Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #1

Rear Speaker Opinions

I'm getting ready to do a stereo upgrade on my 02 (M490).

For those of you that upgraded the door and dash, do you consider rears essential, nice to have or only a mild improvement.

I would imagine that imaging improves if the door speakers are "freed" up from the stock amp. Considering components with drivers in doors and tweeters (if 2 way) or tweeters and midrange (if 3 way) in the dash.

larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #2

Rears are ESSENTIAL! Especially for top-down driving. The stock door speakers are sub-woofers. I added rears and upgraded the dash speakers, but left the door subs alone. The depth of the speaker pockets in the dash will limit your options.
pauldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I installed the OEM Rear Speaker Kit and love it! It only helps to fill the music,don't expect it to sounds like some concert right in your face.

Remember that it's a convertible so don't expect a competition level audio system out of it,no matter what gear you put in it.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #4

An alternative opinion on rear speakers

I was planning to include rear speakers when I upgraded the sound system in my 2002 Boxster S, but the the fellow that that did the installation (new dash speakers, door speakers, amplifier, and a small, powered subwoofer under the passenger's seat) recommended against it. He said that he preferred the imaging without the rear speakers and did not use rear speakers in any of his cars. I had been referred to him as the best installation person in town so I went with his recommendation. I am very happy with the results. I can play the system loud with little distortion and it sounds great even with the top down. It is much better that the Harmon-Kardon system with rear speakers in my BMW. You might want to try upgrading your system without the rear speakers first and see if you are happy with it.

petechar
petechar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by petechar
He said that he preferred the imaging without the rear speakers and did not use rear speakers in any of his cars.
That's a joke right?
Old 05-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #6

No joke

No; he was not joking. I have been told that is the opinion of at least some audiophiles. I believe there was a similar opinion expressed in an earlier thread on this subject. I would be interested if anyone else has any information on this view.

As I mentioned in my earlier message, it was my original intention to install the non OEM rear speaker kit that many have described on this forum. The first fellow that I talked to at the installation shop had thought the rear speakers would be a good idea but the owner diagreed and I followed his advice. Regardless, I am very happy with the sound. From what others have said about the acoustics of convertibles, I didn't expect it to sound as good as it does.

petechar
Old 05-05-2007, 11:59 PM   #7

More on Rear Speakers

Here is the quote from BMWM750 (January 26 2007):

"The factory speakers arent the worst we've seen, but are far from good. The whole idea of "rear speakers" makes any audiophile cringe. "

petechar
Old 05-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #8

I discussed this with a local stereo shop yesterday and unsolicited the guy said he wouldn't bother with the rear speakers. Interesting.

Thoughts on Dynamat? He recommended it but sounded expensive (around $300 install).
Old 05-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #9

Rear speakers and Dynamat

Rear speakers do degrade the stereo soundstage (except as part of a surround system), but if you like the sound, do what you prefer. I knew a guy who won one of the big national sound-off championships with just a left and right front speaker and a sub. Dynamat will keep the car panels from resonating to the frequencies generated by the speakers, thereby lowering distortion, but it also adds a lot of weight.
musicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #10

If you plan to install Dynamat, do yourself a favor and look up B-Quiet Ultimate. It's performance is almost identical to Dynamat Extreme, but it is thinner, lighter and half the price of Dynamat. I used it on every square inch of the interior of my Mach 1 and the thing is like a bank vault.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #11

I like the rear speakers, but then again I am no audiophile....
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #12

As to rear speakers, dont bother. Trust me. Get some decent components up frotn and drive them off a good amp. If you want bass you're going to need a small sub, but thats definitly getting into audio land.

If anyone doubts the imaging and soundstage that can be done with a convertible, I invite anyone to come for a drive in my car. And yes, I have a competition level audio system in my convertible, and no, you will never see any Sound Quality competition car have rear speakers.

As to Dynamat, a little bit goes a long way. Trust audio cars are dynamatted on every square inch, but in reality, 1/4 the amount will do 80% of the performance. It is heavy, so try to use the least possible. Lilke I said, a little goes a long way.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #13

I think the original poster should post his intended purpose of the car's stereo.

Do you want competition level,decent sound or balls to the wall bass like on those SUVs?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #14

I have the 6 speaker with rear speakers package and DSP that came with the car. When the top is down they seem to be a necessity. I find the only time I use my stereo is when the top is up which is very rare since it is not my daily driver. Can't hear much with top down except when sitting at a red light. My favorite music when in my Boxster is the sound of the engine between 4K - 6.5k rpm.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #15

I took my rear speakers out they sound like junk. I do have two 5 1/4" speakers in the door that I have not seen in any other Boxster.

That speaker box just sits in a box in the Garage next to the stock exhaust, stock shifter, and springs. I think it is time to sell off all this stuff.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I think the original poster should post his intended purpose of the car's stereo.

Do you want competition level,decent sound or balls to the wall bass like on those SUVs?
Just better sound. The stock stereo just doesn't cut it -- it is borderline acceptable but falls a bit short on clarity at higher volumes. I don't expect audiophile level. Just clean, neutral sound that I can hear comfortably while driving. No sub for me. Not looking for thump.

In speakers, I look for neutral as possible. Had MB Quarts years ago in a Miata and they about made my ears bleed - much too bright. I've had small JL Audio (VR series) in 2 older Bimmers and was pleased with the sound.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #17

petechar

which "small, powered subwoofer under the passenger's seat" ???
GoGo in SoFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #18

Small subwoofer

The compact, powered subwoofer is a JVC CS-BB2. You can see a description and owner reviews at the Crutchfield website. My installer said it was a tight fit and that it took 2-3 hours to install it.

petechar