Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #1

Your Best Boxster Story...

As a recent divorcee I have several friends who, in their earnest but misguided, attempts to "help" me meet women will constantly mention that I drive a Porsche. While I love my Boxster it hardly defines who I am and quite frankly it's a bit embarrassing. It's a nice car, but it's just a car. My friend drives a Ferrari F-40, now that I could see mentioning (of course he doesn't either).

So last week I'm watching NCAA basketball at my local watering hole. It had been mid 70's all week and I took the Boxster there. Now, I've been going there for over 8 years and I always manage to find a parallel parking spot right in front of the door. As a regular, it's practically a sign to my friends and the staff that "Pete's here!"

Well, two pretty young things sit down next me at the bar (and by young I mean around 25 and far to young for me). As a friendly type I recognized that they were probably new. So, I looked over and asked which game they were at the bar to watch - the staff is pretty friendly and will switch games around as desired. To which the one next to me responded, "What kind of car do you drive?" Honest. First words out of this girls mouth, "What kind of car do you drive?"

For a second I thought I was in the movie Swingers with Vince Vaughn about to come up at any time and say, "You're so money and you don't even know it." I took a moment and replied, "87 Dodge Omni. But it still has the original paint!"

She looked at me for a second, cocked her head, and then swiveled back to her friend with a swish of her hair and without a word. Never looked back and never heard a thing from her the rest of the evening.

Well, after watching the games I ordered some food to go. My food arrived at the same time the two girls were getting their tab. I paid mine and walked out to my Boxster and got ready to head home.

I had just fired it up, was adjusting the radio and turning on the seats and heat when the same two girls walk out. She looks at the car, looks at me, then looks at the car again. She walks up to the passenger side and, with a bit of a smile, says, "You know, if you told me you drove a Porsche I would have talked to you."

I paused, cocked my head a bit and replied, "And if you didn't care that I drove a Porsche I would have talked to you." And I drove off.....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #2

Good story - sorry to hear about your divorce. You are quicker than I am. I would have probably come up with that line, but it would have been 2 hours later and I would keep kicking myself for weeks for not having delivered it on the spot.

Did you at least do the world a favor and run the girl over in the parking lot?

On a side note: I can imagine there are a lot of great roads for a Boxster where you live.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg

Last edited by Dr. Kill; 03-24-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
boggtown

I think everyone doesnt talk about our cars. I dont mention it, but all my friends do, lol. I have many stories with the help of the boxster since im a young stud, lol, but I feel it best to only tell a G one. I was at this party and I drive up and park outside the house and go in. Like half an hour later these girls are looking out the window and see my car, there like holy crap and come look for me since I was the last one to come in. Long story short I had company all throughout the party, and when it came time to go, I had to fit 3 girls in my car. But as long as you have skinny girls, you can fit 3 of them in there for future reference.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:04 AM   #4

Twice on a freeway

Two blonds smiling and giving me a thumbs up, 2nd was a brunette (with a guy in the passenger's seat) smiling with a seductive look on her face. I'm sure it was the boxster co'z this never happened when I ride in my Toyota 4runner. Now I know why they call it a chick's car.
speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #5

Pete,

Great story and great comeback. I am also a recent divorcee and my friends do the same thing about telling others I drive a Porsche, and yes, it is quite embarrassing.
GmanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:16 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Well after a day at work I dropped the top and was cruising home. I pulled up to a red light and was prepared to take a right and boy oh boy,next to me was a car full of women(attractive,18-20ish,my age). One rolls down the window and says "Hey stud can I go for a ride?" now after she did this she made the jesture of putting part of the male anatomy in her mouth and moving it in and out. I raised one brow and smirked at her, made me wonder what she wanted to "ride". The light changed and I said "maybe next time" and made my turn. Even though she was more then likely kidding,that had to be my funniest expierence with the Boxster.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #7

@blink's experience:
Hey that's exactly what happen to me but not with a car full of woman your age...I was driving with top down and on the stop light, was a georgeous woman said the same thing but it was my wifey....hahahahaha!

gosh, were was the Boxster when I was in my prime years :troll:
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:33 AM   #8

I Met Jessica Simpson

A couple of weeks ago we had our first 70 deg day. It was the first day golf courses had been open since Dec. I was playing a course that for some reason wouldn't rent carts, so we had to walk. I'm no where close to being in Summer shape but I figured I could do it. After the round, one of the guys asked me if I wanted to join him and his new bride (a co-worker of mine) for sushi. I initially declined figuring the ambition meter would hit zero when I got home but I decided to use the shark theory and keep moving and make it to supper.

This particular sushi bar is very popular and parking out in the boonies wasn't possible. As I'm pulling into the parking lot, there is a Sebring conv with 2 blondes ahead of me. As luck would have it, there were consecutive parking spots available, so I parked to their right. The passenger was nice looking, so I was going to say hello after I got the top up. I get out of the car and before I can say anything the driver says hello. She looks exactly Jessica Simpson. I return the hello and we all go into the sushi bar. I position myself at my table so I can keep an eye on her, planning some strategy on how to meet her (I'm not real good at that). I figure I would have the waiter bring her another drink but she's nursing her margaritta like it has to last until 2012. Then the wait staff bring something to her table and sing her Happy Birthday. The girls spot an available table on the patio, so they go out there. Not long after another table opens up on the patio so we also go out. She's still barely dented her drink. Not long after they are paying their bill and prepping to leave. Our patio table was right next to the entrance, so I wished her a Happy Birthday as they left. Her friend spotted our dessert sushi and chatted momentarily about it and then they disappeared into another store in the strip mall. I borrowed a pen from my co-worker and wrote Happy Birthday and my phone number on my business card. I put it on her windshield and left.

A couple of hrs later I get a phone call. There was very loud music in the backround and it was very hard to hear but "Jessica" says she got my card and wondered why I didn't say hello. I said I said hello when we met in the parking lot and that I had the blue conv (I didn't want to say Porsche and sound arrogant). She said she didn't remember. I said I wished her a Happy Birthday when she left the sushi bar and our group chatted about our dessert. She said she didn't remember. I said you must be having a heck of a birthday celebration. There was an awkward pause as I tried to figure out how she couldn't remember me. "Jessica" broke the silence by saying she had to go and hung up. She sounded coherent and she sure didn't look like much of a drinker, so I don' think she was drunk. Hmmm, maybe I needed to rethink the theory that someone who looks like Jessica Simpson would have to be smarter than Jessica. Her name and number came through on my caller ID but I never called her back. Guess the statute of limitations has expired on that one. Somehow I'm not losing sleep over it.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #9

Geez you guys get all the nice comments, being a gray haired old fart all I get are the other comments. When we first moved into our neighborhood I had both my P-cars outside being washed and polished, the stay at home moms from down the street come walking by and one turns to the other and goes "I wonder what he is trying to compensate for", I yelled back at her that I was trying hard to compensate for a positive cash flow wife. I applied for a specialty plate CMPNS8, I wonder if they would give it to me, I would have gone for LILDIK but I figured somebody with a Corvette already has it.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i always laugh at those "I wonder what he is trying to compensate for" comments
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #11

Just after church last year, a young woman (the daughter of a frind of ours at church) eluded to the fact that I must be fabulously wealthy to own and drive a Porsche.

Oddly enough, when I bought the car her mother told her that I paid less for the boxster than she paid for her new Ford.

Mostly, the comments I receive surround the fact that I must be taking a very large salary from my organization to drive a Pcar.

I do get frequent comment from panhandlers at intersections (with the top down) that they like the car and would like me to give it to them if I am tired of it. I always reply that if they'd like to take the insurance payments and the maintenance costs over from me, I'd entertain the offer and they just walk away.

After all, my boxster in particular has not been cheap to keep running or insure in the 4th largest city in the USA.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #12

I was coming out of the grocery store one Saturday right after I got the car and a mid-40s looking guy was looking at it. When I opened the door he commented that it was a nice car and asked what I did that I could drive a Porsche to get groceries. I said "I married a doctor".

I love using that line.

Too bad my wife didn't actually buy the car, she's going to be paying off school for the rest of her life from what I can tell.

http://foo21.no-ip.info/boxster/boxster_sig_2.jpg
This isn't the Boxster you're looking for...
kelly1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #13

My Boxster Story

I posted this (a slightly different version on PPBB) about 7 months ago but I figured some of you might enjou the read.

I have been lusting after Porsche’s for 30 years. The first Porsche I loved was a cute red 924; I was a poor student in England at the time so even considering such a car was out of the question. Just for comparison (the older Brits will know what I am talking about) I was driving a clapped out Ford Cortina with a rebuilt 1.3 Liter engine enlarged to 1.6 Liters with more rust than I care to mention.

The years rolled on I moved to the USA (bought a Mustang), later I test drove a used Porsche 944, and bought a first year VW Rabbit GTI (quite a car at the time) and drove it into the ground, 180,000 miles! Early in my GTI years I fell in love got married had two great kids, bought the Volvo station wagon for my wife, owned a Mercedes 190E 2.6, which was followed by a Mercedes C280. My cars needed four seats and had to be safe and practical (according to my wife) to go with my long commute, during that time my wife had several SUVs (it’s a kid thing). We always looked at various Porsches, my wife and I would regularly go to car shows to look at the latest models. I loved the Boxster prototype and said I will buy one. In 2001 (age 46) I decided to buy a nice car (it needed to be comfortable and carry 4) a Mercedes CLK320 seemed to fit the bill (only 2 doors, but 4 seats), the Porsche would have to wait. In 2004 we completed our westward cross country journey (from Connecticut to California via Utah – another story). Early in 2006 my wife and I decided to buy a fun car for the weekends. One kid out of the house, employed and a home owner, he drives a VW GTI (Good taste in cars that kid, so we did some things right) the other will be in college this year and we have that covered, so early 2006 we test drove a number of fun cars. I lusted after a Porsche and test drove several of them. We also looked at other cars, my wife always loved Corvettes so of course we looked at a number of them, she loved the sound of the V8 but found the car to be a bit frightening, we also drove a SLK350 a Miata (quite a car for the money) and others but none of them sung to either of us quite like the Porsche Boxster, after spending a nice afternoon looking at various Porsche cars my wife said that out of all the sports cars we looked at that the Porsche’s were classy, glued to the road, solid stable and nimble, we agreed to look for a 2003 (or newer) Boxster S. We even discussed buying new and spent a few evenings together playing with the Porsche configurator, we both decided that Carrera White was the color for us with either a grey or brown interior, A few weeks later my wife became ill and died (we had been together for 24 years), I did not get the Porsche in the spring as planned. Late summer I started to look for a Boxster (again) it was tough to find one with the right options, I had waited 30 years so I would take it easy and find what I wanted (this board was a great source of info). Saturday September 2, 2006 after test driving some used Boxsters I bought a slightly used 2006 Boxster S, the previous owner had it for 4 months. The dealer called me the week earlier to say that it was coming in (it was a bit more $, than I intended to spend) but he said I had to look at it. The first time I saw it I knew I was going to buy it, It was configured almost exactly the way my wife and I had built one on the WEB, the only additions were a sport shifter and 19 inch Sport Design wheels. The sales guy I was working with had had it cleaned up and asked the service manager to leave it in the repair shop until I came in (he wanted first dibs on the car for me). After a brief test drive and a little negotiation the car was mine. After we shook hands another sales rep approached my guy and wanted to let another couple take it for a run – too late it was mine, fate (my wife?) had intervened. I took my daughter with me to pick it up; she drove me to the dealership. She got a definite case of permagrin just sitting in the car. She has to learn to drive a shift before she can drive it, I am not sure she will learn in the Boxster! When I got in the car to drive it home I wished my wife was with me but I knew my wife was smiling down on me, she would have loved this car. She had learned a lot about cars while we were married and the last car she drove was an 05 BMW 325i with the sports suspension, she loved that car, she did not drive fast but she loved the way it handled. The drive home was a great experience top down all the way (40 miles mostly at highway speeds).

Sunday mornings when the weather is nice I like to drive top down (even when it is 45 degrees) through the winding mountain roads where I live (Northern CA). Driving through the mountain roads (mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear) listening to some of my favorite tunes with the wind in my hair is wonderful. This morning I took the car out for one of my favorite twisty runs, I played one of the CDs my wife loved, I know that she would have loved the morning runs.

In the last 7 months I have really learned a lot about driving this car (I’ve driven it about 3,000 miles, it is not my daily driver), the engine roar between 5K to 7K is really satisfying and pretty fast on even in 2nd gear on the roads in my neighborhood. I plan on doing some autocross with PCA latter this spring so I am looking forward to improving my skills. At the same I have found piece with what happened and with God, I am looking forward to moving forward with my life, I spend less time at work, made some new friends, savor early morning drives in my Boxster and a nice glass of wine before I go to bed.

Buying a Porsche is a special event, it is not up there with getting married and bringing up a family, but if I could change one thing, it would be to have lived a few more adventures with my wife. To all those of you who are waiting to buy a Boxster, make sure you take care of your family, but buy that Boxster you have been looking at and enjoy it while you can.
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #14

Hi,

@MartinJ - My condolences for you and your Family's loss. Your story was heartwarming and in my book ranks as the best one yet.

I have only been with my wife for 11 yrs., married for 8. As I was already 45, and my wife on the rise in what has become a very promising career, we chose to forego having children. To concentrate on each other.

But, I was fortunate to have raised 2 wonderful girls from a past relationship. We're all still very close. Our oldest Girl was 2 when I came into her life and the youngest was 13 mos. - born 8 mos. after her Father was killed in an auto accident. I raised those kids 'til they went to college and was always called Dad as neither had any memory of their Father. Now the youngest, Mina, just having finished her surgical residency, is getting married in June in Chicago, and I'll be taking her up the aisle, as I did her older sister.

My wife travels for a living and is away 6 mos. of the year in 2-2½ week intervals. When she's away, even though we speak usually twice a day, the house gets quiet and so many things I wish we could do together have to be sacrificed for the job she loves. I couldn't help but relating to some of your passages about your wife and how much you appreciated her. I have the same feelings for Brenda. I can't imagine how difficult it has been for you, and as my wife is 9 yrs. my junior, hope that I never will learn.

My wife wasn't at all into cars when we met, in fact she used to remark "what am I doing with you? I've never been into a Car Guy before..." I reminded her that opposites do attract.

Now she's totally into cars and encourages my hobby tremendously. We regularly attend Car Shows, do rallys and Gymkanas, or just hop in and go where the road takes us. She even did her 1st Auto-X last year and loved it. Our years together have been the most wonderful part of an otherwise pretty wonderful life for me. I hope that we have many decades together ahead of us.

But, your story reminded me of how much more I need to appreciate her while I'm able. She returns from the WGC CA Championship in Miami on Tuesday, and your words left me wanting for her even more.

Good Luck to you as you move your life along and with your new Boxster. Cherish the memories! From what I've read, I'm sure you have many, many to choose from. Fare Well...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ MartinJ,

Where in NorCal are you located?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:01 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Martin,
thx a lot for sharing your story with us.
enjoy your boxster
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 AM   #17

Hi Blinkwatt

I live in Nevada City about 68 miles NNE of Sacramento. There are a number of people living around Sac that post on this board and PPBB. Perhaps a little drive is in order.

Martin
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #18
bmussatti

Martin, thanks for sharing your wonderful story!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:08 AM   #19

What a wonderful story Martin. Thank you so very much for sharing it with us. I know I had a lump in my throat.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #20

Martin, I'm sad to hear your wife didn't get to experience the Boxster with you... among many other things. Trust that she is with you in spirit.

I get some people that think I must be rich driving a Boxster... one kid at the grocery store asked how much I got it for, he threw out "fifty, sixty thousand?". Told him no, got it used for $19k.

Then one day I pull into work (I do technical support at Dell), and a lady that works there is walking out with her husband (it's in the afternoon, I had training in the evening), and he asks if I work there. He thought a tech didn't make enough to afford a car like that! He was also shocked when I told him I got it used for $19k!

Haven't had any chick encounters yet, but I'm not the type to use the kind of car I drive to get tail. Well.... maybe...

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote