Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #1

good deal for a 2004 S special edition?

at the moment i am driving a lightly optioned 1996 Carrera 4 with ~125k miles on it which is, simply put, becoming a maintenance nightmare.

i'm looking at 2004 boxster s special edition (6 speed, cocoa top/interior, bose subwoofer) with ~22k miles on it. the deal i have worked out with the salesman is:

my car +$23.5 (out the door, tax, license, etc) and that include the balance of the original warranty (another 10 months) + a 2 year CPO warranty.

what do you think?

mb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:45 AM   #2

I dunno, but it doesn't strike me as a great deal.
How much - in your opinion - is your Carrera still worth?
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:08 AM   #3

not really sure but for me it sounds good

"(out the door, tax, license, etc) and that include the balance of the original warranty (another 10 months) + a 2 year CPO warranty."

Im assuming that they want less than $15K for your C4....
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #4

That sounds decent. Figure the cream puff Special Edition Boxster they're looking for high $30s for, and are offering low to mid teens for your C4. The fact that it includes 2 year CPO warranty wouuld be very attractive to me- coming from a higher mileage C4 your savings in mantainance cost will likely pay for a good portion of your car payment

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #5

I will never understand the point of negotiating a purchase price on a car while at the same time trading your car in. You are only giving back the savings you obtained in the negotiation by underselling your current car.

My suggestion is to sell your 993 on your own, there is growing demmand for these cars and the engines have a good reputation so the high mileage wouldn't scare away an enthusiast and those are the guys willing to pay above private seller blue book.
And in terms of buying, you have an enourmous amount of leverage as a Boxster buyer. There are tons of good examples. The Carrera GT paint and extra trim options are nice but the special edition isn't significantly more valuable than a regualar 2004 BoxsterS. Its added value comes from its options not because its limited in production. This applies to some very low mileage Porsches but not this one. Don't overpay for the 550 edition.

p.s.
post a picture of your 911 if you can. I see a growing number of guys restoring these cars and flipping them for a nice profit! No one wants to do the work or spend the money. Kinda like a house I guess..
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-11-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #6

my (now former) 993 (yes, i got the 986) had a pretty serious accident in january. total repair costs were a little over $13k. i figured that would scare most private buyers away...so getting the dealership to give me a decent trade in was key.
mb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #7

Understandable, given the accident history. Congrats on the new Boxster!

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote