Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 03:32 PM   #1

Is it me or are they just snobs?

I don't know if anyone else noticed the blue nose factor of people driving 911. I would think that there should be a bond, camaraderie between the cars of the same marque. Yet I find this not to be true. I get the distinct feeling that we are treated like the bastard brother of the 911. Never a wave or an acknowledgement nothing, they all seem so smug with an attitude.
I do remember talking to a chiropractor not that overly macho and his comment to me when he bought his 911 was " Not everyone can handle the speed of the car, only people with quick reflexes". Have you ever gone this fast before? Like I was suppose to crumble. My response to this fellow was only twice at takeoffs and landing. That shut him up.
I think he is the majority of 911 drivers being brutally honest.

Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
True long term Porsche owners I found not to be so stuck on themselves.

Unfortunately, the C-class Mercedes owners and Boxster owners fall into a stigma of people that can barely afford the emblem on the hood.

Of course I know this is not the case for most people. The attitudes at the dealerships tend to deem the entry level cars in their line up as throw away cars, not worthy of the reputation and status of the rest of the line.

Boxster people wave at other Boxster owners sometimes. Once in a blue moon I will receive a wave from a 911 owner.

One day I may own a 911 Cabriolet, but I will never forget where I came from.
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:18 PM   #3

I have noticed this, but typically only from the 996 (especially the low end C2 ect ) drivers. The 993 and previous guys almost always wave. I guess this is for pretty obvious reasons. 1) the guy recently bought an older 911 or 2) he has had if for a long time. In either case, they are probably the kind of driver that would wave whether passing a 914 or GT or even a lowly $54,000 Boxster.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:40 PM   #4

I did have a 911, albeit an older one, an '81 911SC Targa, and quite frankly I feel as though I upgraded quite a ways by going to my '99 Boxster.
There is no doubt that the "feel" of the car is quite different. The 911 was like a Leica camera; it felt like it was carved out of a single block of steel. However, the crappy to non-existent AC, heavy steering, heavy shifting (short shift kit), and heavy clutch got to be wearing after a few years. I bought the 911 in '96 and sold it a couple of months ago in order to buy a Boxster.
Would I like to have a 996? Sure, and maybe a few years down the road I will, but I like the Boxster very much.
I can't say I have had the "ignore the Boxster" experience from 911s I have met on the road. They have usually waved or flashed.
I think part of it has to do with Porsche's refusal to race the Boxster, or even to paint it as a high-performance sports car. Many 911 folks seem to think they are the second coming of Bob Wollek or something and if it ain't racy, it ain't diddly.
Ronzi
'99 Boxster
Speed Yellow/Black
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:42 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Through it all, folks, just remember:

Smile, settle your fingers into the wheel, downshift, and enjoy the thrill of YOUR VERY OWN BOXSTER. No matter what the number designation, the experience is 100% yours, and let's face it...

...a porsche is always a porsche.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:21 AM   #6

Re: Is it me or are they just snobs?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilot2519j
I do remember talking to a chiropractor not that overly macho and his comment to me when he bought his 911 was " Not everyone can handle the speed of the car, only people with quick reflexes".
Why not ask your chiropractor friend if since he is so smart, why didn't he become a REAL doctor?
Gerry Leacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #7

Re: Re: Is it me or are they just snobs?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerry Leacock
Why not ask your chiropractor friend if since he is so smart, why didn't he become a REAL doctor?
Frankly since I was laughing I did not think of your great response.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:47 PM   #8

This is just a guess:

A greater % of the people who bought Porsches in the past were enthusiasts. Now a greater % are status seekers. We (the enthusiasts) look around at other cars because we are hoping to see something awesome or a fellow enthusiast and thus we notice the other drivers and since we're friendly people we wave. The status seekers, they just watch the traffic.

Additionally there are a lot more Porsches on the road today then there was "back in the day". If you're in the right part of town they can be almost common. As you get used to seeing a car your mind fails to pick it out of a crowd, it just blends in with the rest. Think about when you first see a new model car on the road of just about any car. Take the current 3 series. When they came out in '99 I remember thinking oh how cool, I should go test drive that! Now don't they just blend in with everything else. To most people we just blend in because it's just another car to them. They don't perceive special vehicles the same way we do.

Personally I have had 911 owners of 930 body to 996 body wave to me. I've also had them "snob" me. I've also had fellow Boxster owners "snob" me. In all reality I don't think they intend to snob you or me, they snob everyone because that's what kind of people they are. They're cattle on the road and they just get in our way. Let them seek their status while we enjoy our cars.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:53 AM   #9

^^^Well put, aesir!

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Old 06-03-2004, 06:42 AM   #10
Forum Contributor

True when it comes to bringing the car in for service.
I had a Lexus IS300 for a number of years when ever i brought it in for service (Ft Myers Lexus) I was treated like a king. The service tech would come out to the drive to greet me & always had my loner lexus gassed and ready. I was never at the dealer for more than 15 minutes.
I have had 2 occasions to bring my boxster in for service (Shelton Porshe Naples) have spent at least 3 hours in the dealership, the work was never done right and when i needed a loaner they gave me a 2 year old Ford Taurus for a week. If your not bringing in your Astin Martin or your Cayenne Turbo you are definatly small potatoes.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:01 AM   #11

I guess that also depends on where you are...here in upstate new york, you don't see too many 360 modena's or 911 turbos...hence, even with a "lowly boxster," you get much better treatment. I was even treated like a king at the acura dealership with my old integra, and that isn't exactly a luxury sports car. But for you, Diablo, being in southwestern Florida, I bet there's a whole lot of 6 figure cars running around, and that takes the attention away from you.

Just my $0.02

Old 06-03-2004, 05:50 PM   #12

Yes true tue^, location location location. In my small rural IL town there are only two other boxsters and 0 360 modenas vipers or 911 turbos. There is however a 03 nsx and a 2000 911 cabbie. That's about it. My boxster s get's quite a bit of attention here, where as compared to living in south beach It would get as many looks and thumbs up as a ford tarus.

p.s. When my dad takes his E49 M5 into the dealership near Champaign they roll out the red carpet and kiss serious ass. I just sit back and laugh inside. They even kiss my ass just because I'm with him sometimes!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:42 AM   #13

I've had my Boxster for about three days now. I've been waved to by three other Porsche drivers, all of them in 911s.
F1CAR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:24 AM   #14

Here in North Scottsdale, I see more SL500s here than Civics. 350Zs ARE the Civics here. Every week I see a Ferrari, Aston, Lambo, you name it. Last night was a Murcielago. I was only driving 1.3 miles to the gym and back!

Yet still Porsche North Scottsdale has been nothing but nice to me everytime I pull up.

2005 Acura TL Nav
Old 06-04-2004, 04:56 PM   #15

I've only been snobbed by M3's thus far. However, I don't get any love from other Boxster enthusiast...perhaps I should initate a wave...
Old 06-04-2004, 07:07 PM   #16

If that is really your picture... I am shocked, shocked you don't get waves!

My car is in the shop, it felt real wierd not to be able to wave at the Carrera I passed on the Interstate.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by Ad Sach
If that is really your picture... I am shocked, shocked you don't get waves!
I agree with that!

2005 Acura TL Nav
Old 06-05-2004, 04:10 PM   #18

Ad,
The reason they don't wave is because they are off the road! Le Jolie tres rules.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #19

Ha ha. Very true. I don't see hardly any woman driving boxsters. Let alone woman that look like Jolie.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 03:29 AM   #20

Sorry guys - I read the profile. Men are not on the list.

and jolie... try flashing the headlights- it's the Porsche way to say hello.

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote