Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #1

Proper Oil

This may get me jumped all over, but hey, it's happened before and I have some pretty thick skin, but........
It was brought to my attention by one of my employees that there are two different specifications for what the US considers synthetic oil and what Europe considers synthetic oil.
I went to this site:http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/lubes/pds/glxxenpvlmomobil_1_0w-40.asp

This Mobil 1 is called Super Syn and is the European spec oil that is required by Porsche. I checked with my dealer (in person) and this is indeed the oil they use for all Porsches and they said the normal Mobil 1 available at NAPA, Discount Auto, Walmart, etc., is NOT the same oil, unless you make sure you are getting the correct version. Now, agreed, the dealer has an ulterior motive in trying to convince me I will only get the proper oil if I pay them 300 smackers for an oil change, however, I do read alot of comments about lots of folks here doing there own oil changes and going to places other than the dealer for in between services oil changes.

It is possible, and I did NOT say probable that some of the IMS failures are due to improper oil?

Just an issue for discussion and making sure everyone understands there is more than one Mobil 1 oil.
I was not aware of it, but now I do remember a big hoo-hah between my race engine builder and one of his other customers regarding Mobil 1 not being the same oil it originally was. We used Royal Purple or Redline in my car.
A bottle I had in my trunk, ready to go to the Mazda dealer with my CX7 is the high mileage version 10W30 and it is Super Syn ACEA rated.

Last edited by Quickurt; 07-08-2008 at 08:48 AM. Reason: bear paws and distractions
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #2

This has been covered before, search to find the many threads.

The oil does not affect IMS... unless you're not running enough of it and even then the issue will be to wear out, rather than have the IMS fail. It's a design issue when Porsche redesigned the shaft, eliminating bearings in order to reduce vibration issues.

Yes, all MB1 is not the same, but neither is all synthetic the same either. The type esthers used, the additive packages etc. pretty much all differ brand-to-brand.

There is no 'Best' oil to use - that's fairly subjective. But, there are a group of oils anyone should be using and of these, (Royal Purple, RedLine, MB1, Motul, etc.) they'll all get the job done with proper levels and timely change intervals.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #3

I guess searching for other threads would have been prudent. Honestly, didn't think of it.
The topic was new info to me, so I thought I'd make sure others as dumb as me knew about it!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #4

I gave up on keeping the best oil

I think 90% of keeping your engine healthy is about proper levels and proper service intervals.

Even if you had the best oil in the world, I'm sure it would kill the engine if you didn't change in the right interval. That's my take on it

hqduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong
I gave up on keeping the best oil

I think 90% of keeping your engine healthy is about proper levels and proper service intervals.

Even if you had the best oil in the world, I'm sure it would kill the engine if you didn't change in the right interval. That's my take on it

No doubt!
I went in to my dealer yesterday to find out how much for just an oil change and you'd have thought I kicked them in the b*lls!
"Why do you want to do that? Oil changes are done with the maintenance at 20,000 mile intervals (987) and NASA went to Porsche to design their filter systems and blah, blah, blah, blah."
I don't like the idea of 20,000 miles on ANY oil, but Brumos basically acted like they would not do it. Then my salesman told me they would probably charge me about 300 bucks, since they don't think it should be done.
I have warranty out to 100k miles, but I still have a problem with 20k on oil.