Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #1

2007 Boxster--Heater Core Leak!

Hello,

I just got my new 2007 Boxster. So I was doing some cleaning when I noticed a puddle of water at the bottom of my passenger footwell. Turns out I think its the heater core that's leaking. Anyone else experience this?

I'm taking it to my dealer on Monday.

ofcounsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #2

No Leak So Far

I've driven mine since delivery in Dec 06 and I haven't seen this yet. My issue is a sound of "tapping valves" when cold at startup.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:30 AM   #3

Doubtful that's a common thing. Take it to the dealer and let them resolve it.

Tre, valve tapping noise is pretty common in the flat sixes Porsche produces. My 01 does it a lot. It's like a clock behind me at idle. Just a quirk of the engine - not a problem.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
bmussatti

Ofcounsel, I have not seen this as an issue for the 987. I also do not see a TSB on this. I am sure your dealership will fix.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:12 AM   #5

Hi,

Why do you think it's the Heater Core? Is it Coolant (Anti-Freeze) that's you're talking about? Sweet Smell and very slippery on the Carpet? The Heater Core has probably not failed - you most likely have a blocked Drain for the AC Condensate. If it does turn out to be the Core, have the Dealer replace the Carpet as well as you'll never get the Coolant out of it and the under-padding. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #6

[QUOTE... valve tapping noise is pretty common in the flat sixes Porsche produces. My 01 does it a lot. It's like a clock behind me at idle. Just a quirk of the engine - not a problem.QUOTE]

I hope you are right. My '07 base has a slight ticking at idle, when cold. It seems to go away when the engine is warm and run above idle. The dealer says it is normal for this engine. I choose to believe him for now. We'll see what develops, if anything.

Ken
Ken Corsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #7

I'm sure I'm right. My 986 does it. My buddy's former '99 996 did it... heck, my 1969 911 has some valve tick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Corsun
I hope you are right. My '07 base has a slight ticking at idle, when cold. It seems to go away when the engine is warm and run above idle. The dealer says it is normal for this engine. I choose to believe him for now. We'll see what develops, if anything.

Ken

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Corsun
[QUOTE... valve tapping noise is pretty common in the flat sixes Porsche produces. My 01 does it a lot. It's like a clock behind me at idle. Just a quirk of the engine - not a problem.QUOTE]

Ken

Your dealer is right. Our engines tick slightly and it's nothing to be alarmed about.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Your dealer is right. Our engines tick slightly and it's nothing to be alarmed about.
I haven't noticed any ticking. Perhaps my ears are not sensitive enough. I'll pay more attention next time I start it.
Z.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Why do you think it's the Heater Core? Is it Coolant (Anti-Freeze) that's you're talking about? Sweet Smell and very slippery on the Carpet? The Heater Core has probably not failed - you most likely have a blocked Drain for the AC Condensate. If it does turn out to be the Core, have the Dealer replace the Carpet as well as you'll never get the Coolant out of it and the under-padding. Good Luck!...

My thought it was from the heater core because its coming from just behind the center console area on the passenger side where the heater core should be, and it only happens when the heater is on, not when the AC is though. So I figure I am going to take it in and have them look at it. If it is the heater core, I will ask them to replace the carpet as well.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcounsel
My thought it was from the heater core because its coming from just behind the center console area on the passenger side where the heater core should be, and it only happens when the heater is on, not when the AC is though. So I figure I am going to take it in and have them look at it. If it is the heater core, I will ask them to replace the carpet as well.
Hi,

That is also where the AC Drain is located. You need to feel the carpet and if your fingers are slippery, it's Coolant, possible Heater Core, but most likely a poor hose connection. If it is water, then it is definitely the drain.

In either event, the Carpet and Padding are soaked and won't dry without pulling them. It's likely that even after 24 Hrs. you will have a mold issue, so I'd push for replacement, though I suspect this won't be an easy deal. You don't want to have to smell mold through the life of the Car. Good Luck...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 PM   #12

MNBoxster,

Thanks for the tips. Turned out it was the AC drain that was not connected properly as you presumed. I didn't push hard for the replacement carpet, but I did have them pull the carpet out and dry it. Also had them make sure that floorpan was dry as well. I inspected it myself before they put it back in.

Overall, McKenna Porsche treated me well, and took good care of me.