View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004, 06:14 PM   #6
mrmickeymouse

Quote:
Originally posted by Ad Sach
Higher viscosity oil is not always better than thinner oil, it depends on the needs of your engine.

Synthetic oil is always better for a car than refined crude oil.

Castrol Syntec(USA) is not a true synthetic oil like Mobil One and Amsoil.

From an engineering viewpoint, Red Line is better than other Synthetic oils. In the real world, the difference between synthetic oils may not be significant
The needs of your engine are determined by the manufacture, which is only worried about - the bottom line.

You have to understand that if manufactures were to make there car's last longer, you would need not buy a new one.

The warranty would dictate what types of oil you can use.

So take the recommendations of the manufacture with a grain of salt, ask around and see what works best for your motor from Porsche tuners [who are honest].

I have had most of my engines go over 200,000 miles by being religious about doing my oil changes, and using 20w-50w oil.

If there is any truth to using a lower viscosity oil [besides temperature], I would like to hear about it.

If Redline were better, oil then some of the other synthetics, it would be recommended by Porsche. If you want to run Redline then have a fat wallet.

The only reason I prefer Valvoline synthetic is due to price, Mobil 1 seems to be over priced, Castrol of course due to engine wear problems.

I have not read anything on the others; I stick with what is proven to work for me.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote