Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to [z0ne] Send a message via MSN to [z0ne]
Daily Driver

Hi all,

As some of you might know, thanks to my WTB thread, I'm in the market for a 986. The thing is, I'd be using it as a daily driver. I would be sitting in mild traffic, driving back and forth to the store, friend's houses, spirited driving, et cetera. My question to you guys is do you drive your 986 all the time? How is it as a daily? Also, since I live in NJ, it snows. That means that I'd have to invest in winter tires and a set of winter rims to mount them on. Have any of you had experience with the car in the snow? A friend of mine's father has a Carrera 4S and he drives it in the snow. I realize his 996 is AWD, though...

Thanks in advance,
Jake

[z0ne] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #2

I drive mine year round, but I do have another car for snow and for times that I need to carry more than one passenger. I think that with a set of snow tires, a Boxster would make a good daily driver except in very deep snow.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #3

My Box is my daily driver... but I live in an area of the country in which I can easily drive the same car year round... even on the same tires!

It makes a good commuter car.. if you're not heavy on the gas, it can get good gas mileage. (I drove from Austin, TX to Phoenix, AZ, and averaged 31mpg)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #4

I drive mine all the time during the summer, except when I go to the farmers market because you have to park in a gravel parking lot which makes me nervous :/

I would never drive it in the snow though... salt is way too detrimental, even if you are religious about getting it washed. Just buy a cheap winter beater for about the same as it would cost you for winter tires/wheels.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i drive mine daily, and on the same summer tires even during the winter time.
during winter roads are celan, only when its a blizzard you are stuck driving ON THE ACTUAL snow, other than that its fine, snow is moved off the road and you are fine with any car at that point.
and you dont really need a hardtop at all, but if you have one its a plus couse it keeps the cabin warmer and noise down, and you get a read heated window)
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #6

I drive mine rarely. I had it in the snow once. Not a good time. Sorry I have no good input for this one.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #7

Just bought mine three weeks ago. Getting about 25 mpg. Commute (one way) is about 55 miles and I enjoy every minute of it. No problems yet. Get one. You won't regret it.
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #8

Boxsters dont make bad daily cars as long as you can live with the compromise of only having one extra seat and not alot of cargo room. When driven nicely, they certainly get good mileage.

As to the winter question, I'd do it if you had to, but I certainly prefer not to. Salt is definitly not your friend, and no matter how religious you are about washing it frequently, it will still take its toll on things like brake rotors, suspension components, any steel fasteners, exhaust components, etc.

On the flip side, as 986 girl will tell you about her experience this past winter, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to pick up a winter beater for the cost of winter rims/snows and not have to put money into it. If you can afford roughly $5k (in my opinion) you can have a reliable, safe, second car to drive when its yucky out or to go pick up a new air compressor in.

If you do choose to drive the Porsche in the snow, getting snows for it is absolutely a requirement. Contrary to what DJ pointed out, the issue isnt driving on actual snow (which you certainly will have to do at some point, and winter tires are a fantastic advantage here) but rather driving on roads that may be wet and below the freezing point. If you live in say, VA, and your car may see snow a handful of times during the winter, you could get by with running Z rated tires all year and just be SUPER careful on those few days. An all season tire will provide plenty of winter traction in that case as well. Now if you're somewhere where you actually get a real winter, real snow tires become a necessity. Z rated summer tires are worthless below 40 degrees, and offer no grip at all on frozen roads. Any of us who have gotten caught in an unexpected snowstorm on Z rated tires can attest to this. If its your daily, and you're running around in the winter on summer tires, all you need is one place where it hasnt been salted enough where you need to slow down or turn and thats game over.

The way I always explain this to those who dont get the importance of proper tires, is to compare the cost of snows vs the cost of your collision deductible. One stupid mishap that costs you a bumper would have paid for your snows (which would have lasted you probably 3 winters so really, divide that cost out some more). Obviously, the worst case is a totalled car and you in the hospital, or the graveyard.

Just my $.02....

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
you are very right, they are not good tires, but i just never got any.
before winter i will pick up a set of winters for cheap somewhere and put them before winter, so i will be set, no one really needs winter tires in the summer, so if you shop around you can get them faily cheap
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
fab

If your thinking driving in the SNOW, think of purchasing a HARDTOP. Could be cheaper puchasing during the summer.
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:26 AM   #11

hard top is definetely a good idea....

I bought mine with a hard top and intended on selling the hard top later, but after using it... it's just too nice.... especially those days that are very cold or very hot or rainy but you still want to take the boxster out (I dont use mine as a daily)

if youre getting a boxster as a daily, just get one as low miles as you can (considering it's not old and low miles)
Old 04-16-2007, 07:33 AM   #12

I use my car as a daily driver and have a set of "winter" tires and wheels that I just change off.

Having said that, you have to figure out what you would be comfortable with. Some people don't like to drive their car in rain, snow etc., others aren't so picky. Personally, I view it as a car -- not an investment. Salt, tiny rocks, whatever are going to mark up your car -- you will eventually get a scratch in the paint and a chip (or three) in your windshield. This can all happen on a summer drive under perfect conditions. This past winter (Utah), I had maybe 2-3 days when I didn't drive the car (either took the wife's or carpool'd with her). Of course, her car (Mini) didn't do THAT much better in the snow, but sometimes there really isn't anything you can do when you get a lot of snow. It doesn't help that people that have 4-wheel drive think that THAT entitles them to drive 60 mph+ on non-highway roads, but... that is a separate issue. If you go the "beater" route: one thing you should ask is how safe and reliable will the cheap "beater" be? You probably may need to spend a fair amount. So it goes.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #13

I live in NYC and use my Box S as a dailey driver....However, in heavy snow the Box will rest in the garage cuz of low profile tires.
I still have recurring nightmares with my old and gone 996 Cab being stuck on lower east side cuz of tiny slope & slush..I had to get help from a local bum to push my car up...

porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #14

I use mine (mostly) as a daily driver throughout the year except for heavy snow days. You can easily pick up some rims and snows for under $1000.00 off of Ebay. They make a tremendous difference.

I will note that I have stopped taking it to work immediately prior and following a snow storm. I simply don't want to deal with the mix of slush and sand being thrown onto the car during the storm - nor the sand getting kicked up onto it after. A few hood dings and I'm done with that!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #15

Smile Summer ties in the winter

I just bought my boxster and live in CA. I don't get snow in my area, but do get a lot of rain in the winter. I notice my tires are summer tires. Does it make sense to switch my summer tires in the winter for all season tires? What do you all suggest?
n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
Salt, tiny rocks, whatever are going to mark up your car -- you will eventually get a scratch in the paint and a chip (or three) in your windshield. This can all happen on a summer drive under perfect conditions.
Salt does not just mark up your car like a rock does. It physically eats away at the paint and/or metal, eventually can rot it through completely. It will hide up in all the trim pieces where car washes cannot clean.

Also, heat speeds up the chemical reactions that can lead to rust... so any places near your exhaust/muffler are rusting at an increased rate, regardles of how often you wash your car.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #17

n4ally2, on where we at, just get a all season tires..we don't need an special tires unless you are looking for a performance tires...

BTW..Welcome to the forum and post up a pix if you can
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #18

six months on snows tires (Pirelli Snowsport) and six months on summer tires
(debating between Goodyears and Michelins).
I mount the snows as close to thanksgiving as possible.

I'm contemplating buying a set of Carrera replicas for the snow tires, those wheels can be had for less than $900. A good deal. Snow tires cost about $800.
This saves the hassle and cost of mounting the tires onto the same wheels.
Just switch wheels in the garage with the impact gun and proper jack. 15 minutes.

On snow tires the Boxster does very well on the road. I throw a couple of dumbell plates in the rear trunk for some added stability. But its risky because the danger is from you crashing but other morons on summer tires crashing into you. Some jerk smashed into the back car and ruined my bike rack, of course he forgot to leave a note...

Without the snow tires you have no chance. All season tires in this part of the country are useless in snow. And the weather around here is very unpredictable.
I may be driving in the rain NYC where is a few degrees warmer than New Jersey, and I've had instances where the it went from rain to snow in less than half a mile and the car was absolutely undriveable. Like I was in a drift racing competition -- no amount of throttle and steering would get it to go straight, while the SUVs sailed past 50mph. I Had to dump it until the snowstorm had passed two days later.

hardtops are nice, well worth the $1500.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #19

Took the Box out this past Saturday..raining when i left for the evening then got a couple inches of snow...the Box was slipping all over the place. Have Pirellis factory tires on it...not a fun night and don't plan on doing that again...
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #20

I love how people fear the salt with the P-Car, but have no problems with the "other car" that gets subjected to the same crappy weather or worse and "that" car likely never gets the same care and maintenance as a Pcar would.

Porsche designed and tests their cars for year round use. They test in the artic circle and the sahara desert. Death valley. Tropical climates. The Alps. Porsches are fantastically tested and designed cars.

In the end, they are just a car. heck, I have seen parked on the streets of DC, 1960's vintage 911/912s. Sure they are rusty. Sure they aren't perfect. But they are 40+years old and still being driven. That is what a Porsche can be. Not many 1960s vettes, Ferraris etc on local city streets, but you will always find a few Porsches.

The Boxster is, in the end, just a car. Buy it. Drive it.

For your climate, the bigger limits will be depth of snow/rain. More than about 5-6" of snow and the Box will get stuck. Get a second set of rims with Snows. Consider sourcing a used hardtop and go for it!

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote