Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 05:26 AM   #1

Why won't my top close??

I can't figure out why my top will not close, please help.

I have the parking brake engaged, but maybe it's not triggering something electrically. When the car is running and the hand brake is engaged, is there an idiot light on for the parking brake?

Also, the manual mentions something about "all three turn-locks of the luggage pocket must be engaged and correctly locked". Not sure if I understand this, but I've never had a problem before.

Please help me, it's nice outside and I want to take it out, but I don't want to leave it parked with the top down! Thanks

Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #2

there should be a red circle light for the parking brake that turns on, so it sounds like it's not activating... I mean, the break probably works but the car doesnt know it's on

SO.... hold the button in.... and move it up and down a lot, eventually it will kick in I bet... but you'll need to have it fixed, which is something easy but I can't help you with that... maybe someone else here knows more about the e-brake sensor fix (something common)
Old 04-21-2007, 07:01 AM   #3

I had the same problem a few month ago, when you pull up on the E brake you should see the parking brake light come on, if not, like mine, I jiggled the lever side to side and then the light came on and I was able to operate the top again, haven't had any issues since then.
johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:13 AM   #4

Thanks... I've tried everything with the e-brake and can't get the light to come on... frustrating.
Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #5

You might want to physically see if something is keeping the micro switch from opening, its easy to get to, its right behind the E brake, you can get access by popping off the cover, they are held in place my clips, just be careful that you dont break off the plastic tabs, you might want to try using some electronic type compress air cleaner.

johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote