Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2007, 06:48 AM   #1

Replacing 02 Sensors today!

Starting with 6 CELs and we will see where I end up
So far:

Old 02 sensors out - 10mins.
Tools - Sparkplug wrench, PB and a O2 Socket, Jack and Jack stands (wheels still on the car)
Going to go pick up the new universal sensors from napa. (had to order them)

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:54 AM   #2

Take pictures of any mods you have to do to the replacement O2 sensors... along with their part numbers and such. Probably a good idea to put it in the DIY section for future reference.

kthxbye!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:06 AM   #3

I just did this, using the USOS-4000 sensors. It was a piece of cake.

IIRC you need a 22mm open-end wrench (or you can use an O2 sensor tool, but there is no need to) to remove the O2 sensors. It's easiest to jack up the entire rear of the car and place it on jackstands.

Since my replacements were universals, I had to use butt-type crimp terminals (included with the sensors) to make the electrical connections. Be sure to use a high-quality crimper for this job. I also used some silicone and heat shrink tubing over the joints just to add another layer of protection from the elements.

I did two sensors in less than half an hour. No more code P1119!
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #4

you guys need to take some pics...or better yet shoot video and sell it.
I'd buy one in a heart beat (before it got pirated to YouTube).
THe stealership days would be numbered if they could SEE how straightforward some of this maintenance is.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #5

If you poke your head under the car you can see the O2 sensors, all four of 'em. You can even see where they're plugged in! Honestly, if a person isn't mechanically inclined enough to be able to get under the car and identify the O2 sensors and formulate what tools they would need to replace them - I don't want them attempting it.

There are some procedures on this car which really do require specific pictures and instructions before they make sense - but this isn't one of them.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #6

Ok, well all four sensors are back in. Sorry I did't take pics or video.. The girlie has the good digital camera with her. The total project I would say is a about an hour and a half doing it on your back. The part that took the longest was building the new sensors with the OEM clips. Took me about 30 minutes. I brought them inside and put them on my table. I am going to do my plugs too while the car is on stands. As for the sensors. There was nothing to mod or anything crazy. Straight foward. Just connect the ends together with the connectors Bosch gave me and heat wrap the wires, which was also included. As for my old sensors, 2 of them looked nice and clean and the other 2, passanger side, were coated in carbon, completely black.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote