Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
Valve stem caps

Hey guys I am looking for some new valve stem caps for the best price. I have the heavy solid brass chrome plated kind on my car and they are actually hitting my wheel due centrifugal force! I don't care about the damage as much as the safety factor. They seem to be putting a lot of force on the valve stem because of the weight. Should this be a concern? They have actually pitted the clear coat and paint on the wheel from hitting it I guess. The first pic is what I have and the second is the lighter aluminum one that I'm looking for. Are valve stem supports a good investment as well? Thanks in advance!
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg

Last edited by Adam; 03-28-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Hi,

I have the Aluminum Caps (http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/exac4.html ) and like them alot. They are full length and were designed for the 993 Turbo in order to eliminate the Valve Stem Support. They are a cap and support in one.

They stand out less and so some kid isn't as likely rip them off for his bike as happened twice on my Esprit - only 2 stolen at a time until I replaced them with the Tamper-proof ones...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
Thanks Jim. Are you talking about these? Is it a new valve stem and cap?
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg

Last edited by Adam; 03-29-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Where the Sewer Meets the Sea, CA. USA
Posts: 2,695
Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Those are nice, Ill be buying them soon.
__________________
--Proud Boxster Owner/Tech,

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
HI,

IIRC, these came with Valve Stems as well, but I didn't use them, just the caps. I'll add the Stems when I replace the Tires. Look like these...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-29-2007 at 01:26 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Griggstown, NJ
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Hey guys I am looking for some new valve stem caps for the best price. I have the heavy solid brass chrome plated kind on my car and they are actually hitting my wheel due centrifugal force! I don't care about the damage as much as the safety factor. They seem to be putting a lot of force on the valve stem because of the weight. Should this be a concern? They have actually pitted the clear coat and paint on the wheel from hitting it I guess. The first pic is what I have and the second is the lighter aluminum one that I'm looking for. Are valve stem supports a good investment as well? Thanks in advance!
The manual for the '07 Boxster calls for plastic caps.

Ken
Ken Corsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Where the Sewer Meets the Sea, CA. USA
Posts: 2,695
Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
HI,

IIRC, these came with Valve Stems as well, but I didn't use them, just the caps. I'll add the Stems when I replace the Tires. Look like these...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Jim will the stems look like this when mounted to a normal 17inch twist rim or will they stick out?
__________________
--Proud Boxster Owner/Tech,

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Jim will the stems look like this when mounted to a normal 17inch twist rim or will they stick out?
Hi,

Dunno, that's what they look like on my 18" Turbo Twists, I suspect it would be the same...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Where the Sewer Meets the Sea, CA. USA
Posts: 2,695
Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Dunno, that's what they look like on my 18" Turbo Twists, I suspect it would be the same...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I hope, bought some monday for $15 shipped. ill keep you posted.
__________________
--Proud Boxster Owner/Tech,

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page