Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 10:49 AM   #21

Said purchaser indicated an unfamiliarity with manual transmissions. => I don't know ANYBODY like that in Europe :-) As I said, it's also cultural difference. And back to technically, you can't compare tiptro and F1 or rally car gearboxes.
Anyway, Walter Rorhl (Porsche famous test driver) comments badly on Porsche gearboxes. He too cannot understand they only have manual and this tiptro and not a DSG or F1 style one. But as I pointed too in the post just above one, Porsche is finally working on one...

Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:59 AM   #22

But this is digression on the original post :-)
This is a whole different than choosing between 2 boxs!
Old 06-24-2004, 11:13 AM   #23
Forum Contributor

Give Porsche credit in that the race circuit is their testing ground and they do not as a rule release upon us components that haven't repeatedly proven their worth in this arena. They are doing that right now with a sequential gearbox in the 911 GT3 RSR.

If Porsche still participanted in F1 we no doubt would have already had a choice of the sequential gearbox for our street cars.

As far as the original post, we can all give our opinions, for whatever they're worth, but in the end you really need to try both and decide what's right for you. My opinion is either way you can't lose. Good luck.
atomichead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by atomichead
[B]Give Porsche credit in that the race circuit is their testing ground and they do not as a rule release upon us components that haven't repeatedly proven their worth in this arena. They are doing that right now with a sequential gearbox in the 911 GT3 RSR.

If Porsche still participanted in F1 we no doubt would have already had a choice of the sequential gearbox for our street cars.
If I recall correctly, Porsche gave the world its' first semiautomatic gearbox in the PDK box fitted to the factory Porsche 962s in the late eighties.. The Tiptronic is from my limited knowlege of transmission mechanicals, not the same thing.

Also (not to belabor the point that this isn't a thread about F1 transmissions) automatic downshifts in F1 have been banned for several years. Automatic upshifts I believe were legal until last season.

And as cool as the Ferrari F1 and BMW SMGs are, I think I'd probably still prefer a slick shifting manual box in my Boxster.
F1CAR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:26 PM   #25

Sorry - but not entirely correct:

Volkswagen had a semi-automatic back in 1968. I know my family had one...

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:59 AM   #26

Porsche had an automatic way back in the 911 called a Sportomatic. Many of the car magazines of the time enjoyed the performance of the car with this transmission.

I have to agree with Ronzi's posts on the Tip. It isn't the anti-christ - it's a viable way to move your Porsche around. I have had a 98 Tip Boxster, a 57 356 Speedster 4 speed manual, an 03 911 C2 Cab 6 speed, and now an 03 Boxster S Tip over the last four years. The 356 had a progressive clutch and was easy to drive around town. The 911 had a heavy clutch and was a bear in around town traffic as the clutch needed a rev blip to settle into gear and go without stalling. If I only lived in the country or on a race track, the 6 speed was fine. It was not second nature in heavy traffic and never would be. With SUV drivers pulling up to within an inch of you on every stop, you couldn't just be lazy with the clutch and let it slip a little to engage. I don't miss the 6 speed one bit. Different strokes for different folks. I'm sorry if some people feel that a 5 or 6 speed only equals a sports car. A sports car is about handling, steering feedback, carving a line, and many other things. Matching revs on down shifts is slick, but it isn't the only thing in the sports car portfolio. A lot of people have manual transmissions in Hondas and Toyotas and most of those will still be boring sedans at the end of the day, despite the hallowed manual transmission. Enjoy your choice, I'm enjoying mine with the Tip and don't buy the manual tranny argument
BrianF1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:29 AM   #27

I personally don't drive in traffic with the boxst. See below...and THERE you DON'T WANT a Tip... :-)
Old 07-01-2004, 04:58 AM   #28
b0xt0La

That road looks nice! Do you have raods with no speed limits in Switzerland?
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:54 AM   #29

Well, I was in the same situation when I bought my boxster (a 2000 S) a couple of months ago. I had never driven a stick before. But, like alot of people on here, I felt that if I was going to buy a sports car I should be able to control it like a sports car, not let it control me. I had opportunities to get a tip (and some really good deals too), but I held out for a manual. And I have to tell you that the first couple of weeks I was terrified every time I drove it. But it soon becomes second nature. It was supposed to be my nights and weekend car but I now drive it all the time (unless I need to haul something or I have my dogs in the car in which case I still have my boring subie automatic). Even in rush hour it is fun to drive. And it makes me pay attention while I am driving, unlikethe cell calling, DVD watching drivers of behemoth SUV's and minivans (any escalade drivers out there care to fess up?). To me, the reason I bought this car is to DRIVE it. And part of the fun of driving it is shifting. If I wanted something where the driving was transparent I wouldn't have bought this car.
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:28 PM   #30

no, but Germany isn't far :-) but that's only on the highway, and what's the fun driving fast on the highway? push it to 160mph? I have more fun in the curves of mountain roads where i frequently push it to 110-120mph then brake for the turn and so on...we have amazing roads here...never stops to turn...My sister's husband is from the US, and when he got to see our roads he was just amazed how many curves, hairpins, ups and downs we have :-) The trick is to take a day off in the middle of the week to have a clear road :-)
Old 07-03-2004, 12:11 AM   #31
Forum Member

Hello. I'm a newbie. Decided to join in just because of the discussion concerning transmission I race cars so I'd like to try clear something up as well as make suggestions. Hope y'all don't mind! The only tiptronic I've driven is on a 911. Everything else is strictly manual. ECWFAN, since you said you want to start learning, now is the time It's not rocket science.. Once you get use to it, you don't even have to think. Heck, my legs and hand move automatically it seems. Driving in traffic... Well, you know, that car can crawl in 2nd gear with barely a press on the pedal. Once you get to know you car well enough, it'll be a breeze. Besides, the clutch doesn't require strong legs to begin with. I have driven a manual 2 weeks out of knee surgery. One thing though, I noticed with many manual transmission drivers, is that they tend to overdo the shifting. That is to say, some people shift for no good reason (I do that to, just for the fun of it!) Well, IMHO, after 14 years of professional and leisure driving, if you want pure driving fun, go with the stick shift. If you want to race, get a car with paddle shifters. If you want to fiddle with the radio constantly as you drive, while balancing your coke can with the other hand and chatting with your partner on the phone (Of course I don't encourage any of these actions while driving) then get the tiptronic. It does not feel the same as real manual shifting. Not even close. Look at the torque graphs and you can already tell the difference. As to the disagreement....F1 paddle shift is NOT automatic. It's called a sequential manual transmission. The only difference with an H-gate manual transmission is the shape of the gear & arrangement of rods. You still have to shift up and down, the shifter wouldn't do it for you. Tiptronic is automatic. The difference is in gear ratios, and who decides to change gear The main reason we use paddle shifters on race cars is... time. We also like to keep both hands on the wheel. It's simply quicker. When racing, the last thing you'd want to think about is what gear you're in! Besides, I wouldn't want to miss a gear on downshifts! Ronzi, I'm sorry but real paddle shifters will not shift unless you tell it to. The transmission doesn't decide for you. The only electronics in there is the solenoid that connects the paddle to the hydraulics actuating the gearbox. We also use straight line sequential shifters. Tiptronic is fully automatic, regardless of what some people say. It shifts slower, and like the others pointed out, comes with a torque converter. As hard as I tried, I couldn't redline that tiptronic on that 911. What fun is that?
jack812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 01:59 AM   #32

...agree, tip definitely castrates the engine... :-) Besides the manual gearbox of the boxster is amongst the best...
Jack, what sort of cars do you race?