Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2004, 08:35 AM   #1

Can I perform an oil change on my own?

Hi all enthusiast!

Could somebody please give me exacting instructions on how to perform an oil-change on my 99 Boxster?

I would like to start doing these menial tasks (is it?) on my own instead of paying circa $239 for a it at the dealership.

Would also like to know what brand of oil is the best and what are the other components that are looked at during this kind of scheduled maintenance.

Thanks in advance.

lejolierogue

Old 06-11-2004, 09:38 AM   #2

Here are some examples:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?act=Content&code=diy_oc

http://www.986faq.com/7-0/oil.asp

I have spoken to a racer who stated that Valvoline Synthetic has been very good to them.

I have always liked Castrol oil's, but he [racer] stated having excessive valve wear using Castrol Synthetic.

I live in a warm area, and I prefer 20-50 due to it's higher viscosity. Thicker oil equals more protection; viscosity breaks down as it degrades under use.

If you were to feel 10-40 compared to 20-50 you would feel a difference,

It would be better to keep the thickest wall of protection between your journals and your bearings.

Mobil is good if you can get it at a reasonable cost.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #3

I take mine to a GOOD ten minute oil change and they let me watch everything they are doing unlike the dealer at a cost of 117.00 for the Ames oil not including filter. They are more careful with my car than the dealer
Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:44 AM   #4

You should check out this prior thread on a similar topic.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:01 PM   #5

Higher viscosity oil is not always better than thinner oil, it depends on the needs of your engine.

Synthetic oil is always better for a car than refined crude oil.

Castrol Syntec(USA) is not a true synthetic oil like Mobil One and Amsoil.

From an engineering viewpoint, Red Line is better than other Synthetic oils. In the real world, the difference between synthetic oils may not be significant
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Ad Sach
Higher viscosity oil is not always better than thinner oil, it depends on the needs of your engine.

Synthetic oil is always better for a car than refined crude oil.

Castrol Syntec(USA) is not a true synthetic oil like Mobil One and Amsoil.

From an engineering viewpoint, Red Line is better than other Synthetic oils. In the real world, the difference between synthetic oils may not be significant
The needs of your engine are determined by the manufacture, which is only worried about - the bottom line.

You have to understand that if manufactures were to make there car's last longer, you would need not buy a new one.

The warranty would dictate what types of oil you can use.

So take the recommendations of the manufacture with a grain of salt, ask around and see what works best for your motor from Porsche tuners [who are honest].

I have had most of my engines go over 200,000 miles by being religious about doing my oil changes, and using 20w-50w oil.

If there is any truth to using a lower viscosity oil [besides temperature], I would like to hear about it.

If Redline were better, oil then some of the other synthetics, it would be recommended by Porsche. If you want to run Redline then have a fat wallet.

The only reason I prefer Valvoline synthetic is due to price, Mobil 1 seems to be over priced, Castrol of course due to engine wear problems.

I have not read anything on the others; I stick with what is proven to work for me.

Scott

mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote