Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #1

PROBLEMS 2000 Boxster S

2000 Boxster S

Problem 1:

At start up either cold or warm the engine emits white smoke and sometimes a white/blue type smoke. I thought this was typical for the car but now it does it much more than just random. The other dayat a stop light (car was warm) the light turned green and the whole block filled with smoke; it seems to be getting progressively worse.

Problem 2:

A loud “squeaking” noise coming from engine. It sounds like a belt noise but the belt was replaced along with the alternator and the noise is still there. The noise does not get any louder when the engine is reved and seems to go away around 3500 rpm while driving. Once down to idle to noise comes back.

Problem 3:

Car seems to run a little hotter than in the past. From what I can remember the car would run at approx 180 -185 on the highway and go up slightly at idle. The car is now running approx 200-210 range on highway and may go up approx 5 degree at adle.

I think that a piston ring may be bad but I really don’t want to jump to any conclusions at this point. Any advise?

Thanks
Edgar

Last edited by eze5601; 05-14-2007 at 12:52 PM.
eze5601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #2

All your problems could be related to the same issue, but each sounds like something different to me. Possibilities include...

1. Oil Separator has gone bad, allowing oil to accumulate in the intake, hence the white and blue smoke. Try opening the oil fill cap when it's doing it and close it again to see if it goes away. Turn the engine off first to keep from getting a check engine light if you like. If this alleviates the smoke, it's the separator.

2. Could it be that a pulley is worn and you simply don't hear it at certain rpm's because of other sounds from the car? You should have a mechanic ride with you and hear it firsthand.

3. When this high temp stuff happened to me, I discovered that my primary radiator fan died. To check your fans, bring the car up to temp, park it running with the AC on full blast, and walk to the front of the car. If you can feel hot air blowing from the fans just ahead of both tires (under the front bumper) they are working and there is another issue. If one or both are not working, it could be a fuse, or something else.

Hope this helps... I'm just taking a stab at what I've learned and experienced, so the real causes may be completely different. However, these aren't completely off the mark as possible causes.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze5601
2000 Boxster S

Problem 2:

A loud “squeaking” noise coming from engine. It sounds like a belt noise but the belt was replaced along with the alternator and the noise is still there. The noise does not get any louder when the engine is reved and seems to go away around 3500 rpm while driving. Once down to idle to noise comes back.
I have the exact same problem with my 98' Boxster TipTronic. First we thought that is was a belt, then the local mechanic tried to fix it by adjusting the exhaust, but now we believe it's a belt of some sort again. The sound is very annoying, does'nt get louder and is present while in any gears including neutral.

Any insights anyone ??
JSebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:53 AM   #4

Take to a mechanic now

With that smoke coming out of your engine the squeak is the least of your problems. This sounds serious. Don't waste time asking questions on the forum take it to a qualified Porsche mechanic now. The Boxster has 3 piston rings, two upper compression rings and a lower three-piece oil scraper ring. Either the compression rings or the lower scraper ring may be shot and letting oil blow by and burn. Soon your CATs will be ruined so don't wait get it fixed now before it becomes any more expensive to fix. This would also explain your high engine temps as the pistons are not getting enough oil. Eventually they will sieze up in the cylinders. This is only one possible reason for your problem. It could very well be something else.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.

Last edited by 2000SoCalBoxsterS; 05-23-2007 at 03:58 AM.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
2000 Boxster S

Problem 1:

At start up either cold or warm the engine emits white smoke and sometimes a white/blue type smoke. I thought this was typical for the car but now it does it much more than just random. The other dayat a stop light (car was warm) the light turned green and the whole block filled with smoke; it seems to be getting progressively worse.
A bad AOS (Air Oil Seperator) can allow oil to get into the intake. Some signs of this can be oil drippage around the throttle body. You can remove the vacuum line from the AOS to the intake, and if you see oil, replace your AOS.

Quote:
Problem 2:

A failing AOS can also make a squeaking sound, so I've heard, which can vary at engine speed.

Quote:
Problem 3:

Car seems to run a little hotter than in the past. From what I can remember the car would run at approx 180 -185 on the highway and go up slightly at idle. The car is now running approx 200-210 range on highway and may go up approx 5 degree at idle.
This one is probably the simplest one. You should start by removing your front bumper skin, and clean out the radiators. Check the fans for proper operation, also be sure your coolant level is good.

If you don't know how to check the above things, take it to a qualified Porsche mechanic. Have him check the AOS and replace it if it even looks at him funny. If cleaning out the radiators doesn't help the operating temperature, have him check the fans, including the engine bay fan.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #6

You could have two or three different problems here.

1. White smoke from the exhaust in great amounts indicates coolant burning off. Has the coolant level dropped? Check the expansion tank in the rear trunk. While you're there, pull the dipstick and see if there's any evidence of water droplets or "milky" oil on it, indicating coolant mixing with oil. Blue smoke from the exhaust that smells like oil burning is an indication of possible oil seperator failure.

2. The squealing you hear could be a pulley, a bad water pump, or a failing oil seperator.

3. Your car running hotter could be due to blocked radiators, low coolant, or an air bubble in the coolant jacket caused by leakage. I suppose it could also be caused by the water pump failing.

You should get your car to a qualified mechanic ASAP.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #7

2000 boxster

HEY I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM With the white and blue smoke. Its just The OIL SEPERATOR. I had it checked by two different porsche dealers as well, so i know it is. My car runs fine now. Also the heating problem is pretty normal on boxsters. It does tend to heat past the mid level, but your fan should turn on, and it will gradually cool. HOPE this helps!!!

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote