Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #1

Can't find a DIY for oil change anywhere

hi folks,

we have had our car a year and only put about 6k miles on it, so it's time to change the oil. I just called both local dealers.....$180. There is just no way I can pay that for 6(?) quarts of M1 and a filter???? in this case, the Porsche premium is just too much.

I have searched endlessly trying to find a DIY guide for oil and filter change on a 986 S within the forum. I have seen bits and pieces like what allen wrench to use, and the type of filter wrench, etc.

but I have never owned a Porsche before(where's the motor, anyway? )

I assume you roll the back end onto ramps?

surely someon has put this together? since I could not locate one, it got me to thinking that changing your own oil in a boxster is NOT a good idea?

thanks for the help.....

2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
bmussatti

S_Pilot, you will need more like 9-10 quarts of Mobil 1 0W40.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #3

http://www.theschillings.com/

jihm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #4

You need a DIY?

Back it up on some ramps, unscrew the drain plug, and drain the oil. Once it's done, put the plug back in with a NEW crush washer and torque to spec.

Then remove the filter cannister, drain the oil from it and let the old cartridge drain as much as it can. It's probably a good idea to wipe out the cannister, in case any large particles settled in there. Clean off the threads and remove the old O ring, and put your new one on. Insert your new filter element, and screw it back on.

Put 9 quarts of oil in the engine, and start it, move the car to a level surface and shut off the engine.

Check your oil level using the dipstick (or gauge for 987, for 986, you can use the gauge, but verify with the dipstick), and top it up using your 10th quart. It shouldn't take more than .5 qt.

Also a hint, if you use the dash oil level gauge (986 only) each bar is about one cup of oil (cup as in a cooking measure cup).

Changing the oil is VERY VERY simple in these cars.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #5

hey, thanks for the help. I change the oil on all my other vehicles, but I have never owned a mid-engine car, or a porsche. Those Germans build things that are incredible mechanically, but they do it their own way. i did not want to presume it was simple like any other car I have done.

I figured for $180 at the dealer, there must be some big secret(yea, sure)

last question. I have heard folks say I should use a genuine Porsche filter removal tool as the genaric ones don't seem to seat right. TRUE?

thanks.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #6

Another good one here http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_oil_change/box_oil_change.htm
Old 05-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_PILOT
hey, thanks for the help. I change the oil on all my other vehicles, but I have never owned a mid-engine car, or a porsche. Those Germans build things that are incredible mechanically, but they do it their own way. i did not want to presume it was simple like any other car I have done.

I figured for $180 at the dealer, there must be some big secret(yea, sure)

last question. I have heard folks say I should use a genuine Porsche filter removal tool as the generic ones don't seem to seat right. TRUE?

thanks.

You can't go wrong with the genuine Porsche tool, that's for sure, but there are some generic ones that will work. I opted for the Porsche tool.

With all the parts, oil and the filter wrench, your first oil change will cost about $100-110... I'd go ahead and order a few of the drain plug washers, and maybe a couple filters, because they're really not that expensive, then obtain the oil locally.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #8

JIHM,

thanks for the link. exactly what I was looking for as a "first-timer"
Old 05-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #9

All great advice on the oil change. One word of caution. Your Boxster takes 9.3 quarts of oil with a filter change but it is better to use slightly less than too much. If you over fill with oil it will ruin your CATs which cost big money. Also, that $180 oil change quote is not bad when you consider that tha oil alone is $60 minimum (they have to open the 10th qt to give you that 0.25 or 0.30 quart) then the filter is between $21 - $24 so you're looking at about $84 without labor. And the Porsche dealers get about $125 - $150 per hour for labor. Those F'er's
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #10

If you don't have ramps, you can do what i did. I went to Home Depot and purchased two 2x10s, had them cut four 18" pieces and four 12" pieces, took them home, screwed them together and had ramps for around $10. The extra four inches all the clearance I needed.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
If you don't have ramps, you can do what i did. I went to Home Depot and purchased two 2x10s, had them cut four 18" pieces and four 12" pieces, took them home, screwed them together and had ramps for around $10. The extra four inches all the clearance I needed.
A set of Rhino Ramps is not much more expensive and you will have them for years.

I encountered one problem. A friend and fellow Boxster owner had visited to observe the oil change process. When I was driving my car off the ramps one of them shot out from under the wheel and nearly hit him. I don't know why it happened. I suspect it was a combination of agressive tire tread pattern and applying a little too much gas.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
A set of Rhino Ramps is not much more expensive and you will have them for years.

I encountered one problem. A friend and fellow Boxster owner had visited to observe the oil change process. When I was driving my car off the ramps one of them shot out from under the wheel and nearly hit him. I don't know why it happened. I suspect it was a combination of agressive tire tread pattern and applying a little too much gas.
I have the Rhino ramps too. They are great. But the exact same thing happened to me. When driving back down the ramps the left rear tire spit the ramp out and it went flying almost hitting my cousin. Wheel torque + light weight ramps + smooth plastic surface under the ramps = be careful driving off them.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #13

I got the Rhino ramps (used) for $20 -- the 8000 lb ones -- and they work perfectly.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i have the ramps too, i dont think they are teh same brand, but they all the same.
my friend came over to change his oil and one slipped as he was trying to back the car onto them, and car was all sideways and scraped all over the bottom of the right side of the bumper, underneath.

i usually try and place them so that the back end is against something like the grooves seperating diff. parts of concrete,worked great so far.
i also first drive the car onto 2 pieces of wood to get the car a littl higher couse otherwise it scrapes on the bottom of the bumper...weird. but those 2 pieces helped and for some reason no more slippage.

so be careful with that definitely

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote