Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
dead battery how do I open the hood?

grr......

__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 793
Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I recall seeing in my Porsche manual a diagram on how to hook up another car battery to get the hood open. There's a spot in the fuse box to hook it into.

Anyone have their manual close by? I'm at work right now.

You don't happen to have a battery tender that plugs into the cig lighter do you?
__________________
I bleed green

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.


http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 409
The hood release is electric? I thought it was just a mechanical cable deal. That's not good. I'm watching this thread now to learn how to myself.
__________________
http://i25.tinypic.com/20aq3wn.jpg http://i26.tinypic.com/2zguetx.jpg http://i28.tinypic.com/2jdi1ok.jpg
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
I recall seeing in my Porsche manual a diagram on how to hook up another car battery to get the hood open. There's a spot in the fuse box to hook it into.

Anyone have their manual close by? I'm at work right now.

You don't happen to have a battery tender that plugs into the cig lighter do you?
no I don't an apparently neither does the entire New Jersey chapter of triple A.

the window has come down on the passener side and its about to rain.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,889
1997-2000 have mechanical levers. 2001-2004 have electric switches. The jumper in the fuse box thing is for cars with electric switches.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
on the phone with triple a National....

apparently I'm the first triple a member ever to need a jumpstart with a Boxster.

compounding matters is that the car is parked in a very dark street so I can't see anything. I'm trying to find this cable near the tow hook and using a flat head screw driver to flick open some lever I can't see near the hood latches next to the driver's seat.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-01-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 793
Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
1997-2000 have mechanical levers. 2001-2004 have electric switches. The jumper in the fuse box thing is for cars with electric switches.

Ah, I see. I didn't know that. Cool.



Did you get it jumped, Perfectlap?
__________________
I bleed green

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.


http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: soCal
Posts: 78
Send a message via AIM to 7th gear
not sure this applies to your '00 because i've got an '01. i hope it does because i'm feeling your situation.

i remember when i 1st bought talking to my salesman getting my car demo before driving out. he told me if i need to jump the battery to do this: if you open the driver side fuse panel, there's a hook point for the positive/red battery cable. the negative/black battery cable goes to that metal latch on the driver side door sill.

maybe this will help all other '01 and later. last hope if triple a doesn't help....maybe call porsche dealer or your mechanic?!?
__________________
drive it kool

pca member
7th gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
the triple a (National) guy suggested the fuse panel solution.
Except there was no red switch at all...I might be wrong but its supposed to be right next to the spoiler switch. Maybe it was removed by the previous owner but that's just a blank hole for a fuse.

1-so after experimenting with varius size flat head screwdrivers to try and jimmy the gap in between the front and rear trunk latches (near the door sill) I gave up.
Triple A was going to take another stab at it but I wasn't confident the local tower knew what he was doing.

2-next plan, tow the car saturday morning to the local Porsche dealer.
Hours of operation 9-5.
By the way window were open luckily I live in a gated complex.
Called the dealer...guy on the phone says the whole service department took the day off!! Thank god I called ahead.

3-Called Porsche roadside assistance 800-767-7243 as of course they would naturally be capable of jumpstarting Boxsters and Carreras. They said they would open the hood and jump start the boxster for $120... I said "SOLD!!"
..after waiting for an hour plus they called me back and said sorry we don't have the equipment to open the hood as we use the same people as triple A. They suggested I go to Wal Mart and buy a "pig tail" cigarette adapter (two male ends).....Too bad Wal Mart is 10 miles away.
Boy you would think PORSCHE road side assistance would have figured out how to do this after so many years. I told them to have a nice day...

4-Got out on foot and walked to Target. I noticed on their website they had something called the quick and easy jumper. You hook one car's cigarette lighter to another car's...of course they didn' have it on the shelf.
But they did have a Black and Decker Battery pack with a cigarette ligher attachment Model BB7B for $60.

It comes partially charged from the factory so I walked right from Target to the Boxster. Pluged it in and the door locks activated turned, I the ignition and the hood opened. There wasn't enough juice to jump the car but triple A are on the way.
They want me sign some waiver in case they fry my car jump starting it.
Do yourself a favor and buy one of these these battery packs. It has a receptacle that you can plug your cell phone car charger into in case you get the double whamy of dead battery and dead cell phone battery. It also has a lamp. I'm sure it will fit in the rear shelf compartment.


Boxster Jump Starter

__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-02-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Smile

This happens all the time. If you don't the owners manual, call Porsche dealer as different years have different procedures.
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
the triple a (National) guy suggested the fuse panel solution.
Except there was no red switch at all...I might be wrong but its supposed to be right next to the spoiler switch. Maybe it was removed by the previous owner but that's just a blank hole for a fuse.

1-so after experimenting with varius size flat head screwdrivers to try and jimmy the gap in between the front and rear trunk latches (near the door sill) I gave up.
Triple A was going to take another stab at it but I wasn't confident the local tower knew what he was doing.

2-next plan, tow the car saturday morning to the local Porsche dealer.
Hours of operation 9-5.
By the way window were open luckily I live in a gated complex.
Called the dealer...guy on the phone says the whole service department took the day off!! Thank god I called ahead.

3-Called Porsche roadside assistance 800-767-7243 as of course they would naturally be capable of jumpstarting Boxsters and Carreras. They said they would open the hood and jump start the boxster for $120... I said "SOLD!!"
..after waiting for an hour plus they called me back and said sorry we don't have the equipment to open the hood as we use the same people as triple A. They suggested I go to Wal Mart and buy a "pig tail" cigarette adapter (two male ends).....Too bad Wal Mart is 10 miles away.
Boy you would think PORSCHE road side assistance would have figured out how to do this after so many years. I told them to have a nice day...

4-Got out on foot and walked to Target. I noticed on their website they had something called the quick and easy jumper. You hook one car's cigarette lighter to another car's...of course they didn' have it on the shelf.
But they did have a Black and Decker Battery pack with a cigarette ligher attachment Model BB7B for $60.

It comes partially charged from the factory so I walked right from Target to the Boxster. Pluged it in and the door locks activated turned, I the ignition and the hood opened. There wasn't enough juice to jump the car but triple A are on the way.
They want me sign some waiver in case they fry my car jump starting it.
Do yourself a favor and buy one of these these battery packs. It has a receptacle that you can plug your cell phone car charger into in case you get the double whamy of dead battery and dead cell phone battery. It also has a lamp. I'm sure it will fit in the rear shelf compartment.


Boxster Jump Starter


Glad you got it solved. I am going to go get one today.
__________________
'08 987S, 6 Speed, Guards Red, Black Interior, 19" Chrome Wheels, Clear Bra, Painted Side Vents, Dension Ipod, Clear Side Markers, Cayman Sports Tip, Red Tail Lights
r9i8c7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
^ SMART...

btw, it fits very snugly in the rear shelf compartment. Charge it up for 24 hours and you'll never have to beg a stranger (aka serial killer) for a jump start again.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 631
hmm...I never really thought about that until you brought it up. I'm going to go buy one of those b&d things suggested. Thanks for being the guinea pig.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:37 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 793
Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
That was quite a hassle to get your hood open. I think I'm going to check out that B&D box, too.

Glad you got it open.

__________________
I bleed green

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.


http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page