Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 07:48 AM   #1

Power Window Makes a "Click"/"Clunk" Noise at full raise/lower position.

Hello, I have a 2001 Boxster; my passenger-side window makes a loud “clunk” noise (like glass hitting metal very hard) every time I auto-raise or auto-lower it. It makes this noise exactly at the same time for each position; when it reaches the full up/down position. I have searched the forum here and have not found any posts with the same problem. Most people seem to have a “grinding” noise which seems to be their regulator. It almost seems like the window is over-extending in each direction; maybe hitting the stop too hard??? I have standardized the window; this did nothing. The Bentley Manual describes a procedure for position adjustment, but before I mess around with that I was wondering if anyone on here has a solution or similar problem?
Thx, Joe.

• OEM 18" Turbo-Twists
  • LED Tail/3rd Brake Lights
unavita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #2

The clunking is still most likely your regulator preparing to go out...

If the window needs adjustment it's bc the reglator is going out.

$125 for the part... not hard to install if youre good with a screw driver and Internet instructions.....

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

It's most likely not the window motor... it supposidly "rarely goes out."
Old 04-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #3

Hugh, you're learning fast and sharing faster!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #4

haha .. thanks, Randall! I hope the work on your home is going well...

my car is doing well... we still need to meet up sometime!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #5

Hugh, thanks for the response. So what I’m gathering is that the regulator is malfunctioning and while it’s malfunctioning is it over extending the window in each direction (up/down) which is causing the “clunk”? Is this normal/common for a car with 20k on it to be malfunctioning already?
  • OEM 18" Turbo-Twists
  • LED Tail/3rd Brake Lights
unavita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
you are correct, its the regulator.
i had a great pleasure of mine going out in the middle of the winter (this is my daily driver). i had a shop install it for me for $40, no way i was gonna try and do that in -15 in chicago on cold floor in the garage.
but if the other one goes bad ill do it if its warm out.

good luck, just change it before the window just get stuck in random position at inconvenient time
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #7

Because our cars are convertibles, the windows go up and down a LOT more than say, a carrera or cayman. This leads to the regulators wearing out faster.

Now I do not think that they should wear out as quickly as they do. Most window regulators last a long, long time... Porsche has produced yet another crappy part for our cars, and while I'm sure they've been improved over the years, it's a sad statement to make about a manufacturer.

I replaced my passenger side regulator because the front and back part of the window did not go up to the top at the same time... another sign it's worn out and needs to be replaced.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I had this problem on mine not too long AFTER I changed both regulators. There is actually some type of rubber bushing in there that wears out. Dealer changed it at no charge to me since the regulators had just been changed.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh D
The clunking is still most likely your regulator preparing to go out...

If the window needs adjustment it's bc the reglator is going out.

$125 for the part... not hard to install if youre good with a screw driver and Internet instructions.....

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

It's most likely not the window motor... it supposidly "rarely goes out."
Yesterday my window started makeing a grinding noise at about half mast on up and down. To me it sounded like the glass was crunching. The window has no sign of cracking or anything, but I can only see what above the door trim. Last night I tried rolling the window down and it sounded like the window motor was running, but the window stayed in place. So either the window broke at the bottom or came off the track. Thanks for the link on how to install a driver window. I will be investiaging what's happening this weekend. hopefully it's a simple fix.

Another concern I notice was as of recent (2 weeks or so) my driver window seems to be too high up when closing the door. The soft top was relpaced about 5 months ago, not sure if that has anything to do with it. But I close the door and it will either not close completely if I close the door lightly, or slips under the rubber trim if I close the door firmly and then rolls up the extra few to make a complete seal. Any thoughts? I breifly caught something said about window's being too high. Just curious if it would be a regulator issue.
nightscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #10

I have a similar problem.

When my drivers side window is completely down it makes a ticking noise or slight rattle. What's the problem here? Normally it wouldn't bother me but, the fact that my ear is so close to it, it drives me up the wall. I've got a temporary fix of just increasing the volume on the stereo but, I'd like to get it fixed.

Also my drivers side window goes completely down, you can't see the window at all. Passenger side has about an inch that's visible when fully down. Is this normal?
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #11

Yeah, that ticking noise and such is an indication that regulator may be going out BUT you can always pull door panel out and lubricate all the moving parts with silicone spray or grease. I've lubricated the regulators on a few German cars like that but I have also replaced the regulators myself. I think the porsche part cost closer to $200...I'd like to know where it can be purchased for $125.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedude
Yeah, that ticking noise and such is an indication that regulator may be going out BUT you can always pull door panel out and lubricate all the moving parts with silicone spray or grease. I've lubricated the regulators on a few German cars like that but I have also replaced the regulators myself. I think the porsche part cost closer to $200...I'd like to know where it can be purchased for $125.
I have the same question. Just purchased the passenger side regulator (PN 996-542-076-04 Window Lift Mec) and with my PCA discount the total was $200.55 (after tax.)

Where did you get the part for $125.00? I'm sure my driver's side will go out eventually so it would be nice to know for the future.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #13

Call Sunset Imports in Oregon. 15% over hard cost. I bought my regulator from them and it was half the price of my local stealership.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #14

Window Noise at top/bottom only

I see that this post was several years ago, but wanted to post for future reference. I had the same problem of the window making a loud rat-tat-tat at full up or full down; with a new regulator. As I suspected, it was the motor gear slipping in the regulator gear (jumping teeth). Gears had grease on them from the previously failed regulator. Cleaned with alcohol. Even applied some spray adhesive for good measure. Works fine now. Lesson learned; clean the gears thoroughly when replacing regulator!
MisterSRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #15

I have a similar issue with my bmw. I just had the driver side window replaced, and it only makes the clunky noise when the door is completely closed. When its open, it does not make the noise?

shawn310 is offline   Reply With Quote