Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #1

NEW BOXSTER Owner and need some advice - please help

Just purschased a 2000 boxster and really excited... took it out today for drive along the CA coast and was in pure bliss... BUT unfortunately I need to resolve a couple post purchase issues... can anyone advise on the following.

thanks for the support!!! This site is fantastic!

2000 Boxster/manual/40K miles

1. Clock/Oil level gauge display light is out... I can see the LED during the day and both clock and oil LEDs seem to be working fine, but at night the back light doesnt illuminate like the other 2 gauge lights (spedometer and odometer).

2. Cigarette lighter doesnt seem to be working.. I tried plugging in cell phone charger and nothing... ?

3. Cruise control doesnt work.. not like i need it.. but would like to get everything just right...

mech engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
2. Cigarette lighter doesnt seem to be working.. I tried plugging in cell phone charger and nothing... ?

Are you 100% the plug is in all the way?

3. Cruise control doesn't work.. not like i need it.. but would like to get everything just right...

Are you pressing in the button and then pressing the lever forward?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:16 AM   #3

Check the circuit breaker/fuse for both the CL and the CC.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #4

1. Check your fuses. I'm not sure if there are bulbs in the instrument cluster that can be replaced... if it's not the fuses and the illumination is not replaceable, you'd have to replace the cluster.

2. Push it in further. It's a little of an odd feel... the adapter for my GPS unit likes to back out and lose connection. If there's nothing still, use a small flat tipped screwdriver, and pop off the little trim panel that houses the three switches and the lighter socket. Check that it's connected. This is all, of course, after you check the fuses.

3. To activate the cruise control, push the button on the 'stalk'. The green indicator in the speedometer should illuminate. To set the speed, accelerate or decelerate to the desired speed, then push the stalk forward (away from you) and it should set. Enjoy. To cancel the setting, pull the stalk back to you, actuate the clutch, or hit the brakes lightly. There is no 'resume' feature that will get you back to speed, so you have to accelerate again, and push the stalk forward to set the speed.

Hope we have helped!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #5

With so many items, it sounds like a fuse issue as has been posted. If you do determine the cluster outage is a bulb, here's a good R&R site for DIY instructions:

Tom M's Instrument Cluster R&R
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
1. Check your fuses. I'm not sure if there are bulbs in the instrument cluster that can be replaced... if it's not the fuses and the illumination is not replaceable, you'd have to replace the cluster.

2. Push it in further. It's a little of an odd feel... the adapter for my GPS unit likes to back out and lose connection. If there's nothing still, use a small flat tipped screwdriver, and pop off the little trim panel that houses the three switches and the lighter socket. Check that it's connected. This is all, of course, after you check the fuses.

3. To activate the cruise control, push the button on the 'stalk'. The green indicator in the speedometer should illuminate. To set the speed, accelerate or decelerate to the desired speed, then push the stalk forward (away from you) and it should set. Enjoy. To cancel the setting, pull the stalk back to you, actuate the clutch, or hit the brakes lightly. There is no 'resume' feature that will get you back to speed, so you have to accelerate again, and push the stalk forward to set the speed.

Hope we have helped!
Hi,

Bulbs are replaceable. And, the Cruise Control operates like Fray said except that you can accelerate to Speed just by pushing the end button to turn CC ON and then push the Stalk forward and hold it - this will accelerate you up to Speed. Once the desired Speed is reached, release the Stalk to Set.

Also, there is a Resume function. If you release the CC by using the Clutch or the Brake, when you want to Resume, just pull the Stalk Back and the previously set Speed will resume. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Bulbs are replaceable. And, the Cruise Control operates like Fray said except that you can accelerate to Speed just by pushing the end button to turn CC ON and then push the Stalk forward and hold it - this will accelerate you up to Speed. Once the desired Speed is reached, release the Stalk to Set.

Also, there is a Resume function. If you release the CC by using the Clutch or the Brake, when you want to Resume, just pull the Stalk Back and the previously set Speed will resume. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Jim, that's good to know about the resume function! The last time I was on the freeway, I'd usually disengage the cruise by pulling the stalk back. If you disengage that way, pushing it forward only sets it for the speed you're at, unless you hold it forward, then it accelerates! Forgot to mention that it will do that if you hold it forward.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote