Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #1

How necessary is it

...to use an oil filter from Porsche?? Is there really that much of a difference between oil filters? I've got the MB1 0w40 already.

pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #2

Considering its the only element that actually "filters" the oil, I would recommend using a quality brand. I believe the "factory" filters are made by Mahle.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
bmussatti

I believe quality does not cost more. That said, a Porsche oil filter can be bought for $12.04 and an air filter for $20.93. So how much are you going to save? Even if you saved 50% more...are you going to buy another mocha frappa no-whip decaf latte at Starbucks with your "savings"?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #4

This isn't so much a matter a starbucks coffee or a mcdonalds! I bought the car, I realize there are increased costs assosiated with owning it. The reason I ask the question is b/c I just found out I have alot of free time on Wednesday and would like to change my oil. HOWEVER the closest porsche dealership is about an hour away in Orlando. Therefore, I asked the question if a different brand...say purolator would be ok.

Last edited by pompous; 04-16-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Don't be cheap,just use your head on where you buy your parts from.

www.************************************************************

They can outprice Sunset on ALOT of maintainence parts.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #6

You can make your own....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
You can make your own....
I heard of hippies here in Long Beach using Toilet Paper in the 60's and 70's as an oil filter... Father remembers those days, he claims they worked but i would assume they would rip appart but toiletpaper wasnt as biodegradable as it is now.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #8

The Porsche OEM filter element is not expensive, and equivalents are probably not available locally anyway. Pony up the $12something and live at peace knowing your Porsche has a good filter in it.

I should add, order one, or order a couple so you have one for your next change. No need to drive beaucoup miles to the dealer to get one!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:45 PM   #9

Hi,

Mahle and Wix make a compatible filter - both quality brands (Mahle makes the Porsche Filter). Wix makes the filters for NAPA, so I bet they'd have it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Mahle and Wix make a compatible filter - both quality brands (Mahle makes the Porsche Filter). Wix makes the filters for NAPA, so I bet they'd have it...

Perfect!!! That is exactly what i'm looking for. Just called and they got it in stock! Now I can get this done tomorrow. Thankyou!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:55 AM   #11
bmussatti

Pompous, make sure you get a new Crush Washer and Rubber Sealing Gasket with that NAPA filter.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #12

Hi,

While I agree with Bmus, you can usually get 2 cycles out of the Crush Washer by inverting it (have done it several times with my Esprit - Oil Change interval of 3k mi., never had an issue). The same is true of the Cannister 'O' Ring.

I don't actually endorse this practice, but in a pinch...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #13

Mahle is out. Hengst is in. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9454&hl=unapproved

I have Wix in the car now.

All 3 come with the O-ring. None come with the drain plug washer.

I have reused the O-ring and washer several times, on my car. Also, I have not use a torque wrench on my car for an oil change in years.

My 1997 guinea pig still runs....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #14

I went ahead w/the oil change this evening. I took MNboxster's advice and went to NAPA to get the wix filter. I did change the o ring, but didn't really care so much about a drain plug crush washer either. I took out the plug and put it back in as tight as I have done any other car. I'll watch it to see if it starts leaking and go from there if it is. I was just glad to not have to order an oil filter and be able to change the oil myself w/some free time I had.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Mahle is out. Hengst is in. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9454&hl=unapproved

I have Wix in the car now.

All 3 come with the O-ring. None come with the drain plug washer.

I have reused the O-ring and washer several times, on my car. Also, I have not use a torque wrench on my car for an oil change in years.

My 1997 guinea pig still runs....
Same here. The OEM porsche filters I've bought just come with the rubber o-ring and no crush washer. It is a mystery that some say the stock filter comes with a new crush washer because mine never have. My stock washer is on the 3rd oil change with no leaks.

Last edited by Adam; 04-18-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #16

You can buy your oil filters online if your dealer is so far, 1 hour away. Try ******************************************************************************************** or ************************************************************. I think I bought Mahle the last time but for some reason, I had to cut off the edges of the soft cardboard/paper cover at the entrance of the inner hole to make it fit....it was weird...did anybody have that problem? I didn't want to force fit and break anything but the filter looks fine otherwise. I use a torque wrench but I don't think it's a big deal if you don't have one...just use your discretion.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #17

Thanks for those sites. I'm always looking for more options for parts. Just ordered plugs from pap-parts.com It seems like a pretty good place and yes, I stuck w/stock plugs lol