Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #1

How about this 2002 Silver base Boxster? Your advice means a lot

Hi Guys,

This one is through a non-Porsche high end car dealership. It's a 2002 base silver with blue top and blue interior and has 36,400 miles. Manual transimission. It was a one owner car and Car Fax verified it (for what it's worth). The dealer is reputable because the local Porsche dealership services a lot of their cars for them. I called them and they are the ones I would have do the PPI as well. It looks really clean as well. It has heated seats, cd player, and 17" wheels. He had it at $24,900 and told me he was firm at $24,500.

I called the dealer that serviced it in NJ for the one owner and they pulled up the maintenance records and said there weren't any problems with it. It also had it's 30k service there. The dealer was Paul Miller in Parsippany, NJ.

Is the price fair for the condition of the car and the mileage? I know buying from a dealer means I pay more.

Thanks,
Paul

icedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #2

Hehe... I would have bought is already.
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:57 AM   #3

hehe, I'm slow on the take.

decent deal though conradtan?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:27 AM   #4

Do a ppi. If it checks out buy it. If it shows some minor issues, use that info to try to lower the price.
richmond058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #5

"I know buying from a dealer means I pay more." ....not always so. Like their resumes when applying for a job, people also seem to have an inflated value of their possessions.

Typically, a dealer is selling a commodity and simply seeks only a margin vs. an excape from the terror - or boredom - in the private seller's driveway. The only thing I suspect about an exotic dealer vs. Ma-n-Pa Ford is that he knows the value of emotion and status seeking and can smell the pheromones and spot your pupils getting dialiated. The hook is in!

Car looks OK from those teeny pics ...I suspect you'd find an S for similar, or not a lot more.

j i m
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #6

Its a little hard to tell form the small pics, but the car does look pretty clean and the fact that you were able to get your hands on the service records is another bonus. I would still go for a PPI. Price wise, assuming the only extra options on the car are those you mentioned, the price is maybe a grand or two above what I would expect to pay. Prices vary from state to state, I'm going off of what I've seen in Texas. Personally I would try to knock off at least a grand or get the guy to throw in some sort of a short warranty.
alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #7

Ice Dude, check my car car out here if your interested

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280110074216&rd=1&rd=1
stephendoherty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #8

this car Needs 18" wheels and tires, maybe aero kit, does it have HID litronics?

You can do better...lower miles, lower price.
Check autotrader,ebay,cars.com, porsche club of America classifieds, lots and lots of garage queens out there, I'd be hunting for one of those even if its far away. Certified Pre-Owned are the best deals
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #9

Thanks Perfectlap. But I have a budget

How do I stay within the budget of under $25k and still get a "gem" or is that impossible? If it is, then I have to balance the ones I have been showing you guys.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #10

For what it's worth, I picked up a 2001 Base with 32k miles with the sport package, tiptronic, heated seats and four brand new tires for $20,750 a month ago. It took me a few months and I had to travel to Wisconsin to get it, but I got the color combo I wanted along with most of the options.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #11

$25K? That's a nice sized budget for a 2nd hand Boxster/s.
Lots of Boxsters sitting on lots, I would neogtiate very aggresively. Don't feel obligated to pay 'market' as that various greatly with this car and depending on who is selling.

It's going to require some leg work but you can definitely pick up a 3.2 with under 40K miles with your budget.
This is a great time for a Boxster buyer. I'd look for the lowest mileage BoxsterS.
The difference in price between the 2.7 and 3.2 just isn't big enough to pass up on the extra power which cost way way more to do after the fact.

You can add replica 18" Carrera wheels for $800 and nice rubber for the same. I might factor in that mod into the budget if the car has everything you want but the wheels.
THe HID lights are expensive if they aren't on the car already.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #12

Thanks again Perfectlap. Keep an eye out for me?

I live in PA, work in Piscataway, NJ but no cars come up, especially an S within 150 miles of me on Cars.com, Autotrader, etc for under $25k. Well, a couple that have ridiculous amounts of mileage on them which I won't buy. Anyway, PM me if you come across any that fit the mold? I would appreciate it. Especially since you are in my neck of the woods.

Thanks again.

Paul
Old 04-30-2007, 12:02 PM   #13

if you are in PA maybe you're near the Manheim Porsche Auctions? They are usually barebones lease returns but they are drastically reduced. From what I understand there are so many Boxsters in the market that all of the Porsche dealers can't absorb them all so they send them to the Manheim auctions for used car lots. Not just Boxsters, all Porsche leases returns.
You'd have to locate a car broker or someone with a dealer auction license.
Why go retail when you can go wholesale?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #14

If I had $25k to spend ...

I'd expect a well maintained great conditioned well optioned 2001 S.

It might take me a while to find the motivated seller. I might have to wait till the weather was cold and there were no other buyers. But I'd have the discipline to wait till the time and price was right and I could get what I really wanted because I'm going to keep the car a long while.

And I wouldn't be discouraged about no cars being available locally. I'd haunt www.craigslist.org because low priced cars tend to be there (I bought my second Boxster from an ad there).

Boxsters will run forever if properly maintained. Don't worry about 30 vs 40k or 2000 versus 2002. Look for the options you want and the condition and maintenance history. And the PPI..

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/buyingorsellinga1997-2004boxster
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #15

well a well driven and maintained Boxster can indeed be very reliable.
I've only had one repair over $300 on my 2000S. Which is kind of surreal for a 'rare" car.
But when dealing with a high mileage (over 50K miles) car, The question is how did the previous owner drive the thing? did the previous owner make it a practice wait until the oil temp was up before revving it over 3K? Proper shifting?
and of course maintenance records.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedude
I live in PA, work in Piscataway, NJ but no cars come up, especially an S within 150 miles of me on Cars.com, Autotrader, etc for under $25k. Well, a couple that have ridiculous amounts of mileage on them which I won't buy. Anyway, PM me if you come across any that fit the mold? I would appreciate it. Especially since you are in my neck of the woods.

Thanks again.

Paul
Jeez man, you should have come to the Porsche Swap Meet in Hershey this weekend. There were at least a scrillion Boxsters there. One that I noticed in particular was Arena Red. The paint on that car was incredibly nice.

I saw a Guards Red Box last night on a dealer's lot on Rt 309N, just south of 113 in Souderton PA. It may have been the Toyota dealer. I didn't stop to take a look at it, but it might be worth checking out. They had it right in front, clearly visible from Rt 309.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #17

"Houston_C4S" (Mark, a forum member) has a 2001 Silver boxster with full red leather interior in pristine condition and incredibly low miles (16k) for sale for well under $25k.

You can PM him if you like. I will vouch for the car as I have ridden in it and driven it. It is one fine example of a garage queen and not expensive!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 05-01-2007 at 08:01 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote