow a bit better if it's warm, but be careful not to burn yourself if the engine is too warm.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #8

2002 Boxster S in "arrest me red"
2004 Corvette Z06 "the beast"

I'm liking your style :dance:
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
thanks guys,

That is something completely different that you don't want to do as routine as an oil change.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #10

If it's of note to anyone, I found out today that if you overfill a little, you can remove the filter cannister and dump it, and it will move the digital gauge down about one notch.

I had to do it three times, got the gauge to read two bars under the full line.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
it's of note to me, fray -- just in case -- thanks!

bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote