Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #1

Honesty is the best policy

Quick story. Yesterday I had a grinder from Mancino's Pizza and Grinders. I ordered a full sized hero for my wife and I. I was told over the phone the price would be $9 plus change.

When I got there it was busy. Cashier told me it was $5 and change. I thought nothing of it until I started chewing on my gyro hero that I underpaid. After lunch I went back and informed cashier that I underpaid and wanted to settle the bill. She was very pleased, thanked me for being "honest" and gave me a lifetime card of %10 percent off at that store!!

Since my family are huge Mancino fans, this is great. Just goes to show honesty is the best policy.

jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #2

Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts
Cinnimon Brown Interior
[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...terPix3001.jpgIMG]
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #3

That was very cool of you, and extremely cool of her in return!

It's kind of sad that people get so excited when someone does something like what you did... it's too rare now adays. It shouldn't be a -surprise- when someone acts like a decent human being.

Good for you!
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #4

It's the best policy for your own sake, and no one else's. The biggest reward from doing the right thing is knowing for yourself that you did it. Over the long run that will make you live a much calmer and fuller life. And that is far more valuable than the few $ here and there that you would "lose" by not following it. Viewed from this angle, it's actually quite selfish of you to have done that.
Z.

Last edited by z12358; 04-26-2007 at 12:28 PM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #5

It doesn't always pay to be honest:

One time I was at a local watering hole with several friends and my wife. My wife gave me what I thought was a $20.00 and I went up to the bar and got us drinks. When the waitress gave me my change, I went to tip her and realized she had given me change for $100.00. I told her I thought it was a mistake and she went to the register to check, pretended to realize she was wrong, took back $80.00, and thanked me for my honesty.

When I got back to my wife I told her what happened and she told me that she indeed had given me a $100.00 bill. We both went back up to confront the waitress who pretended to be confused by the whole thing until my wife asked for a manager to break down the drawer and confirmed that what we were saying was true. At that point, she pretended to go back to the drawer, look again and said "oh, here is your $100.00. I must have accidentally put it in the $20.00 pile and someone had put another 20 on top of it so I didn't see it when I checked." Right.

That upset me for the rest of the night. What kind of person would screw over someone that was trying to help them out?

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS
It doesn't always pay to be honest:

One time I was at a local watering hole with several friends and my wife. My wife gave me what I thought was a $20.00 and I went up to the bar and got us drinks. When the waitress gave me my change, I went to tip her and realized she had given me change for $100.00. I told her I thought it was a mistake and she went to the register to check, pretended to realize she was wrong, took back $80.00, and thanked me for my honesty.

When I got back to my wife I told her what happened and she told me that she indeed had given me a $100.00 bill. We both went back up to confront the waitress who pretended to be confused by the whole thing until my wife asked for a manager to break down the drawer and confirmed that what we were saying was true. At that point, she pretended to go back to the drawer, look again and said "oh, here is your $100.00. I must have accidentally put it in the $20.00 pile and someone had put another 20 on top of it so I didn't see it when I checked." Right.

That upset me for the rest of the night. What kind of person would screw over someone that was trying to help them out?

Fortunately for you this has nothing to do with honesty, only a disreputable cashier. A quick conversation with her supervisor may have straighted it out.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
man that is awesome.
definitely not a lot of people like you around.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
It's the best policy for your own sake, and no one else's. The biggest reward from doing the right thing is knowing for yourself that you did it. Over the long run that will make you live a much calmer and fuller life. And that is far more valuable than the few $ here and there that you would "lose" by not following it. Viewed from this angle, it's actually quite selfish of you to have done that.
Z.

Well of course I did it for me and because it was the right thing, otherwise I wouldnt have done it. I also did it so I could tell my children and be a proper example. What I didnt mention are the 3 dozen other times I 've done the same thing because it was right and didnt post but still felt good about it. If I would have done it for money then I wouldnt have gone back to tell them they lost money. So from that viewpoint it would have been innapropriate to have done so, but I didnt. But since I did do it and they gave me an incentive for doing it, I posted the theme of this thread quote:"Honesty is the best policy."
Old 04-27-2007, 06:25 AM   #9

Hi,

Good Stuff!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 AM   #10

I bought an el cheapo commutter bike at Target one day for $100. I was with my friend and the cashier rang up her items first and I put them into bags. The cashier was in her own world and totally missed the fact that I had a bike!
I waited to see how long before she caught on but she never did she starts checking out the others on line! I stood there for a second and thought "how many people would just walk right out the door with this bike?"
Of course I told the teen age looking girl about her oversight and she charged me the $100.
The next day I used my purchase to go to work. When I came back that evening....yep stolen. The cut padlock chain was all that was left.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #11

I sent two pairs of Clark's Deser Trek shoes back to the distributor in NY for replacement and recieved four pairs of shoes back, two right away and two more identical pairs a couple of weeks later. It was obvious they messed up and processed my request twice.

I kept both pairs a couple of weeks and I could not get it out of my head that God has blessed me so much that I could easily buy two more pairs of shoes if I wanted them and I should call and tell them what happened and send them back.

When I called, the CSR told me that the cost of shipping them back and restocking them and explaining it all would be more work than it was worth and I'd enjoy the shoes for the next few years and to keep them!

So, different story, same result. Honesty is always the best policy!

BTW, Desert Treks are possibly the most comfortable casual shoe I have ever put on my feet and I highly recommend them (no, I don't work for Clarks!)

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote