Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #1

rear speakers kit and ipod?

Where can i research, purchase a rear kit for my boxster. Having the front and door speakers are not doing it for me I need to sorround myself with music, also, any good suggestions for an ipod kit? lastly, a good speaker replacement for my front and doors?

Please provide links and suggestions, thanks to all for all the great help!

chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #2

What year is your Boxster? Which radio do you have?

There is a guy named Harvey on eBay who sells a nice set of rear speakers. Just search for PNP speaker kit and you should find it.

Becker sells an iPod attachment for the CDR-220 radio. If you have a newer car with the CDR-23 radio it won't work. I have a link on my home computer that I will post tonight.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #3

If you have the CDR220, this thread helped me to get one installed. If you use the one that connects to the bottom of the ipod and hook up the power lead, you may hear the whine of the hard drive through the stereo. To alleviate this, just pull the fuse to the power lead until the ipod needs to be charged.

iPOD AUX
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #4

For the iPod, I used the cable from Epiq (site sponsor). It plugs into the back of the CDR-220. Comes with everything you need including stereo removal keys.

I plugs into the headphone out so it doesn't power your iPod but it works well and sounds great.

There's a guy on Ebay that sells rear speaker kits. Search Boxster rear speaker kit and you'll find it. You need the rear storage compartment for the speakers.
larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #5

We just put a Focal 3 piece component system in our 2002 S. The dash need to be modified a little bit to accept the tweeter and we started with a 6 1/2" in the door. To do this the box had to be removed. But after a downpour there was water under the speaker, so we went to a 5 1/2 and used the origional box and they sound great. We also had a JBL 520 wt amp put in the front trunk. Expensive speakers, but sooo clean! I looked for other 3 piece component systems and had no luck. Our installer suggsted the Focals and we said ok. The entire deal was $1500., more than I wanted to spend but the car only has 5000 miles on it so it'll be around for a while.

Last edited by codytuc213; 05-03-2007 at 11:43 AM.
codytuc213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #6

I dont understand this issue of water in the doors with aftermarket speakers. If your installer did it properly this should not be an issue! I have the Hertz Mille 3-way kit with 6 1/2s in my doors and my car has seen plenty of rain and no issues. The factory speaker enclosures have nothing to do with sealing the door!

As to the rear speaker question and using the stock components, if you are going to spend money on audio rip it out and get some decent components in there and forget about rear speakers! Go to any high end audio shop or, better yet, any car audio competition. You will NEVER see rear speakers in those cars. And, if anyone wants to complain about not being "surrounded by music" come for a drive in my Box and you will see why you do not need rear speakers.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote