View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #18
evander13
Forum Contributor

Longevity

Berenice:
Longevity - Last March (2003) I went from a 128,000 mile Lexus SC 400 to my 11,000 mile 2000 Boxster S. I thought the Lexus handled well until I drove the Boxster. The Lexus was quieter that the Porsche, even with that many miles on it, but it was starting to cost money in peripherals - the electric windows were starting to play up, the leather was looking shabby. The good thing about Lexus though, is the relatively cheap maintenance and spares. My Boxster squeaks and rattles a bit on bumpy roads, (but much less now that I have Bridgestone SO3 Potenzas on it - over the stock Pirellis - big improvement). My car now has 18,000 and not a single issue so far. I plan on keeping mine for years, but it will take me a loooong time to wrack up 200,000 at this rate, still its good to know there are Boxsters out there with big trouble free numbers on them. I think that, barring some anomoly, longevity is directly proportional to sympathetic use (including maintenance). The only real problem I've heard about with Boxsters is porous casings on some early '97s. And from what I've heard Porsche took care of those early owners.
MPG - My car has an on-board computer in the nav. system - and it gives trip specific or cummulative mpg - the cummulative average is about 21, mostly town driving with the occasional long (40-400 mile) run. On the freeway it will average about 26-28, but if I'm in no hurry to get my next ticket I can easily get in the low 30s.

Bamaboxster: Holy crap thats a lot of miles over the years.

Eugene 2000 S/2003 Tundra/2001 Aprilia RSV
evander13 is offline   Reply With Quote