Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #1

Leftover '06 models?

For some reason, New Country Porsche of Greenwich, CT STILL has a leftover '06 987.

http://new-country.porschedealer.com/new_cars/search.php?model=987

Carrara white... sticker is $49,900...

Which means you can likely get it for $37,000 (my '06 was $52k sticker and I got it for $40,000 back in November)

I can't believe it isn't sold in this heavily populated region of the country.

Are Boxster sales slipping?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #2

I would think the sale of Boxsters lulls in the winter, and should pick up again in the spring.

And if I ever have the scratch to be able to afford a brand spanking new Porsche, I'll wait until I can get a previous year model for cheap. I've seen the local dealer mark down Cayennes by huge amounts because they were the previous year model.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #3

uh... have you been to Greenwich? You do know that, per capita, it is among the wealthest of communities nationwide. I remember, though it's been perhaps a decade, you get off at the Metro North stop and are greated by Mercedes, lexus, etc., dealerships with Ferrari being around the corner.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
uh... have you been to Greenwich? You do know that, per capita, it is among the wealthest of communities nationwide. I remember, though it's been perhaps a decade, you get off at the Metro North stop and are greated by Mercedes, lexus, etc., dealerships with Ferrari being around the corner.

Uhh...it's kind of where I bought my car and also the area you're speaking of is exactly where this Porsche dealer is.

Right across the street from the Mercedes dealer and on the same side of the street as the BMW dealer (bought 2 cars from there), Audi dealer (same company), Bentley/Aston Martin/Rolls-Royce dealer.

This is precisely my point. Why hasn't it sold?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #5

Well, as I said I may be off on locations since it has been a few years since I've be on the Metro North. Nevertheless, in a county that supports what, Bentley and AMs, (ferrari still there, too?) you think the average buyer of Greenwich is going to buy... a Boxster? Maybe for their kid, but in a (rather small) state that boasts, what 4 Porsche dealerships... I don't find it odd at all that there is a leftover 06 Boxster especially considering the wealth of that particular town. Besides, your wondering whether Porsche sales are down based on... 1 left-over?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I think he's saying that because it is a wealthy area, people don't buy the Boxster, but instead go straight for the 911.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #7

Bingo. I lived in CT for some 20+ years and, depending on where you were, some highschoolers drove 911s to school. That dealership has over 20 911s in stock, 15+ Caymens and 10+ Cayennes that are 2008 models -- according to their webpage (whereas my local dealership may have a total of 30 or so cars in their ENTIRE inventory). This is not a knock on the Box, but if you could afford a Bentley or a Ferrari, a 911, etc., would you drive a Boxster? We're talking "new" here...

Yes, yes for those that believe the Boxster is a greater invention than the microwave, sure, you would, but I think I'd fall in the larger category of people that would buy the other(s). If money weren't the object, I pick Ferrari, Bentley or an Aston any day (twice on Thursdays) over a Boxster. Of course, if I'm buying that kind of car, I may pick up a Boxster as a third or forth car -- unless... I opt for the 911 convertable.

Last edited by cfos; 05-11-2007 at 10:36 AM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Agreed. In fact, I distinctly remember my boss at the time (who lives in Greenwich) busting on me and another coworker for not getting the 911, saying basically, that if you do get a Porsche, you should get the 911.

Meanwhile, he was bragging about buying an E-series Mercedes, which is the same price as a Boxster. LOL

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 05-11-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
Well, as I said I may be off on locations since it has been a few years since I've be on the Metro North. Nevertheless, in a county that supports what, Bentley and AMs, (ferrari still there, too?) you think the average buyer of Greenwich is going to buy... a Boxster? Maybe for their kid, but in a (rather small) state that boasts, what 4 Porsche dealerships... I don't find it odd at all that there is a leftover 06 Boxster especially considering the wealth of that particular town. Besides, your wondering whether Porsche sales are down based on... 1 left-over?

I strongly disagree. Greenwich isn't Vatican City.

In affluent areas, cars like the Boxster will likely be sold more than anything else. Many people have a lot of $$ here, yes, but that doesn't mean they look at a $50,000 sports car and say, "I can do better."

The fact is that the average family in Greenwich would probably be looking at a Boxster because it is more affordable.

Just because many of the people have a lot of $$ doesn't mean they all can afford 911s and look over the Boxster. That's an outrageous thought!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #10

I whole-heartedly agree with Boxtaboy. "Status" is far more important to the Connecticut Yankee than performance, handling, etc.

Last edited by cfos; 05-11-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #11

"In affluent areas, cars like the Boxster will likely be sold more than anything else. Many people have a lot of $$ here, yes, but that doesn't mean they look at a $50,000 sports car and say, "I can do better."

The fact is that the average family in Greenwich would probably be looking at a Boxster because it is more affordable.

Just because many of the people have a lot of $$ doesn't mean they all can afford 911s and look over the Boxster. That's an outrageous thought!!!"

Son, listen to what you are saying. The Greenwich dealership, which may know a little more than you about their clients than you... has 6 Boxsters in their inventory. Go and check, if you want:

Compare that with their complete inventory:

http://new-country.porschedealer.com/new_cars/search.php

Say what you want about "average" families. Personally, when I think average family, I think of people with young(er) children and a two seat car isn't exactly the best for soccer games and car-pooling. I mean, the average family has what, 2 cars? Maybe a third junker for their kid(s) that their kid may have bought, right? I think if Boxsters were hot, they'd carry more or have more on their way for delivery -- right?

From Wikipedia: "The median income for a household in the town is $99,086, and the median income for a family is $122,719. Males have a median income of $95,085 versus $47,806 for females." I don't know that you can generalize the residents of Greenwich as being "average".

Also from Wikipedia: Hmmm... maybe I'm wrong in the number of people choosing Ferrari -- It looks like they choose BMW:

"The town's 2006 Grand List (tax rolls) includes more than $1 billion in assessed values for automobiles, which raised $5.5 million in revenue for the town. Overall, there were 2,337 cars worth more than $50,000 on the list, and there were 3,769 BMWs, 3,474 Mercedes-Benzes, 931 Porsches, 94 Ferraris, 90 Bentleys, 65 Aston Martins, 40 Maseratis, 39 Rolls-Royces, four registered Maybachs (a brand that can retail for up to $385,000), and one Lamborghini. Greenwich has the only authorized Aston Martin dealership in the state.[11] "

It doesn't look like Porsche is hurting... I wonder how many states boast the numbers of this little "town" in Connecticut...?

Last edited by cfos; 05-11-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Here are the numbers. Porsche sells a lot more 911s than Boxsters, so I guess there's no shortage of status seekers.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #13

Interesting. A lot of Caymans going out the door.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #14

It is interesting about the caymans... I think there has been a lot of attraction because it is a new model. I also think the cayman is a more "sexy" than the Boxster, but personal opinions are going to differ. I dunno, if I was buying all over again, I might go cayman. The wife likes the idea of having a convertable much more than actually riding in the convertable.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #15

Yes, I think when I finally wear out this Boxster, I will likely opt for the Cayman (or 911) - prefer the hardtop.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #16
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Well, don't forget that the Cayman IS marketed as a notch ABOVE the Boxster series.

Also interesting is the fact that when you look at the Boxster line, more people choose the base version vs. the S model. This is in line with the idea that people buying in this price range prefer to save a buck or two if possible. However, jump to the 911 Cab, and there are about twice as many people who choose the S version over the base cab version. This then, may coincide with the idea that buyers in this price range don't care about saving the extra few bucks, and go straight for the higher status S model.

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 05-11-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
For some reason, New Country Porsche of Greenwich, CT STILL has a leftover '06 987.

Carrara white... sticker is $49,900...

Which means you can likely get it for $37,000 (my '06 was $52k sticker and I got it for $40,000 back in November)

I can't believe it isn't sold in this heavily populated region of the country.

Are Boxster sales slipping?
$37k would be a good price. I wound up paying $42k for mine (which also stickered at $52k), but that was for an 05 back in 05 - the 06's were on the lot already but not quite the same situation as it hadn't turned 06 yet.

Last edited by Dr. Kill; 05-11-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #18

That's a typo notice the Boxster below it is a 2007 going for about the same.
If its not a typo that's crazy...
I paid $30K for my out of warranty four year old Porsche with barely 9K miles.
Now you can get a year old 987 for $37K???
I would think they would lease it before letting it go for under 40K.

As for "why would you buy Boxster if you can afford more?". That's the logic of someone who really isn't into driving sports cars. More someone who is into collecting and flaunting them. I'm a SINK, single income no kids. I only spent $30K on my sports car but could well have spent much more. Had a loan check good for up to $100K when I signed the paper work. But spending more would have been absolutely "bling bling" motivated. I'm not a poser.

p.s.
Non-Roadster people have been over two seaters for a long time now....
and the slumping Boxster, Z4, Z3 etc sales back up this trend.
People these days want flash not fun...certainly not Autocross/Track duty.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-11-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
As for "why would you buy Boxster if you can afford more?". That's the logic of someone who really isn't into driving sports cars. More someone who is into collecting and flaunting them.
I don't know if I entirely agree with you. That would assume that the Boxster is the best sports car available at any price range. I can understand an argument that it is, but not everyone is going to think so. For me, I would be tempted to pick up a 911 if money were no object.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #20

"As for "why would you buy Boxster if you can afford more?". That's the logic of someone who really isn't into driving sports cars. More someone who is into collecting and flaunting them. I'm a SINK, single income no kids. I only spent $30K on my sports car but could well have spent much more. Had a loan check good for up to $100K when I signed the paper work. But spending more would have been absolutely "bling bling" motivated. I'm not a poser."

I agree with Dr. Kill and I dunno if I buy your "logic". I would think a Ferrari 360 or a 430 is also a "sports car" (have you driven either?) and one (or the other) I'd much rather own than a Boxster. Rather, I think your opinion is more of a sense of Boxster-pride, not-that-there's-anything-wrong-with-that. Of course, I'm not saying I am a "car" guy and I don't participate in autocross, etc. so take that statement as you will. Of course, you have to ask yourself why seemingly everyone on this forum is down on people that own, drive and enjoy "ricers". I'm sure their opinion of Porsche owners falls in the same caste system as people here view ferraris. Nothing more than a shifting scale.

As for the amount you spent and the amount you could have spent, you do realize the increasing rate of bankruptcy in the good 'ole USA because people are taking out more than they should... close to their limits and not being able to pay for it 2-3 years down the road...? It was probably very wise not to go closer to the $100 K limit. I think that is just more good financial sense rather than good car sense. Again, just an opinion.

Last edited by cfos; 05-11-2007 at 01:24 PM.