Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #1

NASCAR's car of tomorrow...is everything we don't like.

Now I know that these spoilers have their purpose at high speeds and on the race tracks, but now all the rice cars out there are going to say, I TOLD YOU SO! This looks stupid, I.M.O. Starting next race season all of the NASCAR vehicles will look this way. Did they realy need to go this route? Was the areodynamics really so limited to the original design of the car? Tell me what you think.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Preface: I hate NASCAR. What is more boring that watching cars turn left?

As to that new wing if it helps then I can see them all doing it. NASCAR is incredibly competitive and every 0.001th of a second the teams can wring from their cars they will do.

Ricers can say "I told you so" but I'll be laughing at them and their dumbass wings until they reach NASCAR speeds.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
Preface: I hate NASCAR. What is more boring that watching cars turn left?

As to that new wing if it helps then I can see them all doing it. NASCAR is incredibly competitive and every 0.001th of a second the teams can wring from their cars they will do.

Ricers can say "I told you so" but I'll be laughing at them and their dumbass wings until they reach NASCAR speeds.
Good point. There are 2 races during the regular race season that use an actual road course instead of the boring oval. Just thought you may want to know that. And what about that front end splitter? I've been seeing those thing s on street cars for years.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Good point. There are 2 races during the regular race season that use an actual road course instead of the boring oval. Just thought you may want to know that. And what about that front end splitter? I've been seeing those thing s on street cars for years.

Damn, didn't even notice the splitter. That is a weird lookin' front end. It is cool, however, that they can get it that close to the track surface. I bet it really improves the handling, keeping the car down.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #6

I'm going to my first Yee Haw race this weekend. One of the driver's and I have a friend in common he used to race against him in junior formulas.

The new car looks awful. I'll never understand why they still use NYC taxi cab wheels.
All other tin top racing series like DTM, BTCC, Grand Am, etc. use trick looking wheels...Really makes a huge difference. NASCAR gets a low tech rap and dem wheels aren't helping.

I saw the old car up close last year at a sponsorship event and its actually much smaller than it looks on TV. Lower too.

As far as the racing, I have been to many oval races and its maybe one of the most mind boggling things you will ever see up close. Completely lost on TV.
This is the most dangerous racing formula in the world when you look at the number of fatalities in the last five years.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #7

NASCAR is all about entertainment. Yes, there is real racing that goes on but they will modify the show to attract fans. Maybe they saw that their demographics were down with the rice crowd and figured the wing would allow more fans to identify with their product. I have been to several events and they are fun though once every couple of years is enough.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #8

Funny how people with porsches cry the blues when people hate on their cars and those same people hate on someone elses taste in racing.
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #9

What drew me to watching Nascar in the 1980s and early 1990s was the drivers. Waltrip, Yarborough, Petty, Earnhardt, Kulwicki, Rudd, Allisons, Martin, Early Rusty Wallace etc. The cars became more homogenized and slowly too did the drivers. the "id llike to thank sponsers 1-50 .. and all the guys in the shop.. blah blah... Boring (in a homer simpson like voice)"

The more "restricted" and the tighter the screw on the driver, the less driver character has been seen. Except for maybe Tony Stewart, I can't think of a current Nascrap driver that speaks his mind (right or wrong)

In becoming full fledged "entertainment" and a demographic "nascar dads" I don't really watch anymore, unless nothing else is on.

The "nascar yellow" gets conveniently thrown. The lack of "technology". Although, i would put forth that even for a lack of "technology" in an F1 sense, they do a mighty good job of getting what they can from what they have.

The COT and its bland look, to me, should bother sponsors (GM, Ford, Toyota) more than anyone. The cars SO no longer resemble what manufacturers produce, you may as well just call it a "spec" series.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by prOk
Funny how people with porsches cry the blues when people hate on their cars and those same people hate on someone elses taste in racing.

Directing your comment at anyone in here specifically?

Old 06-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #11

65 post and all of a sudden would leave comment like that
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
65 post and all of a sudden would leave comment like that
Unkle, member PrOk has been on the Forum for over one and a half years...he just does not post much.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:

"Funny how people with porsches cry the blues when people hate on their cars and those same people hate on someone elses taste in racing."

Originally Posted by prOk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
Directing your comment at anyone in here specifically?
With the risk of being flamed here I have to say that prOk makes a very valid point here. I don't think he is directing this at anyone in particular but I have been following this board for quite a while and have seen quite a number of RICER this and HEE HAW that type of comments. It does exhibit a certain amount of close mindedness. A lot of the same people who bash others are the first to cry foul when the sacred Porshe marque is dissed. Personally I see nothing wrong with Japanese cars, drifting, oval or dirt track, dragstrips or NASCAR. Diversity is what makes up the world. Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean you have to bash it. Let's not forget that NASCAR racing is the largest spectator sport in this country with most of the events taking place in the south.

Besides everybody knows you watch NASCAR for the crashes.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Unkle, member PrOk has been on the Forum for over one and a half years...he just does not post much.
I see
I'm okay now...took my nap already

mah bad, prOk
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #15

Well I do not hate NASCAR racing, but it's not what it used to be when I was growing up. If I recall correctly some of what I heard about the COT, that spoiler does not stay with the team, NASCAR hands the wings out when they get to the track and the teams have to turn them back in at the end of the race.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #16
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Being from the heart of left-turn only country I've been a Nascar fan a long time, and have attended many races.

I agree with racer_d about the general lack of personality in the sport. You would think this wouldn't affect the enjoyment level of the races, but for me it has. It is like watching 43 robots race for 500 miles.

I for one like the COT. I find myself tuning out the old style car races and watching more intently when the COT is used. I guess the larger greenhouse reminds me of the cars of the past.

Perfectlap, I'm curious, which driver are you talking about?

I've been to Hendrick, Gibbs, etc. in the greater Charlotte area and these mega shops are something to see. If you ever get a chance to see one of these facilities in person you shouldn't pass up the chance.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #17

Thumbs down To NASCAR In General

I started following NASCAR in 1971 as a 12 yr old. In the mid-70's our family would drive 1.5 days to watch David Pearson duke it out with The King at Michigan Intl Speedway. As NASCAR's become more popular, I've become more disinterested. Mostly because the cars are not identifiable. Somewhere in the mid-90's the cars became "funny cars" with slab sides, rooflines nowhere close to where they belong, and trunk lids way longer than from the factory. They've really lost me lately when they started scooping out the headlight area for downforce and most recently the cars have become asymmetrical - the left fender is pulled way out for downforce while the right side is shaped to cut through the wind. The NASCAR version of a Dodge Charger is a joke. The horse was way out of the barn, so NASCAR thinks the COT will get things back under control.

Before NASCAR started meddling with downforce numbers and allowing funny cars, the manufacturers would build a production car that would be the basis of a good race car - like the 83 TBird. Chevy's response was to create the Monte Carlo SS with a sloped rear window and an angled front end. Game on! Today there is no incentive or reward for the manufacturers. Build a brick and NASCAR will allow you to lower the grille by a foot and slope the front end (Charger).

To me the answer was not the COT. I would cut the spoilers on the current car in half. A reduction in spoiler would force the drivers to lift entering a corner and then we would see who the bravest or most talented drivers are. I used to love watching Talledega but now it's just 188 parade laps interspersed with several massive wrecks. Boring!!!

Don't get me started on the late race caution. NASCAR can't stand a race that ends with a 2 second victory. Half the time the cautions are very mysterious and the other half is because NASCAR let a car back on the track that's all mangled up with loose parts everywhere. Hey NASCAR - sometimes there's drama as to whether or not a car has enough fuel to finish.

And finally the drivers. I agree with racer_d about the drivers. I'm sure they're nice guys and they understand the fans are important (unlike other pro sports), but they don't want to say or do anything contraversial lest they lose their million $$$ cash cows. ddb asked for a driver in particular - Jimmy Johnson. Do you think any of today's drivers would pull into the third turn at Daytona and start a fist fight? And then have the wit to say afterwards the other guy's nose kept running into my fist? I doubt it.

OK, I feel better now. That's been building up for a long time.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:16 AM   #18

When I tell people I download around 10 GB of races per month, they always ask if it's NASCAR. It never is.

I used to follow NASCAR back when Harry Gant was winning a bunch of races. I got away from it when I started hanging out with the WRC crowd. Since then, it's been nothing but WRC, F1, Touring cars, ALMS, etc....

I tuned into a NASCAR race last season because it was being shown in HD. I watched for maybe 20 minutes before getting bored with the massive amounts of advertising and circulating pack of cars. If I wanted to watch commercials, I'd watch NASCAR, because it's a 500-mile commercial.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #19

I enjoy Nascar because of the constantly changing strategy. Watching some of the long tracks can be like watching paint dry but in the end there is almost alway an exciting finish. I use to enjoy IRL and F1 but there is so little passing that it bores me to tears regardless of how exciting the track is.

The new car simply adds more strategy to the racing hence why I like it more than the old car. The old car was getting to the point that whoever had the most money could tune it better than everyone else and win. Kind of like Ferrari and F1...

I wish we they would put more road courses in Nascar and at the same time improve the car to bridge a little bit of the technology gap.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 AM   #20

I like the entertainment. I pretty much only like Daytona, Talladega, etc where it looks more like an airplane race than a sprint around a bullring.
I hate these new cars. Somehow they look like bumpercars at the carny.

I figured out how to watch the Indy 500 on the cheap. Put karaoke mike over a jar of No-See-Ems and close yur eyes...

J i m

wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote