Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #1

Just Finished Installing my Robbins Top Myself

I just completed installing a Robbins glass window top myself on my 2000 Boxster and wanted to share some of my experience. I purchased mine from Topsonline off of eBay in original A5 canvas for $695. It arrived promptly and came complete with the harness for the window defroster and installation instructions. I also had the original Porsche instructions and Service Bulletin in addition to reading everything I could find about the job on this forum. I have to say that the instructions from Robbins were pretty good and included lots of photos. The only part I struggled with a bit was removing the plastic slide and clamping rail arrangement out of the main bow on each side. In this respect the instructions were vague and the procedure from the Porsche manual was just plain not possible. Once it was apart and I was able to see exactly how it fits together it made the assembly a lot easier. I will say though, that Porsche didn't leave a lot of room to squeeze these parts in and out of place from the main bow.
This was the first time I've ever replaced a top so I took my time working very methodically and slowly. If I had to do another my guess is that it would take me about 8 hours. In my opinion it is well within the capabilities of most DIYers, just requires a lot of patients and attention to detail. The fit is excellent. As good or better then the original with no wrinkles. If anything I'm concerned that it is too tight.
I also played around trying to get the best access to the engine with the top in the service position. Access is best when putting the top in the service position with it opened as little as possible at the front. In this way the window can pass just over the top of the roll bar which helps a lot. I would consider engine access greatly compromised in comparison with the plastic window top, but in the end still sufficient for probably any engine work.
I now understand why Porsche advises that the tension straps (the seat belt like straps on both sides) be replaced together with the top. At first this made no sense to me. Now I understand. Presumably, over time the straps and top stretch naturally in tandem, allowing the tension load to be partially carried by the straps. My new top is so tight that it took quite an effort just to close it. I did not replace the old tension straps and they now hang slack and don't carry any of the tension. I'm a bit concerned that all the tension is now carried solely by the top. The amount of force needed to close it makes me worry that the seams or fabric connection to the window might eventually give out. From what I've read in this forum, it is apparently normal for a new top to be very tight and after a few days it should stretch and require no more then normal force to close. Mine has been in the closed position for 5 days now (albeit parked in the garage) and it is still as tight as ever. I still have to manually force it forward to get the hook to catch and then use a lot of force on the lever to close it. I would be very interested in hearing about any experiences (good or bad) that other members have had with glass top conversions. I've read about some of the problems with the earlier GAHH tops detaching from the window, but assume that has long since been resolved and no longer occurs. Right ??

sboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #2

good job. you are a braver man than I. Takes me about 3 times as long on DIY projects and I always end cutting my hand.

I had the top on my Miata replaced and man that thing was tight for months. Must have been the new cables. That's not an electric top so I had to get out of the car and stand on the rear trunk to force the top closed while someone closed it on the inside!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
no wrinkles, good job. I replaced my top myself also afew months back but i stuck with the plastic window but i did need help from a shop to pull the canvas forward about 1/2 inch more cause the canvas was super tight. Hold process took me 6 hours. I have some wrinkles on my top on the upper left and right side above the door windows but you get what you pay for on eBay.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #4

I am very much a DIY'er, but I'm not sure I'd tackle this job by myself. I AM glad to hear the Robbins glass top comes with the defrost wiring kit.

I think sometime I'll call the local shop listed on Robbin's site to see what they would charge for install, and install with purchase of a top from them.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #5

Oh yeah... post some pics. I'd like to see how you get it into Service Mode.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 04-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #6

Mine was very tight at first. My installer recommended not putting it down for 2 weeks. It will eventually loosen up with warmer weather and use.
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Congratulations on your initiative and your success.
Do post some pictures and welcome to the forum.
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #8

I'd love to see pictures, and possibly the instructions for this... For $700, if it's not too difficult, I might attempt this myself. I'm ALL about saving money when it comes to owning the Porsches.

Does anyone know if Robbins has the instructions on their site? I might get the gumption up to give them a call and see if I can obtain a set, just to see what's involved.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 AM   #9

Good Luck. I tried to get the instructions before ordering my top from Topsonline and even after ordering while I was waiting to receive it. They would not oblige and told me to wait until I receive the instrustions with my top. For what it's worth though, Vic at Topsonline although not able to help out with technical inquiries always provided a prompt response to my questions. On the other hand I tried both e-mailing and leaving voice mail with the Customer Support contacts that Robbins note on their instructions and never got any response.

Attached are a couple of (poor) before and after pics. I haven't yet taken the car out of the garage since changing the top because it doesn't seem to want to stop snowing here in Montreal.

sboost is offline   Reply With Quote