Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 AM   #1

Clear bra pics

Can anyone with the Clear bra on the boxster show some pics with the clear bra? I would really like to see some pics before purchasing.

I heard from someone that the clear bra gives your tan lines. how to deal with that? a new paint job?

Thanks.

n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:49 AM   #2

Search for pics of my car (bought it in May last year). My Box has the clear bra on all of them. Full hood, full front fenders, bumper, mirrors, front pillars. People can't see it even from two feet away, unless I point the two 3" edges at the top of the hood under the windshield (The rolls are not wide enough to cover that last part of the hood in one piece).

Theoretically, the film is not supposed to block the sun (UV) so the covered panels should fade with the uncovered ones. Differences may eventually show from washing the uncovered panels, and from them being exposed to the elements but those aren't nearly as bad as the sun. The best way to avoid visible differences after a while is to cover whole panels -- which is also good for making the film invisible.

Z.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:24 AM   #3

Last year I looked at a maroon '97 Boxster that had the 3M protective coating, the so-called clear bra -- and it looked so bad that it wasn't even funny. Seems like that stuff doesn't last very long in the sun.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I've got the clear bra on my car. On the hood, bumper, front fenders, and the backs of all 4 wheel wells.

Check out my signature, can't see it, can you?

No tan lines. Awesome protection from rocks and debris. My Box came with it, but if it didn't I'd have bought the bra.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #5

here they are...
My triple-black 06 Boxster S
Fall Nirvana
Z.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
fab

Just had my car done.
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #7

I sure can't see it in this pic, but it's there.

It's really not visible except up close. It's been installed for about two years.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #8

Thanks!

Thanks for posting the pics. I went to talk to an installer yesterday and mostly likely will get it done. However, What do you guys and gal suggest to put on?
I was think of putting it on the hood, front bumper, mirror, door sill and head lights.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
what happens when you want to take it off? all the paint will be faded around the decals(clear bra).
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
How much does this clear bra stuff cost?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #11

I would put it on a new car, but I bought mine used and don't think it looks good after the fact.

My nose is in good shape (29k) for the mileage.

Good luck and hope you like it.

JMW
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #12

djomlas-I was told that the bra needs to be professional taken off to minimize damaging the paint.

blinkwatt- I got a quote for $700.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 PM   #13

Here's pictures of the clear bra on my seal grey '05:

I'm very happy with it. I do wish I got the more expensive kind of installation where the bra wraps around the edges of the hood and what not though.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:48 AM   #14

eslai - Thanks for the pic. I have been wanting to see the clear bra on my color and you just made my day! Kudos to you. However, i do have a question. What do you mean wrap around the hood edges? Are you talking about having the clear bra wrapped to the underside? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4ally2
eslai - Thanks for the pic. I have been wanting to see the clear bra on my color and you just made my day! Kudos to you. However, i do have a question. What do you mean wrap around the hood edges? Are you talking about having the clear bra wrapped to the underside? Thanks!
n4ally2, to minimize how visible the film is, you want to cover whole panels (edge to edge) and not leave any film edges across panels. Hence, I recommend covering the bumper, headlights, WHOLE hood, and WHOLE front fenders (instead of partial hood and fenders which will leave a long edge line across the panels that will accumulate wax and dirt, thus become more visible with time). It will cost a few $100 more but IMO it's well worth it.

eslai, I don't think you can wrap the film AROUND the panels. On mine, it stops right at the end of each panel. One would have to dismantle the whole car to be able to wrap all around each panel, and that would be going a tad to far, I think.

dj, there are instructions on removing the film (with some hairdryer and patience) and professionals do it regularly without any problems to the paint. That's why it's important that the film is applied to fully cured paint so that the adhesive doesn't react with it.

Btw, I'm very happy with it so far.

Hope this helps.

Z.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
eslai, I don't think you can wrap the film AROUND the panels.
Yes, you can. It requires more work and a very skilled installer because they're working with full sheets of film, not pre-cut kits.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
Yes, you can. It requires more work and a very skilled installer because they're working with full sheets of film, not pre-cut kits.
Actually. now that you say this. If I try to remember correctly, my hood and fenders do seem to have their edges wrapped by the film, but not by much, as it's impossible to wrap too far behind without removing the fenders. (Easy to lift the hood, and open the doors for most edges.) The bumper, though, is only covered to the edges, and you can (barely) see where the film ends around the holes in the bumper. I don't think even cutting on the spot can wrap around all of the bumper's holes -- unless we're talking multiple bits and pieces (edges galore) instead of a single (pre-cut) sheet per panel. It's the complex curves of the bumper that make it a problem, not the pre-cutting.

On pre-cut or not... I did some research before I did mine. There were a lot of forum horror stories (can't find the links but it was a tinting professionals forum) about installations that are cut on the spot. Two main complaints:
1. knife cut-marks to the clearcoat. (ouch!)
2. patches of film (unneccesary edges) instead of a single sheet per panel.
Saw some literally butchered cars. So I decided that it's better to leave the cutting to the computer and not even allow for the possibility of a knife touching the paint. The guy that did mine gets exclusively outsourced by the local Ferrari and Lambo dealers and has done plenty of Porsches, too -- oftentimes full car (all panels) covers. It's actually MUCH harder to line up a large complex pre-cut sheet (e.g. bumper) than improvise on the spot with a knife. It took him three attempts (tossed out two pre-cut sheets) and 6 hours to only do my bumper.

Z.