Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #1

OBC Hack Help

Hello folks. I own a 2003 "S". This weekend I installed the OBC Hack using a switch as opposed to a stalk. I used a Heated Seat switch (as I had one handy for some reason). Anyway, after a little bit of trouble shooting, I was able to get the OBC display to function properly. The only problem that I now have is that the computer stays on after I've shut the car down, locked the car and removed the key from the ignition. All else seems to function properly with this one exception. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? My initial thought is that maybe the heated seat switch is not appropriate for this hack as it is a 2 stage switch. Otherwise, it might be a problem with my wiring. The little red light in the heated switch stays on at all times to....could this be a problem with my ground?

Any ideas would be truly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance for the troubleshooting help.

Vince

vheidenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #2

I do think your problem is directly attributed to the choice of switches. You may need to turn the OBC off at the switch, just like you would if you had turned on the heated seats. It's worth a try. Otherwise, I'd pick a different style switch like the key switch that's either on or off.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #3

Hi,

The Heat Seater Switch is the wrong type. The Seat Heater switch is a DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw) MOM-ON-OFF-MOM On to accomodate the 2 Heat Settings. What you need is a SPST (Single Pole, Single Throw) ON-OFF switch such as a TC, Lock/Unlock, Conv. Top, etc.

Why don't you just add the 4th Stalk because you won't be able to do resets with a single switch, only scroll.

I bought an entire 4-stalk unit from LA Dismantlers for $100. It was a pristine 4-stalk unit from a 996 (same-same, except the 996 has Auto Cruise Control) and they sent it completely assembled w/ Trim Pieces.

I removed the 4th Stalk (it just screws to the other three - the only one which does and not available from Porsche separately), added to my existing 3-stalk, swapped the escutcheons (3-stalk to 4-stalk) and sold the resultant 996 3-stalk piece on ebay for $135 + S/H - got my switch for FREE and netted $35 on the deal, enough to pay for the VW Motec Connectors and Wiring Harness, just to give you an idea. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-09-2007 at 01:05 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #4

I switched the switch and everything is working perfectly now. Thanks for the help. Maybe in the future I will opt for the 4th stalk. I'm not that strong at wiring projects and the install is somewhat intimidating to me.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #5

Does anyone know a place where I can have the OBC turned on in the San Diego area whithout loosing an arm. The last place I visited asked for $180
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #6

I would do it for you if you were in San Jose.

For others. There is a list being started. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13779
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob
Does anyone know a place where I can have the OBC turned on in the San Diego area whithout loosing an arm. The last place I visited asked for $180
Hi,

Without telling them you plan on doing the OBC Hack, take it to a Dealer and ask them to give you the Temperature display. Many will do this as a courtesy, or include it gratis with other service.

They want to Wet Their Beak at every opportunity, so if you tell them you want to do the OBC Hack, they will want their taste...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Why don't you just add the 4th Stalk because you won't be able to do resets with a single switch, only scroll.
ummm I did the dash switch and it resets just fine when you hold it down.
one push cycles through the options, hold it down and it resets. The only thing it cant do is set a speed for the chime to go off.

I followed the hack instructions from rennlist

weird
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #9

Vince,
What OBC hack procedures did you use? I have a 2003 S and have been tempted for some time now to add the forth stalk and activate the OBC. I have read some of the other posts where later model boxsters, usually 03 and newer don’t gain all the OBC functions. Does your function like a normal OBC?
Mike…
mmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #10

Sorry for the delay in my response Mike. I used the hack found here:

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

It is a switch hack. I followed the instructions to a "T". I have use of everything except the speed gong....which I personally would never care to use. From memory, I have the outside temp, average speed, miles till empty, trip odometer. The gong does appear, but I can't modify it. I can reset most everything else by depressing the switch for a moment or two.

My error was that I originally used a heated seat switch, which is apparently more complex than the footwell lighting rocker switch.

I spent about $50 in total on the hack. I'm still considering a 4 stalk install because I don't have cruise control on my car ('03 'S'). I'm trying to learn if I install the stalk, and have cruise control turned on in my OBC, if I will have use of that feature.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #11

Spongebob you can try Mind over motorsports on MiraMar road they turned my outside temp on. www.mindovermotorsports.com
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #12

Thanks for the info Vince.....
mmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #13

Anywhere in LA I can go to get this done?

mjstallion is offline   Reply With Quote