View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 02:47 PM   #8
aesir

This is just a guess:

A greater % of the people who bought Porsches in the past were enthusiasts. Now a greater % are status seekers. We (the enthusiasts) look around at other cars because we are hoping to see something awesome or a fellow enthusiast and thus we notice the other drivers and since we're friendly people we wave. The status seekers, they just watch the traffic.

Additionally there are a lot more Porsches on the road today then there was "back in the day". If you're in the right part of town they can be almost common. As you get used to seeing a car your mind fails to pick it out of a crowd, it just blends in with the rest. Think about when you first see a new model car on the road of just about any car. Take the current 3 series. When they came out in '99 I remember thinking oh how cool, I should go test drive that! Now don't they just blend in with everything else. To most people we just blend in because it's just another car to them. They don't perceive special vehicles the same way we do.

Personally I have had 911 owners of 930 body to 996 body wave to me. I've also had them "snob" me. I've also had fellow Boxster owners "snob" me. In all reality I don't think they intend to snob you or me, they snob everyone because that's what kind of people they are. They're cattle on the road and they just get in our way. Let them seek their status while we enjoy our cars.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote