Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #1

Bwahahah!! New Carrera Brakes!

just bought a set of front & rear calipers and disks from a 996 to transplant onto the box (after powder coating, of course)!! i cannot WAIT to get these on the car.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
nice! what color are you powder coating the calipers?
Hopefully the added rotating mass of wider rotors wont slow you down much.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #3

Congratulations. Are the calipers just bolt on parts or are there different brackets and such that need to be installed?

-aren
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Aren't the 996 and 'S' rotors the brakes the same?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #5

I know the fronts are the same. I do not know about the rears.
To get the rear calipers to fit over the rotors, you will need a spacer plate, unless you change out the knuckle to a boxster S knuckle.

FVD sells a very nice kit for the rear conversion from box to box s brakes that provides the necessary spacers, and also a revised backing plate so the parking brake shoes work correctly. You will need a new set of parking brake shoes, and probably new springs as well.

The fronts are a direct swap, plug & play.

And get ready for the board experts to slam you for not needing upgraded brakes for a base boxster because "the base boxster brakes can stop a fully loaded freight train going 80 mph in 10 feet flat" and "getting upgraded brakes is just expensive bling"
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
just bought a set of front & rear calipers and disks from a 996 to transplant onto the box (after powder coating, of course)!! i cannot WAIT to get these on the car.
I thought the rear disk/calipers from an "S" or 996 were incompatible with the base due to the parking brake setup. I know Bembro sells a conversion kit for their "Big Reds", but plug & play with OEM non-base rears was no-go. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time)

Let us know how it works out.
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #7

yes you need spacers for the calipers, a revised backing plate, and the boxster S parking shoes.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #8

I was looking for a used set of Boxster S brakes, but that was before I started the weight-loss plan for the car, cannt add much HP, so off comes the weight. I am now glad I have the lighter brakes, but I will be interested to hear about the difference in stopping power you get. I am lusting after the ceramic brakes, don't need-em, just want-em, have fun,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #9

i got these because i've been experiencing fade at the track during extended lapping sessions. FYI, the fronts are 'plug-and-play' and the rears are close.

i'll be powder coating red w/ white porsche emblems.

pecevil -

why would it require spacers for the calipers? the rear 996 disks are the same diameter as the base box / S box disks. the only difference is the thickness. also, parking shoes for a base box, s box and 996 are the same part numbers.

EDIT: well i'll be damned; the box S and 996 base rotors ARE different. i guess i have some measuring to do. anyone know if the diameter is larger? i thought they were the same as the Box, but 2mm thicker. maybe i can fit an S rotor on there with the 996 caliper? we shall see....

from what i undersand, i only need additional parts if i convert to the S knuckles, because the bearings are bigger, which means that some parking brake hardware needs to be replaced.

since i'm not changing the knuckles, the rear 996 brakes should fit on with no modification at all. i will let you know. also, do you have a link to the FVD kit so i can see what they're talking about? it doesn't really make sense to me. thanks.

also, i'll post my stop distance deltas when i get done with the conversion. i will also be rebuilding and powder coating my old calipers, so if anyone is in the market, let me know (and you can pick the color).

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg

Last edited by insite; 04-03-2007 at 12:27 PM.
insite is offline   Reply With Quote