Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #1

Inline FM Transmitter - Drive + Play?

Hi folks,

Finally took possession of my 2007 S, and am absolutely loving it! Going a bit crazy not being able to rev it past 4,200 though, this is going to be a loooong 2,000 miles. So without the beautiful sound of an engine revving up high, I need to make due with some good music. I've read through all the posts I could find about hooking up an iPod to the CDR24 in the 987's, and all I really need is a simple way to plug in an 1/8" adapter, so I can feed it my iPod, my GPS unit, my laptop.. anything with the standard audio jack.

I recently found this on Amazon, and it's dirt cheap. Looks like it's a simple 1/8" audio connector, so should do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-images/B000EOO80U/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0/102-5331609-4878540?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&index=0#gallery

I don't *think* it requires the full HK Drive + Play system, but I'm really not sure, and can't find any more details on any websites about it. Anyone have any experience with this unit? And would any adapters be needed to connect to the Porsche antenna, or are these standard now? And finally, in my research I found a link to two little keys that are needed to pull the factory radio out -- is that all that would be needed then to install this thing?

1. Insert the two keys to remove radio
2. Pull out factory radio
3. Attach the factory antenna into the Drive + Play device
4. Attach the antenna lead from Drive + Play to the factory radio
5. Run the 1/8" end cable behind the radio to somewhere accessible in the cabin?

Thanks for any and all comments, or if someone can recommend any other inline FM transmitters (the over the air ones just don't cut it, I'm going insane changing frequencies all the time, so I think inline is the way to go for my needs).

ejmc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #2

You want to check to see if the head unit has an auxiliary in. Use that over an antenna or FM method. PERIOD.

I was interested in the Drive + Play a while back, but that was when I was looking at a different car. Frankly, if the head unit plays MP3s from CD, I'd burn 8 hours of my favorites to a CD, throw it in and put it on shuffle. (the aftermarket headunit I kept from my previous car is now in my Boxster, and does just that... I don't even have my iPod anymore)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
You want to check to see if the head unit has an auxiliary in. Use that over an antenna or FM method. PERIOD.

I was interested in the Drive + Play a while back, but that was when I was looking at a different car. Frankly, if the head unit plays MP3s from CD, I'd burn 8 hours of my favorites to a CD, throw it in and put it on shuffle. (the aftermarket headunit I kept from my previous car is now in my Boxster, and does just that... I don't even have my iPod anymore)
Hi, thanks for the quick reply -- from everything I'd seen and read, the CDR24 in the 987's does not have a nice AUX in. So it looks like my only choices are an over the air FM transmitter, an inline one, or something like the Dension 500 unit, which costs around $500, supposedly quite temperamental for some people, and a much more involved install.
ejmc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmc11
And finally, in my research I found a link to two little keys that are needed to pull the factory radio out -- is that all that would be needed then to install this thing?
I once was told you needed a stereo key to pull it out but I remember seeing somewhere else that there is way more to it than the stereo keys....the 986 from my understanding slides right out, but not the 987 stereo
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #5

Does the 987 head unit have an input for a CD changer? If so, you can use that for your iPod /drive+play input. You'd switch to CD on your head unit, and you'd get audio, but you wouldn't be able to control anything other than the volume.

Anyway, just a thought.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote