Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lifespan of Boxster

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a porsche boxster and was wondering how long they lasted. Has anyone seen them go up 200k in mileage. I want to own the car for awhile. What are the average mileage life spans in general with good care. Thanks.

Berenice

berenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:50 AM   #2

200k? What car can get you to 200k? I've heard of some hondas that are just beat to hell at 200k miles.

I don't know. I've seen ones that are close to 100k, but I've not seen any that are 200k.

Maybe others may know.

I think that if you need a car to last you to 200k, Porsche may not be the way to go though. It would seem to me that these guys don't become beaters.

Just my thoughts.

JBG
Old 06-09-2004, 08:11 AM   #3
Forum Member

Lifespan of boxster

Well,

I currently own a Lexus SC300 that has 180k miles and still looks and runs great. Maybe I was just spoiled, but I was hoping that my next car would last as long. So, it sounds like I should be able to hit 100k with no problem on a boxster. How is the gas mileage and maintenance on these cars? Forgive my ignorance! I know nothing about cars. Thanks.

Berenice
Old 06-09-2004, 08:49 AM   #4

Toyota, Honda are just getting broken at 200,000.

I once saw a woman bring her Toyota to friends place with 160,000 miles for it's first oil change.

She thought... you just take it to the gas station and let them add oil.

The oil came out like jelly, she said she didn't know it needed to be changed.

My 97 Boxster 134,000 + miles.

Scott

Last edited by mrmickeymouse; 06-09-2004 at 04:01 PM.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 08:56 AM   #5

Alright, my mistake. I guess all the guys I know with 200k miles aren't taking care of their cars. Scott there says 134+

from my experience Berenice, maintenance is expensive. Hard to get around that, you end up paying a preminum for the german car. My 30k servicing (oil change, spark plug change, filter, check over the car stuff) was ranging between 1100 to 500 dollars. Mind you, this is just for checking it out.

As for the gas milage, I get abou 260 miles on a 15 gallon tank for my 2000 Boxster. This is mostly back and forth from work, so it not exactly highway nor is it in the city driving. So everyday driving, you should expect about 17-18 MPG

Good luck and I hope you get to drive the car a bit. Its more than the numbers
Old 06-09-2004, 12:09 PM   #6

Tech writer Jim Pasha in Excellence magazine (Aug., '04) notes that the "established longevity for 911 engines over the past 25 years averages 230,000 miles before teardown." He goes on to say that "The new engines (986/996) should duplicate this with ease if the high mileage Boxsters I've been watching are any indication."
Time, and miles, will tell, but it looks promising.
Ronzi
'99 Boxster (27,000 miles)
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
Forum Member

Lifespan of Boxster

Well, thanks for all the input. I found a silver one for a good price, but it's a 1997. I am not looking for monster performance, but wondered how much difference there is in the 97 engine versus 2004. Any input?
Old 06-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

Oops, it's a 98.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:26 PM   #9

There is an article in the latest issue of Excellence that compares the Boxster S 550 to a 97 2.5 liter Boxster. They have great things to say about the early cars.
acf53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:25 PM   #10

Re: Lifespan of Boxster

Quote:
Originally posted by berenice
I am not looking for monster performance, but wondered how much difference there is in the 97 engine versus 2004?
3 engine sizes (97-04)
2.5L 201HP
2.7L 217-228HP
3.2L 250-258HP

You can tell the difference between each of the 3 engine sizes driven back-to-back.

The Boxster changes have been mostly evolutionary, but a 2001 will have improvements on a 98 (insulated ragtop, engine performance) and a 2004 will have more(glove box, glass rear window)

No Boxster choice is a bad Boxster choice (unless the car has been abused and not repaired well), but there are some differences that may seem significant. I spent some time to educate myself on the options, and feel it was time well spent.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:42 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
My high mileage cars I've owned in the past

1974 VW Beetle Semi-Automatic 283,000 miles engine rebuilt once 1600 cc dual port. Bought used with 45,000 miles on it

1984 Pontiac Fiero SE, Tech 4 - 2.5 liter 4cyl, 4 speed 254,000 miles, sold in 1992 saw again 16 months later with 315,000 miles (yeah it was one of the good ones) Bought 4 years old with 30,000 miles on it, new engine with 4,000 miles due to GM engine recall in 1988.

1986 Audi GT Commemorative Edition, 5cyl 5 speed, 182,000 miles
still running, now in Des Moines, Iowa. Ist car bought on ebay, bought in Tulsa, OK with 76,000 miles on it.

1990 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro, 5cyl, 5 speed 228,000 miles
still running in Atlanta, Georgia

1990 VW Cabriolet, Boutique Edition 5 speed 206,000 miles
still running with original R-12 A/C in Atlanta, sold to a friend last year.

Both Audis, no major engine teardown.

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 198,000 still getting 52 MPG on diesel
still running in Tennessee.

1993 VW Eurovan MV (5cyl 4speed automatic FWD) 160,000 miles
(transmission giving up, engine is still strong, still have it)

1990 Honda Pacific Coast Motorcycle 800cc V-twin 130,000 miles
(roommate totaled in 1994)

1978 Honda Accord CVCC Hatchback 5 speed 204,000 miles
bought for 60 dollars in 1988!, installed new headgasket, rebuilt the head, new water pump, battery and tires had 99,890 miles on it when it bought it, never gave me a problem.

1969 Porsche 911T - Semi Automatic 188,000 miles
1969 Porsche 911SC - 4 speed 166,000 miles

both Porsches had about 90K on them when I bought them in San Francisco. The T was a great snow car to take to Tahoe for skiing.

Every VW, Audi or Porsche I have ever owned has made it past 160,000 miles.

If you intend to own a car for that long, save up now for at least a head rebuild. Expect to replace wheel/hub bearings and suspension stuff, a clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel trimming, pilot bearing, miscellaneous seals, hoses, fuel lines, engine/trans mounts This is the 100K stuff that is less expensive to replace when neighboring major components are removed for service.

A trustworthy, patient and knowledgeable technician can help keep the vehicle in top shape. I just don't understand why people freak out at the 100K mark. Get the work done and have it done right, it will last you another 100K.

I drive across the country every chance I get, and travel for work. The miles add up quickly.

Its all in how you take care of the vehicle and finding a good technician to work on it if you don't do the work yourself.

I hope to get a lot of miles out of my new Boxster.

Bamaboxster
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:20 AM   #12

Berenice,

Get the newest model year you can afford. Get one with low mileage if you can that still has some warranty left on it. A 1997 is already pretty old now, I'd shy away from that year simply because they were the first ones. 2000 or newer would be the way to go. My 1999 has 72,500 miles on it, no problems. As for making it to 200,000 -- hard to say, these cars are relatively "new" so not that common for anyone to have put that many miles on one yet. There might be a few getting into the 130,000 miles now, but not too much more than that. And remember, a lot of people just drive these cars for fun on the weekends, not as their daily driver. I don't find the maintenance to be that expensive really, but it is more than your generic run of the mill Honda. It's a Porsche after all, just always going to cost more for parts and service.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #13
Forum Member

I fully understand the concept of high $$$ for parts and maintenance.
However, why not do it yourself? Grant it – not many of us have the time. But I believe in trying to do the most minimal work (oil change).

My question is: Is the Boxster a difficult vehicle to do prevent. Maintenance?
Is it a hard engine to work on? I’m all for doing my own work – to me, it’s a special way to bond w/ my ride and appreciate it even more. It helps me understand how systems work and what makes them do the things they do.
Ronzi explained in an earlier post how essential maintenance documentation is on these particular cars – especially in the re-sale market.

So, to all of those who tinker on their own 986’s – do you need special factory tools to work on a 986?

Also, since you’re on the subject of mileage – I own a Land Cruiser w/ 221,000 miles. Only thing ever went bad was the alternator at 200k. And believe me, this is not your soccer mom/mall Land Cruiser – it’s been rock climbing, wheeling in 4’ mud/snow, towing, etc…

Gracias!
-DH
goldenshellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:28 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
It was my understanding that it's somewhat difficult to work on a Boxster because of where the engine is. Of course I don't work on any cars, so they'd all be difficult for me. But I do know someone who went to look at a Boxster at the dealer and asked the salesman to see the engine. He told him he couldn't show it to him and so the guy left.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:52 AM   #15

For the basic maintenance (filters, oil change, etc.) there is no need for special (ie: Porsche-specific) tools. Basic tasks (plugs, oil, filters, brake pads, etc.) can be done fairly easily - an oil change is a breeze and requires no covers/panels removal.

L-B, I can guess when the salesman was unwilling to go to the effort of showing the engine -- there was a period of time where the Porsche dealerships virtually had to be begged just to deign to take your order (~early CY2001). Of course, they could have just walked the person over to the service area if they didn't want to strip out the cover in a showroom car... but that would have been too much work then! They could sell any car they had/wanted to sell at the time as they were in short supply.

Luckily, the dealers are much more amenable these days...
Old 06-11-2004, 06:59 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
yes, that was quite a few years back that he had the problem seeing the engine. He just left so the guy lost a potential sale. I'm glad to hear oil changes and such aren't as bad as I'd thought. This brings to mind a funny thing that happened with a friend that had a boxster. He loaned it to his dad. A light came on on the dashboard while he was driving on the interstate. He pulled over on the side of the road because he didn't know what it meant and was worried something was wrong with his son's car. A state trooper stopped to help him and asked what the problem was. The dad goes, "This is my son's car and a light came on. I think it might need oil or something." The trooper looked in at the light and goes, "Sir, you are out of windshield wiper fluid. Do you need help with anything else?" To that the dad replied, "Actually, yes. Can you tell me where I put gas in this car?"
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #17

Which reminds me of the admonition to 911 owners to never show anyone the engine compartment of their 911 with the intention of impressing them, because it looks like the inside of a washing machine.
I was somewhat irritated at this until I went out to the garage and popped the engine cover on the 911 I had at the time, and by god it DID look like the inside of a washing machine.
The Boxster isn't a whole lot better. The "Porsche" labelled intake runners are kind of neat, but the rest is just a bunch of hoses and wires, like most late model cars. I have no idea what maintenance can be done from the topside, but it can't be much. According to what I have read, the Box was designed to be serviced from the bottom, with the car on a lift.
Ronzi
'99 Boxster
Speed Yellow/black
(Liftless)
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #18
Forum Contributor

Longevity

Berenice:
Longevity - Last March (2003) I went from a 128,000 mile Lexus SC 400 to my 11,000 mile 2000 Boxster S. I thought the Lexus handled well until I drove the Boxster. The Lexus was quieter that the Porsche, even with that many miles on it, but it was starting to cost money in peripherals - the electric windows were starting to play up, the leather was looking shabby. The good thing about Lexus though, is the relatively cheap maintenance and spares. My Boxster squeaks and rattles a bit on bumpy roads, (but much less now that I have Bridgestone SO3 Potenzas on it - over the stock Pirellis - big improvement). My car now has 18,000 and not a single issue so far. I plan on keeping mine for years, but it will take me a loooong time to wrack up 200,000 at this rate, still its good to know there are Boxsters out there with big trouble free numbers on them. I think that, barring some anomoly, longevity is directly proportional to sympathetic use (including maintenance). The only real problem I've heard about with Boxsters is porous casings on some early '97s. And from what I've heard Porsche took care of those early owners.
MPG - My car has an on-board computer in the nav. system - and it gives trip specific or cummulative mpg - the cummulative average is about 21, mostly town driving with the occasional long (40-400 mile) run. On the freeway it will average about 26-28, but if I'm in no hurry to get my next ticket I can easily get in the low 30s.

Bamaboxster: Holy crap thats a lot of miles over the years.

Eugene 2000 S/2003 Tundra/2001 Aprilia RSV

evander13 is offline   Reply With Quote